• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts: Dark Horizons

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrer

Living in the vicinity of Kingdom Hearts.
Disclaimer: All game characters and devices belong to their proper company. All characters and devices that have been clearly created from scratch for the use of the story belong to the author.

Story Summary: The future as Ienzo Saw it had a black horizon with no sun. The Keyblade Masters were going to be drawn into a war they would never be ready for. The Princesses of Heart must make a choice between their forgotten duties or their hearts. And the man who had tried so hard to prevent this would fail...all his pain for almost nothing at all.

Chapter Summary: “And what will that do you?” Ienzo muttered. “Go ahead Kake, shut me up! It won’t do you any good. I’ve Seen! You can’t change anything I’ve Seen or will See! Even if you manage to stop it from happening one way, it will happen another!” Ienzo’s brother started crying right along with Ienzo. He must’ve known what was going to happen and it had torn his precious little brother to pieces. The Eye of the Sun…was a horrendous thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Start-Prologue------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hurry it up! ” A male voice made bodiless by the sandstorm cried out, he was clearly exhausted. Magic was the only thing that allowed his voice to travel the distance from his position on the battlefield through the storm.

We’re working as fast as we can, hold them off just a bit longer,” came the desperate reply of a tired, thin man. A huddle of five was blurred to near invisibility by the buffeted sands. A dark light flashed in the distance, vivid and defying the obscuring storm and its fraternal twin fired off into the sky before arching back down to the earth. The resulting shockwave nearly knocked the group off their feet and they paused to get their balance back. They refocused their power back on the weapons lying in the middle of their circle, bending to their knees and moving closer for stability as their protectors’ powers continued to shake the ground. They had to work faster without sacrificing quality. Everyone that was out here knew just how important this was.

That’s why there were people on both sides of the battlefield. The people trying to prevent what the family were doing and the other group fending off those people.

“One finished.” The oldest in appearance coughed hoarsely and stood, picking up a gold and silver weapon. He stood away from the circle and hurled it into the air with more force than a man of his age should have. He quickly squatted back down and reapplied his power to the mix. “Brace yourselves my siblings.” They all crouched low and found a way to keep their hands steady so they didn’t have to stop.

The resulting shockwave that shouldn’t have been possible nearly threw them off anyways and it almost didn’t matter because the remaining weapons moved out of place. The family of five rushed to keep them within the circle.

“Two finished,” the second oldest informed shakily…weak from the strain of all the work. She performed the same action the older one had and they this time paused and held the weapons down when the shockwave came, regardless of how fast they needed to work.

A terrible shriek sounded in the distance, emphasized by a prominent blast of energy. The youngest turned slightly, but the one next to him refocused his attentions. Three figures appeared out of the blinding storm and paused.

“We’ve got three more to go milord! Please try to hold them off for that long,” the eldest of the family begged, turning slightly and quieted, still refusing to stop though it was very clearly obvious to him and the others that their side had lost.

“I think, that you should stop now,” the smooth voice suggested in friendly tones. The face was twisted into anything but. The siblings didn’t reply, just kept working. The disobedience angered the man into a rage immediately. “I said stop! ” Reaching forwards, he grabbed the eldest by the back of his neck and pulled him away.

“Keep going!” He ordered to the others, still trying to add his own power to their project. When the grip on his neck tightened, he stopped and went still.

“Xedram!” The younger of the two females screamed, golden eyes wide in terror, thinking her brother was dead. Their attacker frowned. He hadn’t killed the man, hadn’t even snapped Xedram’s neck…so why was the man dead?

A soft blue glow covered Xedram’s body, humming softly in sorrow and then buzzing in anger, burning the man’s hand. With a yelp, he dropped the body. The older woman laughed hard and loud, understanding what was happening as Xedram’s body faded to the light. It split into five orbs; two smaller orbs that flew away and the three larger orbs hit one of the weapons.

“Three finished,” the third of them declared, haughty and sneering, her eyes bright with triumph and satisfaction and tears of sorrow. She picked up the completed weapon and hurled it before any of the enemy could do anything.

“Dey are so determined, are dey not?” An accented voice commented at the scene, a black smile on the owner’s face. “Makes you redink killing dem…olmost anyway.” The strangers struggled to stay upright when the shockwave came.

