• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Another Side, Another Story

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number XIV

It looks like my cat's going to be okay. Close call, though. Here' s your chapter, complete with... Drive! Whoo!

CHAPTER 11

“I was joking! I was joking!” said Ciel defensively.

Spekkio glared at him. “Well, I was going to give you a gift, but I can see you don’t want it.”

“Aww, be fair! It’s just my bad sense of humor! I’m sorry, alright?”

“I was gonna give it to you anyway, kid!” laughed the creature. “Just giving you a hard time.”

“So... you’re the Master of War?” asked Ciel skeptically. “I mean, all jokes aside... you don’t look the part.”

“You don’t really look like much either, kid. That’s the point. If you’re weak, I look weak.” Spekkio spun around in a circle. “Appearances can be deceiving. Long before you were born... there was a kingdom where magic flourished. Everyone there could use it! But in time, people began to abuse their powers. It got so bad that no one was allowed to use magic except wizards. Wizards...” he added, “and Keyblade Wielders.”

“Hey, I’m a Keyblade Wielder!” exclaimed Ciel. Spekkio gave him a “no duh” roll of his eyes, which he ignored. “See?” he said, holding out his hands. His keyblades manifested in them.

“Kingdom Keys? You’re still using those? You need an upgrade, kid! Tell you what, I’ll upgrade your threads while I’m at it! Ipso, facto, meeny, moe... MAGICO!” shouted Spekkio. Ciel was lifted off the ground, and felt the magic rush around him, reshaping his clothes. He was now wearing a suit of black leather with white lining, with black metal armor across his wrists, shoulders, stomach, and around his waist.

“Whoa! Check it out!” marveled Ciel. He called his keyblades, and noticed that the right keyblade had changed. It was now a jagged, curvy blade made out of bone, with a cloth wrapped handle, and a pocketwatch on the end of the keychain.

“It’s called ‘Time’s Scar’. Any time you want to swap out your keyblades, just take off the keychain, and put on a different one. And the keychain has to have some powerful memories in it- you can’t just hang any old piece of junk on it. Got it?”

“Yes, Mr. Spekkio!”

After he had taught him to cast Fire, Spekkio sent Ciel through a portal to Radiant Garden. Ciel had heard about it from his father, who had become obsessed with surpassing them. One look around, and Ciel could see why. The place was beautiful- a dazzling mix of nature at its finest, intermingled with advanced technology. It was enough to make a technician drool, but Ciel was no technician, so he mostly just wondered what he was supposed to be doing here.. Ciel thought back to what Spekkio had said to him before he left.

“Also, those clothes I gave you aren’t just for show. They have power. They’ll shape themselves, and you, to fit whatever world you venture into. Also, if you know that you can’t win a fight, focus on the strength of your heart, and the clothes will respond. It’s called ‘Drive’.” The creature had been awfully generous, but it wasn’t inconceivable that it was just glad to see someone for a change. Leaving at the End of Time must be pretty boring.

“Are you... new here?” asked a girl’s voice from behind. Ciel turned around to see a raven-haired girl clad in a black sleeveless shirt and short shorts. “And did you just mentally call me ‘raven-haired’? Well, thank you! Incidentally, it’s a tank top, not a sleeveless shirt.”

“Umm... hi. I’m Ciel. I’m just passing through,” said Ciel noncommitally. “So I better just keep moving....”

“Hey, what’s the rush?” the girl asked. “Am I bothering you?” The girl looked unhappy.

“It’s not that...” mumbled Ciel. “It’s just that every time you wave your arm, well....” He pointed at the girl’s hand, which was closed tightly around a large shuriken.

“Have I been waving that around this whole time? Sorry,” she apologized, slinging it onto her back. “It’s nice to meet you, Ciel. I’m the great ninja Yuffie.”

Ciel was momentarily tempted toward sarcasm, but as he looked at the way the girl moved, and held herself, it seemed entirely possible that she was in fact a ninja. “A ninja? Walking the streets? This place scares me already...” he whispered.

