• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► An Aching Topic: Discworld

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDuck

Well I've noticed that the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett has been recommended several times, but I haven't found any threads discussing it.

Since Pratchett is my favorite modern author I decided to start one. Discuss here your favorite title, characters, or even Pratchett's non-Discworld books. I'd love to hear people's impressions of Nation.

My current favorites in this second-hand set of dimensions in the astral plane that was never meant to fly:

Soul Music- just an all around good story, with some of the most in depth examinations of what it means to be human (Death's stories contain lots of these moments) and the meaning of duty and responsibility.

The Tiffany Aching series- in my opinion one of the best coming of age stories ever. Also where else would you learn that "Meep!" is kitten-ese for "chicken"?

Moist von Lipwig- sometimes you just need a thoroughly perverted, untrustworthy criminal mastermind.

Thud!- because some things are important.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
I don't read Discworld novels anymore, but I still have Colour of Magic, Mort, Sourcery, Faust Eric, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Feet of Clay, The Hogfather, The Last Hero, The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky.

A lot more than I thought I had :I

DaisyDuck

Too bad about not reading them anymore. Any reason why or did you just get into a different series?

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
I kind of went off it. It was pretty much the only thing I read when I was around 10, but then I started reading some of the 'greats' of literature and was distracted from Discworld.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
I've read
The Colour of Magic,
The Light Fantastic,
Equal Rites,
Mort,
The Wee Free Men
etc etc etc.

I do really like Discworld, but I don't see any point in religiously reading them all - too much of a good thing, I reckon. Plus, I don't have the time. (Same as Massive Attack, I read them when I was younger, then got distracted by other books and pursuits)

But they are extremely funny - well from what I remember anyway. I guess they're cool to delve into, I might actually buy a random one and have a read :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back