The remaining four continued working without pause, the eldest (now that Xedram was dead) continued laughing at their to-be murderers. One more weapon was finished because of their brother’s sacrifice. These weapons would be so powerful with the gift of their brother’s very life…and with hers.

“Rekzma!” The youngest cried out as his sister became enveloped in a glaring red light that became three small orbs, which disappeared and two larger orbs that hit the remaining weapons.

“They’re probably the only two of the Xreschaz family that were at that level. We should be able to kill the rest. Two incomplete is better than nothing,” the last figure said. He was clearly the calmest of the lot and the most levelheaded.

“Yes, meybe, but Set will not be happy regardless,” the woman took out a large stylized sickle and held it at the remaining female’s neck. The girl leaned away without stopping her flow of power. “Mey I kill her now?”

“Of course,” the third member of the party replied in bored tones. “But her only. It the youngest two Set wants, especially the littlest one. He’s the one with the Eye of the Sun.” The hot-tempered man walked behind the youngest and jerked his head back to reveal the black birthmark around the boy’s closed left eye.

“Impressive.”

“Let him go!” The girl cried out.

“Be silent,” the woman drew back the sickle and spun around, crudely decapitating the girl. Her body fell; power still surging from hands that didn’t register a missing head…but it was enough.

“Xehtra!” The youngest cried out, tears falling from only his right eye. His brother hissed in disgust as the blood splatter over him, the sand, and the weapons and snagged the blood-covered weapon that had been completed. He spun around to throw it, but the third member snapped his own scimitar against it. The older of what remained of the Xreschaz family hit the ground.

“Set’ll like having one of Xreschaz family creations. You always did made the best,” the third member reached down and tried to pry it from the winded boy’s fingers.

“So, are we going to let dem finish the second?”

“Set will disprove of the risk, but he’ll like having them more. We might be able to get off with a heavy scolding for it,” the third tore the weapon away, carefully placing a booted foot on the boy’s chest to hold him down. A golden glare was shot his direction as the boy moved his arms to continue working on the last of the weapons.

“Let go of Ienzo’s hair so he can see what he’s doing,” the pinned one pleaded. “Please.”

You’re in a position to beg,” the hot-tempered one muttered and jerked Ienzo’s hair, making the smaller one whimper.

“Let him go! You’ll throw him off! Set will be pleased if you bring him these two, non-imprinted Masteredges, won’t he? He’ll be able to imprint them himself!” The brother licked dry lips and regretted it when the sand stung them and stuck. The third man nodded his head.

“I’d say hold a blade to his throat, but we’ve already said how much Set wants him. So…if he stops, we’ll just kill his brother.”

“Not that it matter,” Ienzo answered hollowly. “I’ve already Seen what’s going to happen.”

“Ienzo!” His brother hissed. “You shouldn’t be telling anyone if you’ve Seen anything!”

“No one’s really going to like it anyways,” Ienzo continued, still working on the weapon in front of him. “You all won’t like it, Set won’t like it, the ones in the future won’t like it, our lord won’t like it, and I hate it.” The three antagonists frowned at one another.

“Ienzo….”

“I’m going to hate it…but hey, I can get a head start on building up some walls,” Ienzo’s voice cracked and he laughed mirthlessly. “Not that it’ll help.”

“The kid is crazy,” the woman scorned. “Kake, we should shut him up.”

“And what will that do you?” Ienzo muttered. “Go ahead Kake, shut me up! It won’t do you any good. I’ve Seen! You can’t change anything I’ve Seen or will See! Even if you manage to stop it from happening one way, it will happen another!” Ienzo’s brother started crying right along with Ienzo. He must’ve known what was going to happen and it had torn his precious little brother to pieces. The Eye of the Sun…was a horrendous thing.

“He’s been given a gift, it seems.” Their lord had said that with little glorification when Ienzo was born. His life had been a miracle really; they had had to forcefully take Ienzo from their mother’s dead body. Gift was such a positive word. They hadn’t realized…what a poor family they’d been.

“And I hate it.”

“Ienzo…I’m sorry. I was never a good brother was I?”

“Not particularly.”

