• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sports ► Magic: The Gathering

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg

Magic: The Gathering
is easily the nerdiest thing I do. I love the game, though. Recently I've started to get back into it due to some close friends who are apparently into it.

For those that don't know, Magic: The Gathering (Also just called Magic, or MTG for short), is the original trading card game, published by Wizards of the Coast in 1993. It obviously wasn't the origin of trading cards (see: baseball cards), but it is where things like the Pokemon trading card game, Yu-Gay-Oh, etc. come from.

A lot of people, myself included, are initially drawn in by the badass art that appears on the cards.

161.jpg
2%29%20Kazandu%20Blademaster%20lg.jpg

7%29%20Flamebreak%20lg.jpg
291.jpg

At it's most basic level, the game itself is easy enough. Decks are typically anywhere between 60-100 cards depending on the game type. Again, at the most basic level, the game consists of two types of cards: Lands and Spells (basically, everything that isn't a land). You use lands to cast these "spells", whether they be creatures or magic (heh) with the intent of depleting your opponent(s)'s health points to 0 first.

Of course, that's just the most basic bit. It's not hard to become introduced and play the game. But as you delve deeper, Magic becomes steadily more strategic, and even outrageous, especially when building your own deck and finding what works and doesn't. Soon you realize that certain cards or abilities can only be played at certain times, or only affect certain things, and then some. A big part of the charm is building and winning for the first time with a deck you created. There's nearly 13,000 cards to choose from according to the official database.

There's tons, tons more I could say about it, but that would take time nobody has. It's just one of those games where you enjoy it and learn as you go.

I'm really more curious about who here does/has played the game. What's your favorite color(s) or types of decks to run and do you play regularly or has it been a long time since you picked it up?

[Disclaimer: I picked the Sports prefix because I couldn't post the thread without one. It is competitive and there's no "game" option. However, apart from the Duels of the Planeswalkers deal, this is not a video game and does not belong in that subforum]

Awards
Yeah, the art is fantastic and the artists are paid well for quality work. It's very inspiring, and even though the artwork back in the day had some great stuff, as a whole, MTG art has improved as time goes on and Wizards of the Coast gains more profit to pump into their game/cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back