• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

In Search of Better TV Programming ...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

|The_Big_Four|

Website
www.angelfire.com
prisonbreak1280x960byligh4.jpg

Well I'm gonna be extremely and uncharacteristically frank on this one. I am in dire need of two good shows to add to my pain-stakingly molded "regular line-up" of TV programs. The problem is, I keep a very tight lease on what I watch and try to keep it as diverse (in terms of both genre and network) as possible. I don't let shows in through the gate very easily. With "Heroes," "Nip/Tuck," and "24," those were no-brainers.

But with some of these other shows, I'm gonna need a little help. Recently, I've checked up on a number of today's shows, and based on both overall popularity with fans as well as critical ratings, I've now come up with these following shows as the "finalists" in my search for better TV programming.

Not wanting more than two programs from the same network as well as an overload of programs of the same genre or nature (such as multiple hospital dramas), these turned out to be the final shows from which I plan on choosing two:

House (FOX Tuesdays)
Grey's Anatomy (Thursdays on ABC)
Entourage (Sundays on HBO)
The Shield (Tuesdays on FX)
Halfway Home (Comedy Central Wednesdays)
Psych (Fridays on USA Network)
Prison Break (FOX Mondays)

Any input would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

These following shows were all "considered" as well based on their popularity as well as ratings but eventually ruled out by yours truly before any decisions were made (don't be offended by an critical remarks on my part if you DO watch any of these shows):

The 4400 (USA Network) - From what I've watched, this show feels like a crappier, episodic-instead-of-serialized version of "Heroes." Plus with Monday Night RAW on USA every week, it leaves little room for anything else.

One Tree Hill (The CW) - Even though OTH is currently the most popular and highest rated drama on The CW, unless Supernatural or Friday Night Smackdown! bites the dust, I think I'll hold off.

Lost (ABC) - I put Lost on this list, but the truth is, I just got sick of the show. I got sick of the pacing, the messy storylines, the characters that I no longer care about, all of it. I usually don't refer to standalones as "fillers," but with Lost I did.

The Office (NBC) - Desperate for a good primetime sitcom, this was one of the many comedies I had considered before giving up completely on the ones currently on the air. I realized that The Office is one of those shows that only tricks you into thinking it's funny, due to the peculiar setting and atmosphere of the show, and not because the dialogue is actually funny in nature.

The Closer (TNT) - Heard great things about this show, but to me I've already used TNT way too much in the past for syndicated reruns of dramas like The X-Files, Charmed, Angel, and ER.

Jericho (CBS) - Even more desperate for a good CBS drama (which I've determined now that there are none), I tuned in to the series premiere of this show with a rather poor premise, and tuned out just as easily. Frankly, right now the only good CBS programming for me is Daytime Guiding Light.

Dexter (Showtime) - The only show with a higher rating on TV.com than this is "Heroes" (currently the ONLY program with a 9.5/10, the highest rating of any show), so I knew I had to check this series out for myself. Not a bad show, but I'm not looking for "not bad." I gotta say I really don't understand the insanely high critical acclaim.

Ugly Betty (ABC) - Hey, who doesn't wanna see Vanessa Williams on TV every week? Unfortunately, her appearances are too far and few between to make this otherwise mediocre dramedy worth watching on a regular basis. Even though Desperate Housewives has been suffering lately without Marcia Cross, she'll be back, so I'll stick with it. Plus there's Power Rangers OO, although I guess technically I could also consider it a Toon Disney show.

fullcasts2azc3.jpg

Right now I kinda feel like I'm Borat in a cultural learning of America for making benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan ...

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com
I have to agree with all the shows, the 4400 is a crappier Heroes, yet it came first. lol. Now, The Office is hilarious, it's not as much about the dialogue as it is about the awkward situations, it's a refreshing show, better than any of the other comedies on television.

From the list you provided, I'd say watch House, the first two seasons are already on DVD, and every episode is remarkable. Hugh Laurie plays House brilliantly, there have only been two episodes out of the entire run that I feel falls a bit flat, and that's saying something, since I can be really picky.

House delivers some of the best acting on television, from the main cast anyway, and the medical drama and cases will have you hooked. Some of the answers are just so bizarre, it's fantastic. House is much better than any of the medical dramas on TV, yeah, even Grey's Anatomy.

Scribbler

I would have to agree with Inner Demon, House is fantastic television. The only thing that bothers me is on commercials it always says "This may be the toughest case House has ever done." :laugh:

|The_Big_Four|

Website
www.angelfire.com
All right, the feedback's been great, so my way of giving back is to continue collecting everyone's responses from all the discussion forums, message boards, TV sites, myspace, Facebook, etc. where I've posted this topic. So that everyone who wishes to can see what a very diverse sampling of the Internet seem to watch. Think of it as Nielsen Media Research if you will. BTW, thank you to everyone who gave their input. (only shows with more than two mentions were listed)

These are ranked based on the difference between the number of those who supported a show and the number of those who were against it. (Grey's Anatomy actually came out a negative value ...)

=======================
House (FOX) - 16 For, 2 Against
Jericho (CBS) - 6 For, 1 Against
Prison Break (FOX) - 6 For, 2 Against
Psych (USA Network) - 4 For, 1 Against
Veronica Mars (The CW) - 3 For
Entourage (HBO) - 3 For
Dexter (Showtime) - 3 For
Scrubs (NBC) - 3 For
The Shield (FX) - 3 For
Smallville (The CW) - 3 For
Drive (FOX) - 3 For
Brothers & Sisters (ABC) - 2 For
The Riches (FX) - 2 For
The Office (NBC) - 2 For
Lost (ABC) - 2 For
Halfway Home (Comedy Central) - 2 For, 1 Against
The 4400 (USA Network) - 1 For, 1 Against
Grey's Anatomy (ABC) - 5 For, 7 Against
=======================

As you can see, a lot of hate for Grey's Anatomy and an overwhelming amount of love for House. I don't know, I've now watched a couple eps of each back-to-back and besides enjoying both so far, I'd have to say they're pretty evenly matched with me, making my job a lot harder. Not just cause they're both fresh (as opposed to tired) medical comedy-dramas either.

I wanted to note that aside from networks, I've also been considering whether the show is drama, comedy, or dramedy, as well as whether or not it's more episodic or more serialized.

Personally, in my own search, I've recently eliminated Prison Break and The Shield (one is having a 3rd season milked out of it while the other is ending next season), whereas Entourage is currently on the bubble. I caught up with the latest eps of both House and Grey's Anatomy, and have definitely decided to select one medical drama from what are definitely two emmy-deserving dramedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back