“H-hey, you’re supposed to comfort me and say I was brilliant!” Ienzo giggled at the exclamation.

“‘Ow touching, brotherly love! Makes you want to,” the woman paused for dramatic effect, poor as it was. “Throw. Up.”

“We’re done.” Ienzo informed as he and his brother stopped.

“And so are they! ” A figure burst from the buffeting sands’ cloak, a straight katana with a jagged edge plunged straight through the hot-tempered one’s heart.

“Vhat! Volf!” The woman cried out, readying her sickle. Wolf stared down at the bloodied sword in shock and his body hit the ground with a muffled thud. “Aa—” Her head fell to the sands, torn off rather than sliced as her victim’s had been. Behind her was a young man, large wings protecting his bare skin from the sands. Both hands were covered with the blood from several hours worth of fighting. Kake snarled, backing away from the two brothers in a hurry, but the one he trapped sprung forward and grabbed the weapon away from him. He tried for again, hissing, but was kicked into the sands.

“Run home to Set, Kake. You’ve lost here.”

“You!” Kake gaped in astonishment at the figure towering over him.

“Me.” The reply came, steadily. Amber eyes that seemed to glow stared down at Kake. Kake glanced towards the sky and laughed in sharp triumph. All eyes shot towards the heavens as the dark clouds swirled angrily and the sandstorm stopped. The sand still in the air fell to the earth.

“Lord Set!” Kake cried out as a figure materialized.

“Magnificent Kake,” Set praised.

“But Lord Set, we didn’t succeed. Wolf and Ania are dead!” Kake cried in anguish.

“Forcing the older two of the Xreschaz family to commit Martyrdom like that, put a very noticeable trace on the third,” Set smirked blackly. Out of his cloak, he pulled a familiar object.

“But the shockwave—” Kake started.

“Was caused by me to trick them. Without even one of their precious weapons, they will not be able to do a thing!” Set frowned at the body of Ania.

“Such crude methods you have, half-breed,” Set hissed at the winged creature.

“She did the same to Xehtra,” came the steady reply.

“At least it was clean. You’re a beast.” Set watched Ienzo carefully pick up the last weapon. “What are doing boy?”

“I know.” Ienzo said and left it at that. The boy’s face was forlorn and tired.

“So, what does the mighty Sun God have to say now?” Set sneered at Wolf’s killer.

“You haven’t won anything yet,” the man winced at the title. “Five against two, favoring us.”

“Don’t you mean three? They aren’t much of fighters,” Set raised on hand and summoned fire to hand. “Anyways, you still lose!” The weapon was thrown into the air and the fireball melted it into two.

“No!” Ienzo’s brother cried out in shock and mortification. Their lord’s face had twisted into one of anger and the power that had earned him the title ‘Sun God’ crackled around him and Set’s power began to do the same. Ienzo hugged his brother tightly.

“You’ve been…a great brother,” the two powers connected and the weapons in their hands reacted violently. “I love you.”

“Ienzo…aaaaaaggh!” Power tore at the brother’s clothing, their skin…their very beings. Ienzo continued to clutch his brother even as the vanished in a brilliant flair of light and darkness. Not that holding onto each other would help any.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was so dark here. Where was here anyways? He’d been wandering around in this darkness for so long it seemed. He glanced down at the weapon in his hand and decided that here was good as any dark black place to set it. He raised and slammed it into the ground.

“Three finished.”

Sometime Later

“Man, where is Teacher?” A whiney teen shivered. “He should’ve been here damn—ow!” The boy held his head

“Language, Dilan,” the woman watching them scowled fiercely at the boy. “You’re being a bad influence.”

“On who? Even?” Dilan complained. “As if I could make him stop speaking in scientific terminology twenty-four-seven!” This earned him an icy glare from the slightly younger male, whose nose was stuck in a book.

“Ienzo’s eleven.”

Ienzo? ” Braig laughed. “Oh please, he knows more curse words than I do!” A sharp glance was given to the boy in question. Ienzo sat huddled on the bench, staring dully at a spot in the distance, as if that could make his teacher appear. The woman frowned thoughtfully, something wasn’t quite right. Ienzo was regularly moody, but now he seemed depressed.

“Ienzo?”

