• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Franko B? Orlan? How do you feel about watching a performance artist bleed?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Chu

England..land of a thousand..somethings..
Right, hokey-day.

In the world of performance artists, many artists self-harm themselves in performances. Which mean they actually use real blood.

Franko B is one of these artists. In one of his performances at the Tate Modern, he built a catwalk, and using blood-let (the kind that is connected to a drip) equipment, let himself bleed while walking down this catwalk infront of a live audience. He had medical help on site if something went wrong obviously.
You can google him and find out more about him.

Orlan, or Saint Orlan is a French performance artist. She has had live cosmectic surgery on her face in her performances. With general anastethic. Which means she is conscious during the surgery.

Both these artists do this to convey a message to their audience, it's different with each person.

Now, the question that I am asking is;
If you were an audience member, what would your reaction be? Would you feel the need to help Franko B if he collapsed? Would you turn away during Orlans surgery without knowing the message she is trying to convey? Where are ethics involved?
(I thought I would ask this, since I'm trying to find out how an audience would react...not that I'm planning on doing this myself, it's research :p)
It would be really helpful if the replies didn't just consist of "that's disgusting". This is intel discussion for a reason :p

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
What would I do? I'd leave the minute I see blood. I have no intention of seeing anyone bleed, since that's not what I paid for. I don't have fun watching blood, and if I'm not there to have fun, why am I there?

Disluxia

I think it's retarted. An artist shouldn't have to use one of these pathetic shock acts to gain attention.

IneXo

Website
www.finaldomain.co.nr
There is only so far an artist can go in making a point - sure there maybe a good reason behind those types of stunts but where do you draw the line with this sort of thing.

and when did this sort of thing constitute as art, it just goes to show the type of world we live in when public mutilation and self harm is considered as art. its no wonder that there are so many messing up kids around when this sort of thing is heralded as art and shown on some level that it is okay.

personally as you may have gathered i find this sort of thing quite sick, but then i go all faint at the sight of blood (strange as i have a fascination with vampires), and personally i find the whole over the top stunt aspect ridiculous.

but thats just me, after all art is subjective and i might just not have the refined taste for this type of 'art.'

Felix Chu

England..land of a thousand..somethings..
I think it's retarted. An artist shouldn't have to use one of these pathetic shock acts to gain attention.

Well, I obviously as a start wouldn't use the word 'retarded'.
I also don't think it's 'shock tactics'. Some artists do it to get a point across to the audience.
For instance, Orlan does it to show the hypocrisy of plastic surgery. But there is also a lot more on a deeper meaning.

But for those who have said "It's not what I paid for...". What if you did pay for it KNOWING it was wor done by Franko B?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back