• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Class Schedule Dilemma

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Basically, I don't know whether to take AP Literature and Composition which I had previously signed up for or take two one semester classes, American Literature and World Literature.

Man why does this seem so hard to explain...it sounds so ridiculous the way I just put it.

You see most people are expecting me to take the AP class as I am one of the top kids at my school and I took the AP class for english last year. Plus this is the next logical step for a student at my level going into senior year and I am considering a career in writing meaning this class should be useful.

However, I don't want to take it. I don't like the subject matter, yes I know the other option is still a literature class, but I would get less boring material not freaking Mayor of Casterbridge and Old Man and the Sea. I don't want to be up to my eyeballs in homework my last year of high school. The teacher gives me the creeps. I could go on...There'd be benefits as well though to taking the class. It looks good on college applications and the class is weighted meaning it's worth 5 points for an A towards your GPA while the other would be just 4. The actual AP test is good too.

Then there's the other classes. They are worth less for your GPA like I said before. The classes are easier which could be a good thing or bad as I would be more prone to boredom. I would be exposed to a wider range of not as boring material, but I could wind up being with other students I dislike where as the other class would guarantee me being with friends.

Now all that isn't really what has gotten me concerned because just going by that up there I would do what I want and not take the AP class. "Most people are expecting me to take the AP class" <- That though is what's getting me concerned. I don't want to be met with the disappointment of my parents, my friends who would be taking the AP class, and the teacher of the AP class even though I don't like her. I'm afraid I will be just seen as lazy, not wanting to do the summer assignment(which I haven't started yet), and settling rather than trying to excel, and I'm even more afraid that I really am just being lazy and all my reasoning is just me finding excuses not to say I'm lazy. Is it wrong to want an easier senior year after having two AP classes the year before?

do what you want to do.

if that doesn't include an AP class, then your parents will have to get over it. it's your education.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
I know exactly what they would say. "Do whatever you want." They would try to sound like it'd be okay, but they'd have to know I would feel guilty. It's what parents do...

even if their guilt trip does affect you, play it off as if it doesn't. that way they figure out that you're set on getting the education you want.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Yeah I guess...that could work. Although my mom already seems to think I don't want to go to college so this could end up making it worse, but I'll just deal with that when the time comes.

Yeah I guess...that could work. Although my mom already seems to think I don't want to go to college so this could end up making it worse, but I'll just deal with that when the time comes.

well if you have no plans for college, then that renders AP classes useless.

AP classes look good on your transcript, that's really the only good reason to take them imo.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
I do want to go. That's the whole reason I would be taking the AP. They look good for college and good scores on the test can get you out of some classes. I just don't want to kill myself over a class just to get possible college credit that may or may not even be applicable to an art school.

I do want to go. That's the whole reason I would be taking the AP. They look good for college and good scores on the test can get you out of some classes.

well then, it would be a good idea to take an AP class. but then again, you mentioned that you previously took an AP class. so i don't think taking a regular class would hurt.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
I took two AP classes, and like I edited in up there, I don't even know if they would be applicable to an art school if I got a good score on the test.

Awards
Just out of curiosity, what two AP classes did you take last year and did you get college credit for them?

Also, what's your schedule looking like this year? Any other APs/honors?

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
You've proven that you're too intelligent to be a tool. Others have told you that it's your decision, and you're well aware of that. It seems like you're looking for an alternative solution when one doesn't exist. As much as I normally prefer advising one to take a neutral approach, I can't because such an approach hasn't made itself present. You're not obligated to impress your family, friends, or teachers with your transcript. As for colleges, you were a junior taking 2 AP classes (not to mention that Junior Year is the one that sticks out the most). I think you're fine, as long as you keep your grades up. So, it's up to your own will power now.

krexia

Translator
Awards
If there's one thing I've learned from school (and I've been through a lot of schooling), it's that you need to make decisions based on what you want, not on what other people want for you (or worse, expect of you). Forcing yourself to sit through a class you don't enjoy just to make parents or others happy is a waste of your time, don't let them pressure you into it. (And don't pressure yourself into it based on what you think you should be doing.)

If you honestly think you'll benefit more from the AP class - if you think the higher GPA contribution is something you want, if you want to challenge yourself - then go for it. Likewise if you honestly are more interested in the subject matter of the other classes, if you think that's more important than a few marks on a transcript, then go for them.

But it should be your decision, no matter what everyone else thinks of you.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Just out of curiosity, what two AP classes did you take last year and did you get college credit for them?

Also, what's your schedule looking like this year? Any other APs/honors?
The two I took were AP Language and Composition and AP US History. I got 3's on both so that means skipping some small elective classes depending on the school. As for other AP/honors classes none really have the title honors, but a lot are already weighted like Spanish 4, Physics, Calculus, and Computer Aided Drafting.

But it should be your decision, no matter what everyone else thinks of you.
Thank you, this sentence really stuck out for me. It's my schedule and my life. If I don't make the decision without influence of others it's not mine.

Nojerom

Resilience
Website
www.facebook.com
Dude for real, you need to relax on your senior year. My siblings took alllllll the good classes freshmen-junior year. Kick back, relax, not too much, but relax, or you're not going to remember your senior year so well.

It doesn't matter what others say. I have a friend who has the smartest brain, and he got like a 32 on the ACT or whatever. He's going to college now for free basically. He never lost his cool. He stayed relaxed, you dig? He didn't kill himself to show others how smart he was. Cuz he knew he didn't have to.

LionHeart14

If you're planning on majoring/minoring in that area, taking an AP class will help you a lot. But if you don't like it, don't take it.
Since you're considering a career in writing, the AP class might be a pretty good idea, but you don't have to take it. But it is good to challenge yourself when taking classes. You already said this, but colleges like seeing AP classes on applications.
There's nothing wrong with wanting an easy senior year; in fact i don't know anyone who doesn't lol. But just think, is an easy senior year worth giving up the AP class?
Since your near the top of your class, you shouldn't have any problems getting into a good college either way. I'm not sure how scholarships work, but you may have a better chance of getting a scholarship with the AP class. I could be wrong about that though lol
Then again, usually it's your sophomore/junior year colleges really make the descision, and since you've taken two AP classes already, you're pretty much set....

But the bottom line is, don't base your descision on what others say or think. Do what you feel is the best way for you

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Oh crap. I forgot to close this. Well the school year has already started and I decided to drop the AP class for World Lit. and American Lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back