“Don’t be like that! Hollow Bas- I mean, Radiant Garden’s great! I’d like to leave soon, just so I can do a little adventuring, but I’ll certainly miss it here. I’m one of the people who made it what it is today, you know.”

“It may sound like a load of crap,” said another voice, “but it’s actually true.” A brown-haired man in a black leather coat stepped out of the shadows. He had a long scar diagonally across his face. “Leon,” said the man. Ciel figured that it was his name.

“Nice to meet you.” Ciel was trying to be polite, but he was really just wondering who these people were, and why they were bothering him.

“So how ‘bout it, Leon? I found one, so can I go now?” pleaded Yuffie.

The man scoffed. “He’s hardly strong enough. Besides, you haven’t even asked him yet.”

Ciel glared at Leon. “I don’t know who you think you are, but I’ve had enough of this.” He held out his hands, and manifested his keyblades. “You wanna see how strong I am firsthand before you judge?” Ciel was tired, confused, and irritated. He wasn’t in any mood to take crap from a brown-haired stranger.

Leon drew a gunblade from a holster behind his waist. “Fine with me.” Ciel leapt at the man, and slashed away, ducking and jumping around furiously. The man blocked a few of Ciel’s strikes, jumped back, and fired his gunblade, forcing Ciel into a retreat. Leon dashed toward Ciel, and swung once. Ciel held up his keyblades to block the blow, but the force of the swing sent him tumbling backwards, with his keyblades flying away from him. “You’re fast, kid, but you’re not putting any force into those swings.”

“I don’t need any help from you!” snapped Ciel. He stuck out his hands, calling his keyblades back, and resumed his attack. Leon smiled as he stopped each blow, unshaking under the force of Ciel’s strikes. Ciel sent another flurry of blows at the man, and then pulled back the Time’s Scar, and swung it forward full force. The strength of the slash pushed Leon backward, but the man didn’t stumble or fall.

“Good. You may not want my help, but at least you’re smart enough to accept it when it’s given.” Leon leaned back casually. “Lesson two- magic.”

“One step ahead of ya!” shouted Ciel, raising the Time’s Scar. The weapon glowed with magic, shimmering. “Fire!” A small fireball burst from the end, flying toward Leon.

“Reflect,” say Leon casually. A sphere of transparent interlocking hexagons appeared around him, and the Fire spell deflected off of it, barely missing Ciel’s face. He could feel the heat as the spell raced past his face. Ciel jumped forward, and smashed his keyblade down on the barrier. The weapon rebounded, and Ciel stumbled backward again. The barrier disappeared, and Leon swung his sword down to Ciel’s feet, and pulled the trigger. The resulting explosion knocked Ciel down yet again. “You’ve got lots of potential, but you’ve got no experience. It takes a lot of power to make up for inexperience.

Ciel’s heart was beating fast. He couldn’t lose to this guy, not this easily. If he couldn’t beat some arrogant street swordman, what was he going to do against Organization XIII? He needed more strength! He pulled himself up to a kneel, and concentrated. (I need more power!) he thought desperately. He could feel his adrenaline pumping, and his body surge with power. “Drive Form Guardian! Give me strength!”

The magic of the clothing Spekkio had given him surged up. He could feel himself being lifted off the ground, the clothes being reshaped around him, and power surging through him. The magic lowered Ciel to the ground, and he took a look at himself.

His clothes were now green, in the form of a flowing, long trenchcoat. Under the coat, he was wearing a suit of full-plate black steel armor. Across his eyes were a pair of circular sunglasses. He stood slowly, lifting his keyblades carefully.

“Well...” said Leon, taken aback, “I see you have a trump card.”

“Are you going to tell me what you even want with me yet?”

“Sit tight, kid. The fight’s almost over.”

END CHAPTER 11

Number XIV

CHAPTER 12

“Drive is the power of the heart,” explained Spekkio. “When you fight, your heart lends its strength to your body, giving you the power to fight. But the heart supplies too much strength, more than your body can use. So Drive-enhanced material absorbs this excess, which would otherwise be wasted, and once enough of it is built up, can be used to enhance your or fuse with another.”

