• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts + Crossovers: Playing/Viewing Order

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Willow A113

Awards
I made a playing/viewing order for Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and Disney. If someone wants to get a person into all three at the same time, this is a great way to do it!
(For the games I linked to cutscenes but people are encouraged to actually play them. It's just that some people can't afford the games.)
Critiques welcome!!

Chie

Awards
Why is Final Fantasy VII not actually on it?

Chie

Awards
That's so confusing. The Remake series are completely different games in every way.

WaltK

Awards
I don't really understand what this list's objective is.

In some ways it reads as a "everything you need to understand the individual Disney and FF plots that KH references" type thing, but you go to the trouble of listing subsequent media that has nothing to do with KH stuff; like, the Alice in Wonderland portion of KH1 is over, why would I need to watch the live-action sequels to understand more of what I just saw?

And in other ways it reads as "everything that could have feasibly, hypothetically happened off-screen in relation to the Disney/FF stuff in a "broad strokes" type way", but then you pick and choose which version of FFVII is relevant?

Obviously a lot of work went into this, and that's awesome! I just don't get who or what it's for.

Last edited:

Willow A113

Awards
I don't really understand what this list's objective is.

In some ways it reads as a "everything you need to understand the individual Disney and FF plots that KH references" type thing, but you go to the trouble of listing subsequent media that has nothing to do with KH stuff; like, the Alice in Wonderland portion of KH1 is over, why would I need to watch the live-action sequels to understand more of what I just saw?

And in other ways it reads as "everything that could have feasibly, hypothetically happened off-screen in relation to the Disney/FF stuff in a "broad strokes" type way", but then you pick and choose which version of FFVII is relevant?

Obviously a lot of work went into this, and that's awesome! I just don't get who or what it's for.
Fair criticisms. It was meant to be a timeline of everything that could take place in this universe (accesible through modern consoles and streaming services).
I chose the remake because Aerith is not dead which matches better with KH. The original directly conflicts with this.
It's mostly for new players who want to know what they should understand before going through the worlds. Obviously, there are some things they can and should skip which is why I have color coded recommendation levels. The yellow and reds are for the people who are already familiar who want to dive deeper. This is for those people as well.

Chie

Awards
But the FF games definitely couldn'tve taken place in this universe for so many other reasons besides Aerith's presence or lack thereof.

If you want to make a list of materials referenced in KH, which is in fact potentially useful and interesting, you should focus it on "these are the works that KH is informed by and playing with", not pretending it's all one coherent story.

And all this is especially odd in the context of "a great way to get someone into the franchise", when this is 2000x more confusing than "just play the games in order". Which is the same tension inherent in any fan playing/watching orders.

Willow A113

Awards
But the FF games definitely couldn'tve taken place in this universe for so many other reasons besides Aerith's presence or lack thereof.

If you want to make a list of materials referenced in KH, which is in fact potentially useful and interesting, you should focus it on "these are the works that KH is informed by and playing with", not pretending it's all one coherent story.

And all this is especially odd in the context of "a great way to get someone into the franchise", when this is 2000x more confusing than "just play the games in order". Which is the same tension inherent in any fan playing/watching orders.
I understand what you mean, but I disagree.
I don't want to speak about this anymore if you want to be overly negative like that.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I understand what you mean, but I disagree.
I don't want to speak about this anymore if you want to be overly negative like that.
I haven't played FF 7Rebirth and there are no spoilers allowed here, but this is...a really silly take. It's obvious that the Remake series is part of a larger narrative that ties back to the original -- regardless, none of it has anything to do with KH's story aside from references.

No one's being overly negative it's just that this choice doesn't make any sense.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I really respect the effort you've put into creating this list, and very it's commendable! It's clear that you've done a good amount of research to create this accessible list of media referenced in Kingdom Hearts or in relation to it.

However, the list feels somewhat inflated. You've included references to works that are unrelated to Kingdom Hearts, as well as sequels, games, and movies not directly tied to the plots of the Disney worlds featured in the game at all. It might be more sufficient to focus solely on movies directly referenced in Kingdom Hearts, alongside the exact FF games that the characters originate from.

For example, Cloud in Kingdom Hearts is a reference to the character from the original Final Fantasy VII, as the Remake did not exist at that point. Not everyone may be aware of that fact, but understanding FFVII’s characters in Kingdom Hearts only requires familiarity with the original game, Crisis Core, and Advent Children. There may be some other games I’ve missed, but you get what I mean.

I don't believe it's necessary for Kingdom Hearts fans to be familiar with Disney sequels and other films that are not related in the game's worlds whatsoever (with the exception of the Aladdin sequels, I guess). So overall, I don't think anyone intends to be mean or rude to you. The comments appear to be honest criticisms questioning the amount of content necessary in this list.

Last edited:
Back