• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

IGN's reasons to the DS isn't dead

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathByKeyblade

Ign recently posted another Recoded update. No new info or videos, but they did include it on a list of games that are going to carry the DS for he remainder of it's lifespan. Pretty high praise if you ask me.

The Kingdom Hearts series is already confusing enough with its character cross-overs, complex storylines and weirdly named games like "358/2 Days," but Re:coded may set a new high mark for oddity in the franchise thanks to the path it's taken to get to the DS. It's a remake, first of all, but it's not just a straight upgrade of a past project. Instead, it represents a genre shift.

Re:coded was originally Kingdom Hearts: Coded on Japanese mobile phones, an episodic puzzle series that was available to cell users to download and play through in eight individual installments throughout the back half of 2009. That kind of distribution method might have been a match for something like DSiWare here in America, but instead Square Enix has just taken the core scenario of those eight episodes and churned out a more traditional action/RPG design for Stateside gamers. That scenario? Jiminy Cricket stumbles across a journal entry he doesn't remember writing and the gang decides to digitize his diary, and themselves, to jump inside and explore it.

Yep, it's Kingdom Hearts. Certifiably insane.

The DS Isn't Dead Yet - DS Feature at IGN

Dionysus

The Kingdom Hearts series is already confusing enough with its character cross-overs, complex storylines and weirdly named games like "358/2 Days," but Re:coded may set a new high mark for oddity in the franchise thanks to the path it's taken to get to the DS. It's a remake, first of all, but it's not just a straight upgrade of a past project. Instead, it represents a genre shift.

Kingdom Hearts has become incredibly convoluted with its story-line and many characters, but I count that as part of the fun of piecing it together and all the wild speculation behind it. ;3 I think part of why it's so successful is because it takes something as simple as keys and hearts and throws them together for a fun story that all ages can enjoy.

And wow, that is pretty high praise from IGN. Yeah, I do see Kingdom Hearts as one of the last high-profile games for the DS since we're expecting the 3DS in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back