• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character designs for a manga I'm making

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
NovaBay2.jpg

So Mayeko on deviantART and I are working on a semi-parodic web comic. Though she's doing the line work for the series and I'm just coloring it, I've done a big chunk of the design work so far and wanted to get some opinions on it. xD The basic idea of the plot is that Momoka (aka Mocha) was is the only girl in a huge family of martial artists. With parents like this, it's hard for a girl with lots of brothers not to be a tomboy. Throughout the story, she fights several different people, gangs are involved, yada yada yada. One of the biggest gangs in the series is the Knife Gang.

All I'm posting here is the Knife Gang's highest members, as that's the only solid group right now.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/heartlessnobody/Axe1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/heartlessnobody/axe2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/heartlessnobody/MrHan.jpg -the leader of the gang.

This old sheet also features various other characters that will appear in the series. The only real important one, though, is the one at the top center: Tsubimaru (one of Mocha's older brothers, and her 'sensei').

Also, some characters have unnatural powers

Sooooo...thoughts?

Last edited:

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Axe gang? As in, Kung Fu Hustle?

Mr. Han's design and the fight scene totally blow me away, btw. Some of the other designs seem kind of rushed, though :<

Raeneth

Has a custom user title
Awards
First off, the Random Fight scene is epic. I love it, and will probably favorite it after this >_>

The designs are definitely nice, but I feel three of the Axe gang look rather similar, and then you have the fourth which is just a crazy different design (which I find great). I was just disappointed that the second link didn't have as interesting-ish different characters. Of course, the similarities between the three (basically just talking hair style and body shape) can easily be erased when it gets down to coloring and scripting personalities, so that's not a big deal really. I know you have the variety in character designs judging from the other picture links you posted, so I'm not really worried about it :3

Mr. Han reminded me very vaguely of Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. Except Shishio is covered in... well.. a hell of a lot more bandages. The picture is nice, but the only thing that looks a bit off is the top of his head on the left. Hairline looks odd, forehead seems weird. I know it must be interesting to draw someone with facial bandages like that *never tried it personally* so yeah >_>;; Honestly everything else about him besides that one area for me is fantastic :3

>.< [/rambling]

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
D.....did I really put Axe Gang? I blame fatigue. D: They're the Knife Gang. Yes that is based off the Axe Gang. /edited

Dosukoi Bob's my favorite. :D

I'm glad Mr. Han is liked. And yeah, those bandages were rough on me. Luckily, I won't have to draw him anymore kukuku. But for the similarities, I think I see what you're saying. The personalities, assuming the text beside them is too small for you to read, are like night and day. So you don't have to worry about that. Also, yes. They were rushed/spur of the moment. :< Maybe I can build and refine them later? I dunno.

Thanks for the input, guys. =)

Blight

It's weird because the first two are on the suckish side while the last one is tottally bad ass. I've you you wre wiped when you dreww the first two or there by diffenert artist. Any REally good third drawing. The head might be too small though.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Recently finished the logo/title for the series, along with coloring some character busts by Mayeko.
Smells like coffee. by *heartless-nobody on deviantART
This series is gonna rawk (when we actually get around to making it). :0

Edit: M..Massive Attack, why does your sig/avi consist of Jamie Hewlett's vibrator art? Either you really like Jamie, or you really like vibrators. >.>'

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
JimmyStoleDaFlag.jpg

Managed to sketch this up in a lunch break, at work. Meet Jimmy Valentine (not his real name), Mocha's first major opponent in the series and most likely will become her long standing rival.

I've been considering, based on your comments on how lack luster some of the Knife Gang member designs are, making the characters more outlandish and...odd. Like some of these for another series I'm working on. Though that series has a much more flexible plot, that allows for a huge variety of characters. x(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back