“Fuse?” asked Ciel, puzzled. “What is this, Dragon Ball Z? But whatever. So I can Drive by myself, or with somebody else? Sweet.”

“It’s not that simple. You can only Drive with someone you have a deep connection and understanding with. Just some random guy, or even a fairly close friend, won’t work. You need to be very close, sharing a mutual understanding.”

“Man, what a pain! Well, alright. So all I have to do is concentrate on it, right?”

Ciel stared Leon down, his trenchcoat fluttering in the wind.

“Your Drive certainly has a flair for the dramatic, doesn’t it?” asked Leon sarcastically. Ciel was surprised that he even knew what it was, but it had been made clear that the explaining would follow the fight. For now, he just had to win. He jumped at Leon, who raised his gunblade easily, and fired. The explosion rolled around Ciel, but couldn’t push through his armor, and he pushed through the flames, and hammered Leon with a backhand slash.

Leon slid backward, trying to control his momentum, and Ciel sprang after him, smashing away his gunblade. Leon cast Reflect, but Ciel’s offensive overwhelmed it, and he knocked Leon to the ground.

“You give in yet?” asked Ciel, pushing up his sunglasses. Leon stood slowly, and nodded.

“Sure. Next time, I’ll have to take you seriously.” Normally, saying something like this would have made Ciel angry, but he had the feeling the whole fight that the man was holding back, even at the end. “Yuffie, you can try to talk him into it, but I doubt he’ll go for it. Even if he does, you’ll need a third for the group.”

“Aww, Leon!” complained Yuffie.

Ciel raised a hand. “Any chance of finding out what you guys want with me?” he asked sarcastically.

Yuffie looked him over. “Well…” she said with a pause, “it’s like this. I want to leave, but Leon doesn’t want me leaving without some kind of companion. He’s worried about me.” Leon opened his mouth to interject, but Yuffie kept talking. “So I said that I would find a keyblade wielder to journey with, because companions don’t get much stronger than that. I didn’t actually expect to find one, though.”

“Wait… you’re trying to get me to accompany you?”

“You don’t want to? You look like you’ve been doing a fair bit of wandering already.”

“It’s not that, but…” Ciel began, but he gave up. “It’s complicated,” he said simply.

Yuffie shrugged. “Come back to my place, get some rest, think things over,” she suggested. Ciel began to blush. “I’m not going to do anything!”

“I know, it’s just… going over to the house of a girl I hardly know…” he said quietly. Yuffie was surprised that he was so shy about it, and it actually seemed kinda cute.

“Oh, come on! Just follow me, you’re in no condition to argue.” With a flash of light, Ciel’s Drive disappeared, and he stumbled after Yuffie tiredly.

“Man… being a keyblade wielder is way too much exercise….”

“Xain!” called Maxida. Terre/Xain sighed.

What?!” snarled the human puppet, turning around with his eyes flashing.

“Impressive. You can control this boy so completely, and you’re not even in the room.” Maxida looked at Terre with interest.

“You doubt my abilities? You would, you bloody mad scientist.”

“You know, it occurs to me that the only reason you were accepted into the Organization is because no one here had hearts for you to speak to,” mused Number X-2. “Now that you have a voice, I suspect the other members will be considerably less tolerant of you.”

“Is that a threat?!”

“Temper, temper! You should know me better, XI-2. I merely find it amusing to consider. Besides, our abilities make us a total mismatch, anyway. It would hardly be a fair fight.” Maxida smiled gently. “If you’re itching for a fight, however, I might be able to provide you with an opponent.”

“One of your Reunited? No thanks. Those things are incomplete, anyway. A complete one, now that would be worth my time.”

“Oh, you like the idea?” said Maxida in surprise. “Taking a Heartless, and its matching Nobody, and forcing them back together, to form a creature with the power of both, and yet not human?” He bent over his desk, and picked up a clipboard. “The problem is, trying to force the union always forces the soul to separate, and become its own entity. I tried to recreate Ansem the Wise’s technique, which he used on Sora/Roxas, but… that only seems to work when both sides are somewhat willing. And they also have to be very strong. Maybe with a member of Organization XIII….”

