• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I'm making my first keyblade next Saturday...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingdom Key101

Ummm...I don't know if this is in the right section because I'm kind of new to the forums, but I am making my first keyblade hopefully by next Saturday.:) I'm modeling it after Ven's keyblade, and hopefully it will turn out right. Before I make it though, I have a couple questions that maybe you guys can answer.

1. What kind of wood would be best?
2. What kind of saw would be easiest to use by myself?
3. How do I get the design from a piece of paper to the wood?
4. Anything else that you think would be helpful.:thumbsup:

Again, I'm kind of new to keyblade making, and the forums, so please don't be angry at me for putting this in the wrong section and for asking kind of dumb questions.

MDK Phoshterxic

Website
www.myspace.com
My advice would be.

1. Canadian Maple, although that may cost a bit, so just use whatever you can find.

2. In my opinion a coping saw would be best / easiest to use.

3. Get a stanley knife, a piece of paper, and a permanent marker, draw the design on the paper, cut the outline out on the paper with the stanley knife, you maybe need to make it thicker / do it twice, then place the paper on top of the wood, get the marker, and draw the pattern onto the wood with the marker.

4. Get help from a friend, sibling or parent... You'd get it done faster.

Just a tip, if you can't find a good picture of Ven's keyblade, it looks pretty much to me that it's just "Jungle King", or whatever that one from Tarzan in KH1 is called, so if you can't get a picture, just chuck KH1 in, bring up your game, and bring up "Jungle King"

Last edited:
U

Ultima Sacrifice

That should be interesting. Take pictures of your work and keep us posted on how it's coming! I've seen some really good-looking life size keyblades on e-bay. There was also Marluxia's Sythe thing. It was pretty badass.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'm kind of experienced at wood working, namely just wooden swords, but they all still came out good.

1) I'd highly recommend using a Hardwood, that way, when you sand, engrave or saw through it, you can do it slower and you'll also be able to manouvre the saw better to get smoother shapes.

2) If your'e going to use a standard saw, DON'T. If you're only intending to do the Kingdom Key, than you might get away with using a saw, but you'll get a much better result any way if you use a Jigsaw or a Circular Saw. The Jigsaw is good for curves and corners; and the Circular Saw is best for long, straight pieces.

3) If you want it to go well-proportioned from paper to wood is to first draw or get an image of the Keyblade, then open the image with Paint on your comuter, and divide it into roughly four chunks, one for the Key-head, two for the shaft, and one for the handle, pommel and hilt. Open up a word document and past the first Keyblade chunk onto one page of the word document. Then make a second page and paste the secon image. Do the same for the third and fourth pages, or any more you think you need. MAke sure they are all in correct proportion to eachother, then print it. Cut out the Keyblade from it's bits of paper, then lay them down all in-line on the wood and trace around them with pencil. Take them away, and then go over the outline with Permanent Marker, making corrections along the way.

4) Another must have, if you want it to turn out good, is to get a small Power Sander. I'd recommend one of the Sanders from the new Ryobi range. They're a good size, they don't require a power point, and they allow plenty of detail to be sanded into the wood. If you get one of these, you'll also have to get Sand Paper Velcro Pads to attach to the Sander's rotating head.
If you are going for a detailed Keyblade, you should also get a multi-purpose drilling/engraving tool. It's like a pen with a HUGE ergonomic grip for your hand and can have multiple tools attached to the tip to be used for various purposes.
Get G-Clamps. The sort that'll hold a piece of wood down in-line with a table while you saw into the piece of wood. If you intend to use Power Tools, this is a must have, or just get a portable work bench.

That's all I can think of. Good luck, and keep us posted.

~khfan~

911 lol: the best kind of wood would be that kind that comes from trees... That's just my opinion. haha

No. Really... I don't really know what kind of wood would be best, but I'd say whatever you use, make sure you sand it before you paint it (if you choose to). As for a saw, my first thought was a jigsaw, but there are many choices. You might also try a scroll saw (if you have access to one) I've got one and it works nicely! haha Yea, keep us posted! Sounds fun, and good luck. (oh... and may the force be with you, young padawan) haha

Awards
Not sure about wood, just something sturdy that won't crack if you cut it. Jigsay and coping saw are reccomended. Also, if you want to do the keyblade the proper way, draw the keyblade design on paper (to scale) with measurements etc. on it, then redraw it on your wood. That's how it's done. Not with all this "cut out and stick onto the wood" crap.

Kingdom Key101

Ok. Thanks guys. I'm going to get my supplies probably today, because I probably won't be able to during the week with school and everything, so I'll be ready for Saturday.:toungesmile:

Near987

1. ummm the kind that you get from trees
2. the one from the MyFirstTools playset u know the rubber ones so you dont hurt urself =]
3. you glue the design to the wood?

captain

Bronze Member
Please, post pics of the Keyblade. Is Ven's the same as Terra and Aqua's? My friends and I thinking of going as them to Mechacon next year.

Kingdom Key101

Just found out...because of all the school work (and lack of good wood at Home Depot) I'll be delayed in making the keyblade for a couple of weeks.:cry:

When I do make it, I promise to post pics of it.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back