“Ooooh, Ienzo’s getting scolded!” Dilan, Braig, and Elaeus sneered. Their watcher shot them a jagged glance and they quieted immediately.

“Ienzo, what is it?” The boy suddenly stood up, eyes locked on something in the rain. “Ienzo!” He bolted out into the rain to meet Ansem and the weak form he carried.

‘He’s got brother with him.’

“Hey, looks like Teach picked up another stray,” Elaeus commented.

-------------------------------------End-Prologue------------------------------------------

Author's Rant: My most typical response to the prologue is: "This is confusing!" Well...it's supposed to be. Ignoring that, I'd still like to hear your thoughts....

I don't get a lot of feedback generally.

Last edited:

Ferrer

Living in the vicinity of Kingdom Hearts.
Disclaimer: All game characters and devices belong to their proper company. All characters and devices that have been clearly created from scratch for the use of the story belong to the author.

Story Summary: The future as Ienzo Saw it had a black horizon with no sun. The Keyblade Masters were going to be drawn into a war they would never be ready for. The Princesses of Heart must make a choice between their forgotten duties or their hearts. And the man who had tried so hard to prevent this would fail...all his pain for almost nothing at all.

Summary: “Sora, I think the ship’s malfunctioning.” Riku’s heart was sinking into his stomach and he didn’t know why. This was wonderful; they were going to get lost on the way back. That sound was the APS (Approaching Planet System), telling them they were at their destination. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. “Turn it off.” Why did his voice hold a tremble and a tone of fear in it? Everything was okay, the APS was just malfunctioning and that was all.

--------------------------------------Start-Chapter-One-----------------------------------

“Going home at last! Yahoo!” Riku chuckled at Sora’s enthusiasm as the teen continued his little song up at the controls, warily watching space around them, there wasn’t going to be much for him to worry about since they were in hyperspace...but still…. They’d been away at Atlantica for the past three months raiding King Triton’s records of previous Heartless Wars and ancient Keybladers and uncovering what was probably the largest part missing from Atlantica’s history, literally and figuratively. The missing city of Atlantis was no longer missing and everyone above and below the sea was ecstatic. There were talks of raising the old (and miraculously intact) city above waters.

Considering that Riku and Sora would be near useless in designing a way to do that and make the city remain above water, they’d gotten a vacation home. There were probably going to be a ton of records in the city once it was raised. Who knew what they’d find once they were able to get in the rooms.

“Going home at last! Yahoo!” Sora cheered again and again.

“Hey Sora?” Riku asked.

“Huh?”

“Shut up.” Sora stuck his tongue at him and sulked in his seat as he continued to drive. Riku chuckled again and reopened the book of notes he’d been reading from one of the actual archeologists that were working at the Atlantian City.

“Going home at last…,” Sora whispered.

“Sora!” Sora just laughed.

Silence. It was the only thing truly living in this empty void anymore. The occupants of the single, large Gummi Ship were quiet, except for some muffled sobs of the drugged survivors. The one that wasn’t crying hadn’t been a native to the now-destroyed planet. He’d been there for one reason and one reason only.

To save the Princess of Heart that had lived there. He was also glad he had fitted much more space for people on the ship than he had known would be necessary. He bent over the girl his goal had been. She was the most heavily drugged of the lot. He gently pushed back some stray hair from her face and tucked in the sheets more closely about her shoulders. She stirred slightly and stared through heavily glazed eyes.

“I—Ienzo?” He paused and then answered.

“Not quite princess.”

“Sora, what was that?” Riku asked as the Gummi Ship shuddered suddenly.

“I don’t know. This has never happened before,” the younger Keyblader replied, brow furrowed in concentration. “I’m coming out of hyperspace early. Destiny Islands isn’t too far away from this point, so it not gonna be super far from us.”

“Al—right?” Riku gaped at the scenery before him. The space around them was littered with debris. Hunks of rocks and other unidentified things floated serenely on what looked like a battle had taken place.

“What happened here?” Sora exclaimed. Both boys felt an incredible relief that this mess wasn’t their world and that Destiny Islands was just up ahead.

Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip.

