• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General ► Entertainment Strike news (yes SAG-AFTRA)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
So okay. Looks like the writer's strike is finally ending.. The actors strike with SAG-AFTRA will proly end too pretty soon.

Keep in mind folks that SAG-AFTRA just approved a new voice actor strike aimed at video game companies and keep in mind THAT does NOT affect our fav game series just yet. (Also keep in mind their actors strike is not this; SAG-AFTRA covers both voice actors and actors.) (Very unlikely they're calling anyone into a voice booth on this side of the pond right now..heck KH4 does not have a release date yet, so no dubs yet.) But what do you guys think ?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Hopefully they got a good deal, particularly around AI protections and restrictions.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
If they do end up striking and it does impact KH or other games, fair compensation and protections for the actors is more important. The studios aren’t likely to listen unless there’s some disruption. Worst case, the English dub of the game might have a slight delay. But that’s unlikely unless the strike drags on a while.

I think a more visible effect is that the FF7 Rebirth cast might be unable to participate in marketing that game.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I love seeing these execs tripping themselves over trying to replace humans with AI... except we're not quite there, are we? Oops.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Looks like they got most of what they wanted, writer wise: Story here and full contract here.

Not bad, not bad. I hope the actors/voice actors also get most of what they want. And yeah, AI is not there yet, but it could get there and also AI may also be used to use the likeness/voice of a dead actor (which of course actors do not want that in most cases).

And Luminary: that's what I feel might happen, depends on how long the voice actor strike lasts. That's why I say it probably will not affect our fav series unless it REALLY drags on too long. And from talking with Steve Blum at one con; voice actors have a lot of concerns that do need addressed. Like battle cries; yelling over and over can wreck a voice, he said so yeah, they want some limits on how long they do battle cries for games (at one time; by that I mean a shift, basically) for instance. (You try yelling YEARRGH! for hours..you'd get hoarse)

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It’s worth noting that the following are the companies that would be struck:

Activision Productions Inc, Blindlight LLC, Disney Character Voices Inc., Electronic Arts Productions Inc., Formosa Interactive LLC, Insomniac Games Inc., Epic Games, Take 2 Productions Inc., VoiceWorks Productions Inc., and WB Games Inc.

I’m not sure if Disney Character Voices or any of the others are directly involved in KH voice acting since it is developed by Square Enix.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Disney Character Voices is probably involved with KH I think. Maybe Epic as well but that one is less likely since Epic's only supplying the engine KH is currently using. (THAT is why you find KH on the Epic Store these days for PC.)

It is pretty hard to say how this'll impact KH but I maintain it'll only bite us if it carries on too long.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Disney character voices is involved with pretty much everything that involves Disney characters speaking. They're very much a part of KH and actually initially cast the majority of the original characters early on.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
32FEC340-0A96-4663-A27C-9FF8F908C555.jpeg
Thank you for confirming! I figured that was likely the case, especially considering the general consistency of VAs across Disney content. I’d tried looking them up on Google, but was only getting results for the international dubbing segment. But sure enough, they’re listed in the credits of KH3.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Okay, from stuff that I saw on the SAG-AFTRA website about the strikes, negotiations are still underway.

Let's hope they can come to a agreement soon, I assume it's going to be back and forth for a few weeks. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, it could be longer than that.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Here’s a Variety article on it with some more info:

It still has to be reviewed by the board and ratified, but the strike will officially end tonight.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Alright, they finally posted their brag on their site.

What they said. Good to hear they got most of what they wanted, also I understand the striking actors helped teh writers in a way. Gave them more power to negotiate (not to mention since at first the studios thought they could bring in more reality tv but people are sick of that!).

Now, let's hope the voice actor part of it will pan out fine. I haven't heard a thing about that.

Back