“Forget it,” replied Terre/Xain. “The first thing I did, when I became a Nobody, was hunt down my Heartless, and destroy it.”

“Oh? What a strange thing to do… and I’m surprised you found it.”

“You forget that we were originally the same person- it had the same idea, and was hunting me.” Terre turned and left the lab with a half-wave. “See ya, prick.”

Maxida turned back to his research. He was trying to make another reuniting machine, one that should be more effective, but he didn’t have a lot of hope for it. He had the feeling that there was something critical missing from his calculations. He glanced back at his math, and shook his head. Better to make the machine, and then see why it doesn’t work.

END CHAPTER 12

So, I also try to explain why Sora can't Drive with everybody he meets here, too. Too bad, says I. Jack Skelington Drive would have been badass. Second chapter will be up a bit later, I'll edit this post.

CHAPTER 13

Yuffie closed the door to her room with a sigh. "I think you overdid it, Squall."

"Leon," answered the man. Yuffie was the only one who ever called him that. "It's Leon."

Yuffie ignored him. "He's passed out on my couch. He said he'd been fighting Heartless all day." Her face softened. "He kind of reminds me of how Sora was, back then...."

"That's because you haven't spent any time with him," said Leon dismissively. "I can tell how different they are. But that's not the point here. My conclusion is that, if he continues to grow, which I believe he will, I have no problem with you going with him. But, as I said, you need a third."

"Oh, come, Leon! We can handle ourselves!"

"There is power in numbers. Don't forget that. Three is a very powerful number, and for that purpose, fate always arranges for large quests to be undertaken in groups of three. This is merely me giving fate a hand."

"Giving fate a hand?" snorted Yuffie derisively. Leon's expression was somber and serious. "You really mean it? Well, where am I going to find a third?"

"I am looking to leave Radiant Gaden, so I'd be willing, if you'd have me," said a voice from the shadows. Yuffie jumped,

"Sneaking up on a ninja?! Who are you, you-" she began, but the man in question stepped out the shadows quickly, and Yuffie stopped in surprise. "Vincent? What are you doing here?"

"This is an apartment complex. Thus, it is not your property, and I have not trepassed. But if you must know, I went to see Reeve. Or rather, Cait Sith."

"Reeve? What are you up to, Vincent?" asked Yuffie curiously. Cait Sith was a robot (and a strange one at that), but its real importance was the person who controlled in on the other end- Reeve Tuesti, the current mayor of Midgar, the world that Vincent was from. Vincent had left for Radiant Garden in the wake of a cataclysmic meteor strike. The new mayor had a time fixing things up, and there was still a fair bit about the world that was feeling the aftereffects of the meteor.

"I intend to, rather soon, move back. However, my plans are not pressing. If you have need of a third, here I am."

"A bit more qualified of a companion than I had expected, Yuffie," remarked Leon. "When Ciel wakes, you had best discuss it with him."

"That's the other thing that was bothering me, Leon. Didn't Riku and that girl say something about-" asked Yuffie, and Leon nodded.

"A keyblade wielder named Ciel. We don't know how to contact them, and perhaps it's better that way. Let them follow their seperate paths until they converge."

"Feeling cryptic today, aren't we?" teased Yuffie. Leon ignored her.

Riku gazed over the many rooftops of Traverse Town. Without Leon and company, the place actually looked pretty empty. Plenty of people, nothing interesting. A traditional place for lost people to turn up, maybe, but hardly one for them to stay. Ciel wouldn't be here.

"How many worlds are there. Master Riku?" said Coeur tiredly. They had been searching for two days, and across five different worlds, including Twilight Town.

"Enough that searching them all would be a near impossibility. But don't worry, he can't have gone that far." Riku hopped down off of the building, and glanced at the girl. She looked tired, and worried. "Don't think on it too much. He has Keyblades, he has a strong heart. The Heartless aren't going to be much of a threat to him. What I'm worried about is him getting lost." This wasn't entirely true, but it had the desired effect- Coeur relaxed a it, looking relieved. "You must be tired. Let's find a hotel for the night."