“Sora, I think the ship’s malfunctioning.” Riku’s heart was sinking into his stomach and he didn’t know why. This was wonderful; they were going to get lost on the way back. That sound was the APS (Approaching Planet System), telling them they were at their destination. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. Blip. “Turn it off.” Why did his voice hold a tremble and a tone of fear in it? Everything was okay, the APS was just malfunctioning and that was all.

“Riku,” Sora’s voice cracked and Riku shoved his harness off and went to the deathly pale boy’s side. “It’s gone Riku. She’s gone.” Riku dropped to his knees and pulled Sora from the seat and into his arms. “She’s gone.” Sora pressed against him, trembling and clinging. “They’re gone.” Riku didn’t dare think of names and their owner’s faces. He’d start crying and he needed to be strong for Sora right now.

Kairi’s gone! Destiny Islands is gone! Mom and Dad and everyone are gone! ” Sora screamed, crying into Riku’s shirt. The names and their faces came in a rush. He couldn’t help it.

Riku cried.

“Khalid, what are you doing?” The person in question looked up.

“Packing for you, Ra, what else would I be doing?” Khalid demanded. “You’ve got enough other things to worry about before we leave.”

“I wonder why the Council is making me leave at all,” Ra muttered angrily as he sat next to Khalid, legs tucked underneath him and leaning on one hand. The position was rather feminine, but with a bad leg, it was difficult to sit cross-legged. “We’ve still got Set to worry about. He’s disappeared.”

“Maybe he disappeared to the Outside?” Khalid suggested.

“What would be out there than he could want?” Ra scowled.

”The Daughters of Ra,” Khalid replied. Ra hissed angrily at the idea, ice-yellow eyes flaring and his power crackling around him. Khalid had been expecting that response. “And only because capturing them would tick you off would he want them. He’s not dumb enough to kill them, our world maybe isolated, but we’re still part of the Realm of Light. They die, we all go poof. ” Ra laughed at that.

“Poof? Silly word coming from you,” Ra smirked.

“Yeah, well…a more accurate word might be boom, ” Khalid replied offhand, busy wrapping up Ra’s journal and writing supplies together in a neat bundle and set it aside to put in last.

“If only the outcome would be that quick,” Ra murmured. Ra lay down, head resting on folded arms. “I wonder how they’re doing. I wonder if they’re any stronger than their predecessors.”

“I guess we’ll find out when we go,” Khalid shrugged. “Is it just the two of us?”

“Yes. The Council said it would better if it were just the two of us. They don’t want the people from Atlantica to recognize who we are. It’ll be bad enough with resemblance.”

“Atlantica?” Khalid asked, pausing packing up some herbal and ointment items.

“Apparently, it’s been a near five million years outside of our little space bubble and names of places and things have changed,” Ra frowned. “The Council will keep up the invisibility shielding, but their taking out whatever time shit that’s been running along in the overall spell.” Khalid whistled.

“You know that most likely makes you and your Guard the oldest living mortal beings in the entire span time and space, right?” He teased gently.

“I’m more concerned if we’ll be speaking the same language. We’re not exactly native to the time period anymore,” Ra rolled onto his back and folded his hands on his chest.

“Won’t be a problem for me!” Khalid chirped snidely. “My kind has built-in translators.”

“Then you can translate everything I need to say or is said to me for me.”

“That’ll be awkward,” Khalid mused. “I’ll just be speaking their dialect to them and repeating it at you.”

“Then whisper it in my ear, the Council isn’t going to waste their energy on some spell that translates for me,” Ra scowled. The Council could be either completely agreeable or disagreeable. The thing that Ra hated was that he could often do without things he knew would be helpful but the Council wouldn’t allow and how the Council agreed to everything that he needed for sure.

Another thing Ra hated even more was how the Council’s wants often lined up with what he was trying to do and even when they didn’t, it seemed to pan out in the end. He was trapped to their service.

Khalid placed a hand over Ra’s eyes. “You’re thinking too much again,” he scolded. “What’s the mission statement?”

“It’s not much of one, they’re leaving us in the dark about nearly everything with the exception of what things are called Outside now,” Ra muttered, not moving Khalid’s hand. “We’re supposed to recover Ienzo and the Masteredge he had on him when he disappeared.”

