• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keiko Nobumoto, scenario supervisor for KH1, has passed away

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nukara

Awards
Holy crap, she worked on KH1?

...I guess that explains the gigantic drop in story quality with subsequent games.

But yeah, gigantic bummer. :< Feel the need to rewatch Wolf's Rain now...
So talk as if COM and KH2 had bad stories.😒

Zackarix

Awards
So talk as if COM and KH2 had bad stories.😒
CoM was pretty good. KH2 was a notable step down from its predecessors in writing quality even if it's better than what followed.

I do wonder what KH2 would have looked like if Nobumoto had stayed on instead of being relegated to "special thanks"

Nukara

Awards
CoM was pretty good. KH2 was a notable step down from its predecessors in writing quality even if it's better than what followed.

I do wonder what KH2 would have looked like if Nobumoto had stayed on instead of being relegated to "special thanks"
That's what I don't understand. KH2 has some of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise. And the scene with Sora's false death in KH1 will never compare to the moment of Roxas' disappearance and his farewell to Axel, as well as the moment where Sora fell to his knees in front of Riku, in my humble opinion.

Zackarix

Awards
That's what I don't understand. KH2 has some of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise. And the scene with Sora's false death in KH1 will never compare to the moment of Roxas' disappearance and his farewell to Axel, as well as the moment where Sora fell to his knees in front of Riku, in my humble opinion.
When people say that KH2 isn't as well written as KH1 they aren't talking about how well each game tugs at the heartstrings. KH2 has good moments, but overall the story isn't very well put together and meanders around a lot. It has high highs, but low lows. And the closer you analyze it the worse it gets. I don't feel like getting into it now, but if you've ever read Marathon Recap's Kingdom Hearts Retrospective they do a really good job highlighting the ways KH2 doesn't work while still acknowledging its strengths (and I've just realized that they've finally gotten around to the Coded retrospective, yay!)

Meanwhile, KH1 is rock solid. The story holds together even under scrutiny, the characters feel like more than their archetypes, the Disney worlds actually matter, the plot twist actually makes sense, etc.

Back