• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

When are we expecting news?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NoWay

Awards
I wanna believe this means the game is in the latter-late stages. Cuz workin' on "a number" of tracks can only really be a thing if uh...there's concrete stuff

Edit: Never mind...IGN updated the article with this.

Correction: A previous version of this story said Shimomura was working on several songs for Kingdom Hearts 4. That was a misunderstanding, and this article has been updated to reflect that Shimomura instead meant she's working on various tracks for several different games.

I regret being critical 💀

Awards
Y'know we wouldn't need to grasp at straws if SE was competent enough to market more than one big game without being afraid that one of 'em would implode.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I wonder if it was SE or Shimomura’s own team that asked them to change it. If the former, it makes me a little anxious that they’d intentionally want to downplay the KH4 hype this generated without telling us anything we didn’t know already. Lol

I wonder what else she’s working on besides this and Missing Link. I assume Reynatis is finished or close to it since it releases in July.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
How far would this place 4 on the development timeline
I don’t know. I do believe they’ve been working on the songs and this retraction is from the Square Enix camp, so I’d imagine they’d surely be deep into development but I’ve been so wrong over the years.

I can only try to imagine how it’s done based on my industry, which is completely different to the games industry so any guess of mine would be wrong. I’ve worked on a lot of productions where we’ve had music commissioned and delivered before the proper work began, and we then used that music to shape the work (if the tracks weren’t completely tossed to the side which has happened).

Someone as which such talent and experience as Shimomura would work alongside Nomura to know what’s being included in the game from the outset so they can work on tone and scale (remember we got one track in 2022 and she was on stage with him at an event in 2023(?) so surely she’s been involved in discussions over the last couple of years)

There’s also the baseline of having iconic Disney songs to work from so that might speed the work up a little bit too, which would allow them to work closer to the end of production than towards the start.

I don’t know what music was new in the Missing-Link beta outside of Dearly Beloved but I’d imagine they’d be cheap and just reuse all the songs they have in their library rather than commission more. If they did then surely something of the smaller scale would go to another composer? Maybe? I don’t know.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I know it means nothing now, but just for reference for those asking what it would have meant for development… This was from 2017.

I heard you (Shimomura) and Mr. Nomura had a little discussion before concerts today, what was that all about?

Nomura
: “Write those KH3 songs” I told her. If there’s going to be future concerts, we’re going to also need new music along with that… something like that (laughs)

That’s definitely music we’d love to hear! So Ms. Shimomura, how’s that production coming along?

Shimomura
: Uh….. (laughs). I really have to get to work on those…

Nomura: Hey, 1 or 2 isn’t enough. You need to finish all of them, like around 700? (laughs)

Shimomura: Oi, that’s more than all the KH songs I’ve compiled so far! (laughs)
Week after week, I’ve been travelling all around, from Hong Kong to Los Angeles… But It’s all finally come to a close now so soon I can get to work… I may have gotten a bit stale by now, though.

Source: https://www.khinsider.com/news/Fami...n-KINGDOM-HEARTS-3-s-Music-to-Start-Soon-9580

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
To be fair, we also don’t know how long she’s been working on the songs, or other composers have been, if they’re actually actively working on it.

But all of this is just guess work, estimates based on nothing, and hopes and wishes. The anniversary is in less than a week, let us pray that it will be the reunion with the series we need.

Awards
To be fair, we also don’t know how long she’s been working on the songs, or other composers have been, if they’re actually actively working on it.

But all of this is just guess work, estimates based on nothing, and hopes and wishes. The anniversary is in less than a week, let us pray that it will be the reunion with the series we need.
And if it's not I will literally wonder if SE and the devs actually think total silence for nearly two years is a good idea.

Like imagine how the DQ fandom feels. They literally have just a logo.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
And if it's not I will literally wonder if SE and the devs actually think total silence for nearly two years is a good idea.

Like imagine how the DQ fandom feels. They literally have just a logo.
DQ, KH, and Drakengard / Neir fandoms rise up

petition-for-the-bbs-trio-to-have-their-own-kh3-esque-anti-v0-mgul7jx7su2a1.png

Awards
Hearing something next week even something on KHML would be nice, but if nothing happens,
I still have some hope for April 10th in reference to the 20th anniversary event.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Drakenier fans got Replicant, they have no right to complain. Try being a Shadow Hearts fan.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
One thing I’ve been keeping an eye out for is the quarterly Q&A SE usually has for their earnings calls. Sometimes they can give us hints to what the company might be planning for the coming fiscal year.

They had one back on 2/5 and usually the Q&A drops 4-5 weeks later. But so far, they’ve yet to share it. Wonder what’s up with that.

Chie

Awards
Yeah I would not compare Drakenier to any of this, we shouldn't even expect that series to be getting new games all the time in the first place. DQ12 and KH4 were actually, like, announced and then nothing.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I only mentioned it because I thought they were teasing a new game but hadn't announced it, so I thought fans were in the same boat of having waited years since the last game but have no information, but I googled and it seemed to actually have been in reference to a mobile game. My bad =(

edit: I didn't want to mention "dead" franchises like The Bouncer, Chrono Cross, or TWEWY because I wanted a relevant and somewhat recent fandom to include in a joke about the pains of being a Square Enix fan. I just wanted a third thing to include to match the trio, I'm sorry for bringing Nier into this it wasn't serious 😭

Last edited:

Chie

Awards
I mean if he was teasing a new game that would be the first anyone's heard about a new game, so people would have only just started "waiting". KH is a constantly continuing story and DQ is an age-old institution but Drakengard/NieR is a weird anomaly of a thing, I wouldn't necessarily expect a new game just because.

If we're talking just any Square-owned series that we feel should have continued, well, it's been 25 years since Chrono Cross...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
NieR fans have been waiting since 2017 for a proper continuation of the series. Reincarnation is fine but it is a mobile game.

I am not and will never include Replicant because it was a remaster of the original. That’d be like saying we didn’t wait forever for a game after KH3 because hey we got the Switch port or PC releases.

Come on guys. Everybody is in the same boat except for FF7 fans.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Meanwhile Mana fans are finally being fed with a new game after waiting since 2006 for a new mainline entry. Visions was actually announced to be in development back in 2021 and only fully revealed in December, so they had a similar two year waiting period. So I’d say they had a comparable experience too.

Like Spock said, we’re all in the same boat. We’re just in peak FF season right now between VII, XVI, and XIV. But that’ll be over by summer. There probably won’t be any more big FF games for another 2-3 years after that. So the other IPs should be getting back in the spotlight here soon.

Back