“What of Xehanort?”

“They claim he’s dead and the Masteredge he had on him lies deep within the Darkness and thus, it has a Master because the Vrai is hidden,” Ra sighed. “I have confirmation from the Chatser family to back their claim. We’re taking a picture of the Xreschaz family and asking if they’ve ever seen any of them.”

“I didn’t know the Chatser family shared blood with the Xreschazs,” Khalid commented.

“And you still don’t,” Ra growled. Khalid removed his hand and started packing again.

“So we’re just to find Ienzo and his creation,” the man asked.

“According to the Council.”

Riku had driven back to Atlantica. Sora had slept in back, drugged. He hadn’t feeling much better himself but he was more coherent that Sora was at the time. Now, Riku was laying next to Sora on a clamshell-bed back in Atlantica, wide awake and still in a light shock. It was utterly quiet now, as if all of Atlantica knew that quiet was needed. It was a good thing; Riku thought he might go nuts on the first thing that sang joyfully. The older teen sat up suddenly and glanced down at Sora, who was still heavily sedated. The boy’s face was blank. Riku didn’t think his own face looked much different.

Destiny Islands…was gone…destroyed. And this time, there was no return for it. It hasn’t gone to Darkness; it’d been blown up from what he had seen. He didn’t know. Cid was out there with a team or getting where home had used to be to try to hazard a guess at what had happened. They hadn’t known worlds could blow up like that. What could’ve happened? Riku lay back down, scooting closer to Sora, painfully aware of how much Sora would want him to be there when he woke. They would need each other for a long time.

“Nahen, you getting anything?” Cid asked his eyes on the second ship that could be seen through the window.

“No. There are only two things in the entirety of Kingdom Hearts that don’t have auras, Cid, and that’s Nobodies and dead people. Unless it’s possible for a world to become a Nobody, this world is most likely dead,” Nahen’s voice was steady over the radio. “You said there were two survivors. Poor kids.”

“You’re pretty good with kids Nahen. If we figure this out, you should tell them,” Cid suggested.

“I’m good with kids, not teenagers. You tell kids what to do, you can’t tell a teen what to do,” Nahen replied. “I’ll tell them anyways. But Cid, I don’t know how in Kingdom Hearts a world can just blow up.”

“That’s what we’re here to figure out…if we can,” Cid replied.

“Well, let’s start by collecting debris and then, let’s leave several video cameras to be picked up later. I want it all to be taken to Radiant Garden. Ansem the Wise’s labs will have anything I need to take a look at all this, doubt I’ll find anything though,” Nahen ordered.

One Week Later

Riku and Sora entered the lab and stared hard at the chucks of rock that were all that remained of their home. Sora leaned heavily up against Riku’s shoulder and sobbed. Riku draped his arm around Sora, holding the other boy close. Both teens were pale, worn, and seemed very thin to Aerith. The woman went up to them and enclosed them within her arms. Neither resisted the comfort. They were waiting for Nahen to get here and see if she had an explanation.

“I don’t know why you had to call him of all magicians, Merlin!” The three turned their attentions to the closed door.

“I’m not very keen on working with you either Lady Heartless,” Yen Sid’s familiar deep baritone replied.

“Yen Sid knows more than me, he can confirm what I sense,” Merlin’s flabbergasted voice. “What is it between you two? You fight worse than Cid and I do!” Aerith straightened, keeping her hands on the boys’ shoulders.

“Lady Heartless?” Riku muttered, sniffing. He smelled approaching Darkness.

“Nahen,” Aerith murmured quietly. “Yen Sid’s talking to Nahen. Don’t mind any abrasiveness she shows, she’s always that way to strangers or people she doesn’t like much.” The door was blasted open, literally. Sora, Riku, and Aerith winced as it hit the wall with a loud crash. Yen Sid and a black-haired woman entered first, with Merlin just behind trying to douse the proverbial fire. Nahen spun on Merlin and seemingly towered over the wizard.

“If he knows so much more, why the hell is he so narrow-minded?” The woman snapped. She must be Nahen. “He still thinks I’m a full-blooded Heartless when I’m only half!

“It is a theoretical impossibility,” Yen Sid defended.

