• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Beautified or Uglified?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summonerbrandon

I was just curious... but what do you guys think about my pics? I hope that they are good. I also want to try and make sigs and avatars for you all if you want.

s-summonerbwm.gif

Believe.png
Sweetheart.png

image.php

Ultimecia-Pose.jpg

b0436e1e3eb34255bcdaa1e4f135e89d.jpg

attachment.php

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
may i ask why you used that phrase for the first one? ._.""

Also I have no idea, tbh, but it kind of seems like you use low quality pictures for your focus points... Which really damages the picture as a whole. It looks really messy.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
You're off to a good start. What program do you use? Gimp, PS?

First things first: Your stocks don't feel blended. I was the same way when I started, don't worry. But here, I'll show you how I started:

IngaSig.png

You have a similar thing going on. Your stock seems just thrown onto the background. Basically, you need to find a way to blend them together and give them depth, i.e. lighting or smudging. Depending on the program you use, I can make you some tutorials. My current sig is not my best work, just haven't had time to do much of anything besides my requests from the shop. Also, I saw your comment about gimp. I wouldn't dis it. Geo is a diddlying boss with gimp. It has a lot of potential

i.e.:
Cash2.png

and an example of geo's work:
saberNew.png

Do you use Sai or something?

I like what you are doing, you just need polish and more knowledge to enhance your style, which you still need to identify. That will come with practice.

The best one is the witch, by the way. Unfortunately the dimensions are rather small and it's difficult to see what you did.

By the way, ditch the text for the time being. Just focus on getting your sigs down. Then work on typography... it's a whole 'nother beast.

Last edited:

Summonerbrandon

@Sabrina :/ What phrase? Also, I really did not use a low quality picture. -.- For some reason, I always seem to end up making the images low quality and the latest work I did is the one I am using as a sig right now.

@Aldrain <_< Sadly, I am dissing it. Only time right now that I am actually using it is for brushes, effects and to try and merge my images. Everything else I mainly use Pixlr. There's Sumo Paint but I rarely touch it and use Pixlr. My main problem has always been depth and lighting. I tried dodging and burning for depth and I hated it and then I try using Gimp, making a path around the render and then make it go away from me and into the picture but I guess that is not working as well. Don't know if I'm suppose to put the render in first or do the background first... but I guess it is the latter that is messing me up because I always want to make sure that I know what background I want first so that it can go well with my render. -.- Trust me. What I am doing now is WAY better than I did at first. Don't believe me? Here are a couple of them that I did when I only had Gimp (Do not want to do the rest because they are the crappiest ever and I had no experience at the time):

02552b22568948f1ad0055732848c0b7

attachment.php

But if I am to put on the render first and then the background, then maybe that is why it looks like that I am not getting the blending that I want. Well, a lot of people were saying that I am improving from what I did at first but I want to get better. As for text... ugh. I know but I just do the text for fun and then make sure to have a picture without the text. <_< Please don't tell me that I need another program. Pixlr is the only program that help me go beyond what I want to do and sorry that I cannot do those C4Ds or whatever they are called with Photoshop.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
@Sabrina :/ What phrase? Also, I really did not use a low quality picture. -.- For some reason, I always seem to end up making the images low quality and the latest work I did is the one I am using as a sig right now.

@Aldrain <_< Sadly, I am dissing it. Only time right now that I am actually using it is for brushes, effects and to try and merge my images. Everything else I mainly use Pixlr. There's Sumo Paint but I rarely touch it and use Pixlr. My main problem has always been depth and lighting. I tried dodging and burning for depth and I hated it and then I try using Gimp, making a path around the render and then make it go away from me and into the picture but I guess that is not working as well. Don't know if I'm suppose to put the render in first or do the background first... but I guess it is the latter that is messing me up because I always want to make sure that I know what background I want first so that it can go well with my render. -.- Trust me. What I am doing now is WAY better than I did at first. Don't believe me? Here are a couple of them that I did when I only had Gimp (Do not want to do the rest because they are the crappiest ever and I had no experience at the time):

02552b22568948f1ad0055732848c0b7

attachment.php

But if I am to put on the render first and then the background, then maybe that is why it looks like that I am not getting the blending that I want. Well, a lot of people were saying that I am improving from what I did at first but I want to get better. As for text... ugh. I know but I just do the text for fun and then make sure to have a picture without the text. <_< Please don't tell me that I need another program. Pixlr is the only program that help me go beyond what I want to do and sorry that I cannot do those C4Ds or whatever they are called with Photoshop.

Don't beat yourself up. Tagging takes a LOT of practice. Just keep working. I have never ever used Pixlr. You want to do things one at a time really. I typically do the background first. Then I put the render in, touch up some things, do a little blending, then I do some lighting, and just start doing adjustment/effects whatever. I would suggest using gimp again, if Pixlr is getting you the quality you want, obviously PS is going to be the best for tagging, but once you learn gimp, you can churn out some pretty nice tags. You definitely need HQ renders. Pictures where you cannot see the individual pixels. Or things that don't look grainy. You always want crisp and clean. Tell you what: I don't want you to get discouraged, so, if you feel so compelled as to give gimp another shot at some point, let me know. I can make you some good tutorials. You'd be able to make your way around very easily.

As with your brush techniques: Change the layer effects, and don't be afraid to smudge them to soften them out a little. You gotta be unafraid to try crazy new things, even if they may not work. You may just find something amazing in the process.

As for the paths tool, that is slightly tricky to master. For the most basic of results: path around your stock, cntrl x and the cntrl v to get it into another layer, or I have found that if you use the fuzzy tool, and up the feathering to about... 10 you can select small areas of the photo and just hold control x and it will zap away a lot of the unwanted.

Summonerbrandon

... Oh. I do my background first too but I put my effects and stuff on there and then put my render on and try to merge the render into the background... which I am assuming why I am not getting my depth.

Oh. And do not worry. You will not discourage me so the tutorials will greatly be appreciated. Why I have been forum hopping so much for this reason.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Can you give me a rough guess at how similar Gimp and Pixlr are? Just so I know whether or not you can transpose what I am trying to say. Also, if you head over to my sig shop, Madman's Revenge, you will find a few tutorials on the front page that you could use.

Summonerbrandon

I can still use Gimp to try and test out what you are saying. Pixlr and Gimp is not any different but that to me, Pixlry is much more easy to work with the Toolbox (Since with Gimp, the toolbox tend to go away and I have to end up making me another toolbox once again with the way I wanted it to be made). You can also download brushes for Pixlr (Which I should start doing sometime soon. I would like to see what they have in store). What I like about Pixlr is that it comes with the Advanced and Efficient style and that I can pick either one to help myself out. Still, if I want to do something like your Sakuyamon tut in Madman's Revenge, then I would go to Pixlr Advance. Really do not require a download unlike Gimp so you can just google it and bam.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Gotcha. Well, I'll make a few tuts when I'm working on requests. I'll get them to you some time :)

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
^_^ That is greatly appreciated. Now as for me, I'll continue to work on depth... and I think the resizing is making my pictures low quality so I need to be careful on that.

Hold shift or cntrl to keep it to scale. As for the depth, lighting is key, and blending, and making the background seem expansive or deep, as well as making your stock fit into the foreground or middle ground.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Hey. Thanks for that shift part for Gimp. Very helpful. :)

It should work on your other programs too. No more blurryness, for the most part. You prolly want to sharpen it up a little after adjusting the stock size, if the change is drastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back