Coeur nodded, pulling off her leather gloves. She had no need of a weapon, as she fought hand-to-hand, but without her gloves on, she would probably have gotten some Heartless... whatever on her hands, and that sounded pretty revolting. It had been almost entirely Heartless that they had fought, and for a moment, Coeur wondered what the Nobodies were doing. Well, wondering wasn't going to find Ciel. She had to keep moving forward, with her head held up.

"The Keyblade Wielder lives? He escaped you?"

"I can send my Heartless after him now! He won't get away!" said the agent passionately. "I will hunt him to the edge of the universe! He will not escape my wrath, or the wrath of the Seven!"

"That last bit, at least, is true. The rest, however, is not necessary. You are being relieved."

"What? No! No, no, no! I could have him so-"

"Are you refuting the will of the Seven?"

The Agent gritted his teeth in anticipation of his punishment. "That was not my intent at all, my lord!"

"Then that's almost worse. At first, I just thought you were adverse to the idea, and going to stand up for yourself, but it appears you're too cowardly to stand your ground, and only speak your mind by accident." The voice was soft, pitying. "How sad."

"My lord, give me another chance! I can have the Keybladers destroyed!"

"Get some rest, Nartis, First Agent of the Seven." The agent smiled at this, glad to hear the caring in the other's voice. "Eternally." His expression turned to horror, and he turned to run, but he felt a terrible pain as something pierced his back, blasting straight through him. He gasped, and vaporized into a cloud of darkness.

END CHAPTER 13

Last edited:

Number XIV

Okay, so I haven't been updating. I won't bother you with my arsenal of excuses. But I'll be back on schedule on Monday. What we need to decide is what to do when I get writer's block. There needs to be some kind of update I can do, and I'd like reader input on this. Also, you can choose what Tuesday's chapter will be about- Ciel and co., The Org, Riku and Coeur, or what happened to Sora.

Sorry, all.

Number XIV

CHAPTER 14

Ciel woke slowly, stretching and yawning as he sat up. His eyes adjusted to the light coming in from the window behind him, and he glanced around the room. It was a rather plain, small apartment room, with a door that led to the apartment complex itself, and another, just 20 feet away from him, that led... actually, he had no idea. The door was thick, heavy wood, so he couldn’t see any hint of the room beyond, or even if the light was on in it..

He took another quick look around, but he didn’t see Yuffie. The bed in the corner looked recently used, though, so she was up. Where was she? He stood up, and brushed himself off. One nice thing about having magic clothes- they don’t wrinkle when you sleep in them. Yuffie must have gone out. Well, that was fine. He could use a little free time, just to relax a bit.

He walked over to the door to the hallway, and tried it. It was unlocked, so he’d be able to get out. It might lock once he closed the door, but who cared? He had keyblades. They were very good at unlocking simple things like that. He stepped outside, and breathed in the fresh morning air.

The sky was cloudy, but the sun managed to dodge all the clouds to send its light cascading down over the appropriately named world of Radiant Garden. Brilliant colored flowers were all around, even up on the stairway where Ciel now stood. The stairs ran down the side of the building to the ground, with a simple but attractive silver railing adorning the marble stairs.

Ciel was taken aback. “Everything is so beautiful here...” he whispered reverently. He descended the stairs slowly, listening to the sounds of the city all around him. It wasn’t too busy, or too crowded, but there was the low rhythm of a city’s heartbeat, the cars, the people, the shops. The city was in full bloom.

From the shadows, Ciel caught sight of something moving. “A cat?” he said cautiously.

Wrong. A Neo Shadow Heartless sprang at him, slashing with its claws. Ciel quickly caught the creature with one summoned keyblade, and smashed it away with the other.

With three loud reports from behind Ciel, the Heartless’s frame shook, and it evaporated into darkness. “Your reflexes are good.” A man detached himself from the shadows, wearing a red cloak and headband with a pistol in his hand. His hair was flowing and black, and his eyes were red. “Come.”

Ciel wasn’t sure how, but he knew to trust the man. He nodded, and the two of them ran off into the streets. More Heartless awaited them... more than Ciel could count. “How did so many get here without anyone stopping them?” he marveled. “No matter. Give me strength!” he shouted, concentrating on his Drive. Nothing happened.