“In magic maybe,” she rounded on the aged warlock. “Have you ever given science a whirl? Science likes to defy your precious magics over and over and over. It made me.

Riku coughed and got the two warring ones and the intermediary’s attentions. “Hey, you mind shutting up and telling us how our planet exploded any time soon?”

“The Heartless,” Yen Sid muttered.

”Heartless don’t make planets go boom, humans can make planets go boom and Heartless can make them go poof.” Nahen snapped back. “You wouldn’t understand as it’s a human science. Or the planet naturally died on its own, but that’s unlikely.”

“So?” Sora croaked. “Is there someone to blame?” The pale woman frowned disapprovingly at the young Keyblade Master.

“Revenge is a pointless pursuit,” Nahen paused. “But yes, probably. Whether or not it was a knowing act is another question. So Yen Sid, is there or is there not time magic residue on the debris we hauled in as Merlin figures?” Yen Sid hesitated, clearly not liking the idea of discussing the topic with someone he considered less than civilized or human. Riku and Sora were too worn to care what Nahen was. They just wanted to know what had happened to their world.

“Yes, but what would that mean to you?” Yen Sid glared, actually glared rather than his usual harsh stare.

“A lot actually, just because I can’t use magic, doesn’t mean I don’t know a lot of theory,” the half-breed snipped. “If there’s time magic involved, quite possibly another planet existed in the same place as Destiny Islands, just not at the same time. If the time magic were dropped, the planets would collide and you’ve got D-Day.”

“How can two things exist in a single space?” Aerith asked, confused. This talk was a little over her head. It was over Riku and Sora’s too and they just targeted the woman with confused stares.

“If their perception of time is at different speeds, it’s possible,” Nahen said. She raised her left hand and snapped twice. A large, black and gray tiger moved out of the shadows. “Asim, stay there. We’re going to demonstrate something.” Aerith moved her and the boys away nervously. The creature was made entirely of Darkness Riku could smell it. Asim yawned and lay down obediently.

“At this moment, Asim exists in that spot at this time, if I send Asim away—dismissed!—than someone else can take that place at a later spot in time,” Nahen waved Asim away and walked to the place where the tiger had been. “Such as myself. If I were to summon Asim back to this spot again, he’d collide with me.”

“You’re giving Heartless genders are you?” Yen Sid commented shrewdly. Nahen looked ready to retort but didn’t answer.

“I’m not going to explain the concept of Guardians to you,” she muttered under her breath. “Your head just might explode. Anyways, if this second planet existed in the same place, just not at the same time. Its passage of time was either slowed down or sped up making it out of sync with the normal flow of time. It must’ve been some spell though; I’m still getting a headache from the residues.”

“So, they’re gone too, right?” Riku asked. “I mean, if it collided with our world, it’s destroyed too.”

“Theoretically speaking…yes. I left video cameras there; they should be getting back here with them soon,” Nahen frowned and leaned up against the wall. “If there people intending on coming out here for something, they’d have done so by now and we’ll just have to watch. We still won’t be able to tell if it was an accident or not, but I’d lean towards ‘not’ if the unknown planet survived. It means they had a shit load more than a time spell over the planet.”

“Miss Zareh?”

”Speaking of…,” Nahen murmured. “Bring ‘em in!” Three groups of two, each group carrying a large machine, walked sideways into the room.

“Get those tapes out and set them up,” Cid’s rough voice ordered. He spotted Sora and Riku. “Hey kids! Get down to the Gummi Docks. There’s something you wanna see.” The two glanced at each other and then made their way out.

“We’ll be back in a bit,” Riku offered. Nahen didn’t answer, busy with the cameras. Yen Sid had vanished when they weren’t looking. He probably hadn’t wanted to stay here with Nahen anymore. Aerith followed them out, intent on keeping a watchful eye over the pale pair. Cid clapped his large hand to Sora’s shoulder and fixed Riku with a ‘take care’ glare. Riku smiled weakly back and Sora briefly grasped the pilot’s arm.

Kairi leaned against Ienzo…or rather…Ienzo’s Heartless heavily, still slightly sleepy from her drugged sleep. The stoic half-existing being didn’t seem too bothered being used as a crutch. He wanted to go away now. He’d done what he had gone to do and he really wasn’t needed anymore but too many people recognized him, whispering that Ansem the Wise’s youngest pupil had come back.

