• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Jokes in the KH series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Flash

What do you guys think about jokes in cutscenes? I always thought the scene is too long and the characters take weird pauses before the funny lines. Also, the frame changes sometimes which is what makes it seem like a weird pause. These pauses work for the emotional scenes, but it just seems weird when you have to be quick for a laugh. Hopefully the editing is better to make the "punch-line" or funny bit seem fluid in the future.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
What do you guys think about jokes in cutscenes? I always thought the scene is too long and the characters take weird pauses before the funny lines. Also, the frame changes sometimes which is what makes it seem like a weird pause. These pauses work for the emotional scenes, but it just seems weird when you have to be quick for a laugh. Hopefully the editing is better to make the "punch-line" or funny bit seem fluid in the future.

To be honest, the entire script of KHII is a joke xD but I agree with this wholly

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Dont care what kind just let it be Amano writing the humor.

Pretty much this. Amano is excellent when it comes to enumerating on the more whimsical nature of the Kingdom Hearts series. The one scene where Kairi is attempting to escape from her jail cell in the Kingdom Hearts II manga comes to mind.

Actually, come to think of it, Kanemaki could do an excellent job of this as well considering how great the novelization of the first game was.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
idk. Kanemaki wrote significant parts of Days and it wasn't very funny, lol.
all of the humour in Days that is there was completely manufactured by the localization team.

Anagram

Banned
idk. Kanemaki wrote significant parts of Days and it wasn't very funny, lol.
all of the humour in Days that is there was completely manufactured by the localization team.
*coughitwasntverygoodingeneral*
lol That's just sad in a way that a team of programmers had better ideas.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
*coughitwasntverygoodingeneral*
lol That's just sad in a way that a team of programmers had better ideas.
And the fact that they were given such free reign with the translation kind of suggests (as does the entire game, really) that Nomura didn't really care about Days lol.

Awards
And the fact that they were given such free reign with the translation kind of suggests (as does the entire game, really) that Nomura didn't really care about Days lol.

I don't really know anything about this kinda stuff, but it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't care. Days was built in a day-by-day kinda way with casual talks at the end. Different cultural norms and casual things would resonate with a Japanese audience than a western audience. They might have been given more free reign because a lot of the stuff would have been lost in translation otherwise.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don't really know anything about this kinda stuff, but it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't care.
The rest of Days suggests he didn't. Most people don't write the entire script for a game in two weeks and then call it a day lol. But I really don't want to digress this into a full-on Days hate thread so~

Days was built in a day-by-day kinda way with casual talks at the end. Different cultural norms and casual things would resonate with a Japanese audience than a western audience. They might have been given more free reign because a lot of the stuff would have been lost in translation otherwise.
It's not so much the conversations between RAX, but the conversations between the other members. And judging from what one of KHI's own translators has said, it's not that the conversations in the Japanese have different conversational ticks or culture-specific humour, there just isn't the humour there at all. Everything is played incredibly straight.

Anagram

Banned
I don't really know anything about this kinda stuff, but it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't care. Days was built in a day-by-day kinda way with casual talks at the end. Different cultural norms and casual things would resonate with a Japanese audience than a western audience. They might have been given more free reign because a lot of the stuff would have been lost in translation otherwise.
Days was also requested by Nintendo rather than being Nomuras intention so him caring less about it than for others is likely. lol
Of the entire series only three games were initially a Nomura idea. KH1, KH2, BBS.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Days was also requested by Nintendo rather than being Nomuras intention so him caring less about it than for others is likely. lol
Of the entire series only three games were initially a Nomura idea. KH1, KH2, BBS.
And he also came up with the idea for the multiplayer first and then basically pulled the plot for the single player out of his ass to support the multiplayer lol. Brought in a completely untested scenario writer for the game. Decided this was the game he was going to write himself, for the first time, and did it in two weeks. Etc. There's just so much in and around Days that suggests that Days wasn't taken very seriously and that they weren't really passionate about it in the same way that they were passionate about BBS and KH3D.

Anagram

Banned
And he also came up with the idea for the multiplayer first and then basically pulled the plot for the single player out of his ass to support the multiplayer lol. Brought in a completely untested scenario writer for the game. Decided this was the game he was going to write himself, for the first time, and did it in two weeks. Etc. There's just so much in and around Days that suggests that Days wasn't taken very seriously and that they weren't really passionate about it in the same way that they were passionate about BBS and KH3D.