“The Drive cannot be used constantly. Save it, conserve. It is a trump card, not an all-purpose weapon,” warned his cloaked companion. The man swung his pistol around, rapidly acquiring and dropping targets with an assassin’s precision.

Ciel sighed, and lunged forward. Without Drive, this would be much more difficult. He swung his keyblades around him in a whirl of attacks, fending off flanking Heartless. He smashed one into the air, and leapt up to meet it, a whirling dervish of attacks. His keyblades struck the creature over and over again, whittling away at it, until it finally disintegrated.

Another Heartless jumped toward him, and he grabbed it, and hurled it at the others, scattering them like bowling pins. The downed creatures were easy kills, but more were running to fill their ranks. Off to his side, the gunman was slashing the beasts away with a clawed metal hand. He flipped backward, firing rapidly, and then spun away again, gracefully reloading and firing again in a fluid motion. The man was clearly far more experienced than Ciel, but he was determined not to fall behind.

Ciel’s keyblades flashed out again, eliminating all the weak enemies first. The stronger ones... he’d have to come up with something for. “Fire!” he yelled, casting a spinning ring of fire around himself. The Heartless were running out, but those that were left would be a challenge.

A charging swipe by a Soldier broke his guard, and the followup knocked him down, panting in exhaustion. He scrambled backward, avoiding the assaults of the Heartless, and backed up against a wall. He was getting tired... and the creatures could sense it.

Through a crowd of Heartless to his right, he could hear gunfire, which meant that his ally was too busy to help him out. He shook his head, and braced himself against a wall. He didn’t really have the stamina for this kind of thing, but trying was the best way to get it.

He sprang off of the wall, smashing the creatures aside. He rolled to a stop, and easily dodged a Neo Shadow’s attack, and countered viciously. The Neo Shadows were some of the toughest Heartless he had fought, but they had their weaknesses, just like any other. The problem was, of course, that they just... wouldn’t... die! He hammered one with all his might, and it smashed through a window, dazed, but hardly injured. He leapt after it, slashing furiously at it with both keyblades. He drove it into a wall, and kept on attacking relentlessly until the creature finally died.

The gunman shot down the last few of them, and looked at Ciel expectantly. Though exhausted, he knew better than to argue, and the two of them ran back down the street in search of more Heartless... not that they were hard to find.

He didn’t really understand it. His arms were completely sore, his whole body was exhausted, and by all logic he should have collapsed. But instead, his arms continued their slashing and parrying, and his legs kept running, dodging, and jumping. Adrenaline was his only fuel now- his brain was just sitting back with its arms crossed, shouting “OMG WTF!”.

He vaulted over a Soldier, and stabbed the Time’s Scar into the small gap under its helmet. The creature evaporated in a cloud of black, and Ciel kept on moving with determination. He finished off the last Heartless in the area, and stopped for a quick breather.

“Oi! Ciel!” shouted a familiar voice. “What are you doing out here?” Yuffie landed in front of him, carrying her oversized shuriken. “And what are all these Heartless doing here? I thought that our defense system-”

“Yuffie,” said the red cloaked man calmly.

“Vince! So you’ve been with Ciel this whole time?” exclaimed Yuffie. “Well, I guess I’m coming with, then! Let’s finish off these Heartless!”

“I don’t like to be called that,” said the man coldly. “Vincent is my name.”

“Is it? Nice to meet you. I’m Ciel,” said Ciel awkwardly. The man nodded.

Yuffie stared at the two. “You’ve been fighting together all morning and it just occurred to you to introduce yourselves?!” she said incredulously. Vincent nodded. Yuffie sighed, burying her face in her palm. “...Men...” she grumbled.

“We should hurry. We’re close,” said Vincent.

“Close? To what?” asked Ciel. Vincent ignored him, and ran ahead.

END CHAPTER 14

Last edited:

Number XIV

Fun fact! This story is long since dead... or is it? Next month is NaNoWriMo... I will be participating... and this story will be rewritten, and rise from the ashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back