They barely even noticed the changes to his overall appearance. The eye that he had allowed to be visible to the people around him had darkened from bright gold to a rusted orange and his hair was slightly lighter in tone and longer than he’d have kept it as a human. His style of clothing was too different from anything Ienzo would’ve ever worn.

Ienzo’s Heartless shifted uncomfortably; simply glad his Emblem wasn’t anywhere visible as the people began to crowd around them, staring at him expectantly. What did they want him to do? He’d only come here to deliver the Princess of Heart and the others he’d pulled from the island to safety. His part should’ve been over by now. He should’ve been allowed to slink away for some dark corner to disappear. However, the crowd forbade him to do any such actions.

“Do you think Sora and Riku are here?” Kairi asked him.

“They would most likely try to find a home here,” the Heartless answered. “It is home to many of their friends that helped Sora. And it’s your origin point, is it not?”

“Yes…but I’d rather be with my friends,” Kairi hung her head. “Especially Sora.”

“And so you will be…look.” Ienzo’s Heartless pointed into the crowd.

Sora and Riku had lost Aerith somewhere, but that didn’t matter, they were trying to see over the heads of the crowd. What could be so interesting at the Gummi Port that it’d draw a crowd this large? Riku was taller than Sora, so it was the older one standing on a nearby bench on his tiptoes, trying to get some sort of view of the main attraction.

“Oh my god,” Riku whispered quietly.

“What is it?” Sora demanded, trembling slightly. Riku hit the ground running and pulling on Sora’s arm. Sora yelped and stumbled after, trying to regain his balance completely. “Riku!”

“Get out the way!” Riku snarled as he shoved and pushed all of the people aside, never letting go of Sora. When it became clear people weren’t going to move to a couple of kids, Riku hissed and summoned the Way to the Dawn Keyblade, slamming it hard against the ground. People jumped out of the way. They didn’t want to be hit with a weapon. Behind him, Sora cried out in tormented joy, seeing what—or rather who—he had and began running with Riku to the large blue ship waiting serenely there.

“Kairi! Kairi! ” Sora cried out.

“Sora! Riku!” Kairi tore herself from the man who’d been supporting her and ran crookedly to them. She looked little better than they did. The three hit the ground in a hug; sobbing and laughing and crying in joy and relief. The Way to the Dawn lie forgotten on the ground.

“RIKU! SORA! Ohmygod! HesaidyouwereokaybutIdidn’tknowifIcouldbelievehimornot,” Selphie barreled her way into the hug and she was accepted with laughs and tears, not bothering to ask her to repeat slowly because it didn’t matter. A few moments later, Tidus, Wakka, and Riku’s mother and Sora’s parents were all included.

The crowd watched at a distance and slowly dissolved into only Squall, Aerith, Yuffie, Cid, Merlin, Donald, Goofy, and King Mickey. Nahen Zareh could be seen walking to her own ship, ignoring the reunion only a few yards from her. The man that Kairi had been leaning against had disappeared into the ship. When they went on later, they would find him missing, as if he’d never been there at all with only the great ship and the rescued’s word. But it didn’t matter right now.

They had some of their home back.

------------------------------------End-Chapter-One--------------------------------------

Author’s Rant: I had the hardest time deciding whether or not to destroy Destiny Islands. In the end, the decision to destroy a planet was made; I just had to decide which one. I needed Ienzo’s Heartless to pick up Kairi from Destiny Islands, but I needed a good reason why and so I decided that Destiny Islands would go ‘boom’ instead of some other world.

Then I had to think of why it would die and decided it would be because another planet existed in another time and the same place as Destiny Islands. If I’m confounding you with the time talk, I’m sorry. I’m not sure what I’m talking about myself most of the time and just try to sound smart without using any science terms. Not that I know any.

Oh yeah, Nahen is the same character as the unnamed woman that was watching Ansem’s apprentices at the end of the prologue.

See how many scenes there are? I would hit a wall and be all: “Next scene it is, because I have somewhere to go with it.” And you get the bouncing back and forth all over the place and it just ended up staying that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back