To be honest I feel BBS was the last to hold much passion. Especially by the time it came out post Coded and Days and was obviously altered in both story and game between it's PS2 to PSP conversion.
DDD felt more necessity. With Remixes he realized the companies had thrown his series all over the damn place and needed something to start tying back.

WaveK89

Leon: Except, for that..............................*black screen*................................and that.

Okay, maybe it's not a joke. Or maybe they tried to force the pause. Either way, I tend to think of this scene when it comes to weird scenes. Awkward pausing is such an awkward pain. I suppose it may be more of a technical standpoint as the scene may be loading data which shouldn't be an issue with the PS4 and Xbox One.

I also think music and sounds play a good role. Funny jokes and light-hearted moments are usually filled with happy music. I think I remember some scenes just being silent which hindered the moment. My mind is drawing a blank, so I might be rambling.

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
For a joke, I'd like for people to show up in Radiant Garden that call Leon by his original name of Squall instead of Leon and have him try to correct them only for it to be in vain. Also, anyone that decides to call him Squall just to be a jerk or even something like this:

Leon: [after some exposition]...and my name's Leon, dammit!

Cloud: OK then, Leon Dammit.

*totally didn't steal this idea from the "Allen Now Shut Up" moment from Small Soldiers, oh no ^.^

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
To be honest I feel BBS was the last to hold much passion. Especially by the time it came out post Coded and Days and was obviously altered in both story and game between it's PS2 to PSP conversion.
DDD felt more necessity. With Remixes he realized the companies had thrown his series all over the damn place and needed something to start tying back.
I can feel the passion in KH3D myself. I even remember how excited all the staff members were during its development. It was treated as something big, something that actually continued the storyline and you could tell the staff were excited about that. Even the original KH Team kept saying how they wish they could've developed on KH3D.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I can feel the passion in KH3D myself. I even remember how excited all the staff members were during its development. It was treated as something big, something that actually continued the storyline and you could tell the staff were excited about that.

It felt like the only thing that didn't make them happy was the flowmotion, I remember reading about that :D It sounded like they loved the game so much in interviews!

limit

I can feel the passion in KH3D myself. I even remember how excited all the staff members were during its development. It was treated as something big, something that actually continued the storyline and you could tell the staff were excited about that. Even the original KH Team kept saying how they wish they could've developed on KH3D.

I'll never forget Tai Yasue's quote about 3D: "It's like KH2 and BBS on steroids!"

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
For a joke, I'd like for people to show up in Radiant Garden that call Leon by his original name of Squall instead of Leon and have him try to correct them only for it to be in vain.
I can only picture Leon and Lea getting drunk at a bar, gaining a mutual friendship over how people keep calling them by the wrong name.

Also, anyone that decides to call him Squall just to be a jerk or even something like this:

Leon: [after some exposition]...and my name's Leon, dammit!

Cloud: OK then, Leon Dammit.

*totally didn't steal this idea from the "Allen Now Shut Up" moment from Small Soldiers, oh no ^.^
Please, I need this. I need funny Cloud so badly.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I can only picture Leon and Lea getting drunk at a bar, gaining a mutual friendship over how people keep calling them by the wrong name.

Leon: ...ind evary1 keeps CALLin me SQUAWWW latelay! Iunno Y de keep dooen dat...

Lea: I NO, MAHN! NO1 wntz 2 memoreyez Lea anymoor beacuase de keep memoreyzeeing Axel! I keep Saiyan "Get it memoreyzed!"

Leon: I tought U sed, "Comit 2 memoreye."

[beat]

[Lea proceeds to be a raging drunk]

Please, I need this. I need funny Cloud so badly.

I think you might love this. ^.^

gstkh2

Really, the only one heavy on humor was KHII (probably since that was the only one with a happy ending) and many parts made me laugh, but the three funniest.

(Going to the beach)
Hayner: Four tickets, please.
Roxas: Wait! *pats himself down* NO!

(Seifer walks up, asks what they're doing)
Hayner: Why do you care?
Seifer: I don't. Tell me anyway.

(Hades summons Auron)
Auron: This is my story. And you're not part of it. *Battle stance*
Hades: Did you forget who you're talking to?! I AM THE LORD OF THE DEAD!
Auron: Hm. *Smiles* No wonder no one wants to die.
Hades: *In accordance to his first degree burn, ignites* YOU ARE FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back