• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Worst experience involving a video game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

magic713

Awards
What would you say is a bad video game experience that really stuck with you? It could be something in the gameplay that changed that turned you off from the game, or the story. Or it can be meta, like accomplishing a difficult task only to lose the data.

For me, I a moment that stuck to me, wasn't exactly my experience playing the game, but I was a definite contributor to the madness. I was with my cousins as one of them was playing Ocarina of Time, and they beat Ganondorf and escaped Ganon's Castle. I had to go upstairs and as I was passing by, my foot hit the game cartridge and it froze the collapsing-tower cutscene, before the final boss. Suffice to say, I moved much faster getting the heck out of there.

vaderskywalker

Awards
I tried playing DOOM on PS1 when I was probobly 5, 6 or 7, needless to say it freaked me out, but I got around to playing it, eventually, after 20 something years, but I can now safley say I am a fan, got all the games,(except DOOM 3, because the canicity of it is questionble), and the only one I have yet to get my hands on, is DOOM Eternal, but I will get my hands on it at somepoint.

Last edited:

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
My worst gaming experience off the top of my head:

I was trying to get the platinum trophy on BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. I only had 2, maybe 3, platinum trophies before that, so trophy hunting was still a super new concept to me at the time. I had dabbled in fighting games over the years, mostly some random Street Fighter 2 on a cabinet in a pizza shop, playing Tekken at someone's house on PS1, or like, Dragon Ball Z Budokai on PS2. But BlazBlue felt like my first real fighting game to me, at least insofar as requiring more complex inputs and me actually putting time into learning said inputs at home.

So, at this point I'd been playing it for a couple months, I found my main, trained with some people online (met a really great person who helped me figure out some game intricacies with my character), and all I had left was Score Attack mode.

For those who don't know, Score Attack SUCKS. The hardest difficulty on BlazBlue was either Hell or Nightmare, and Score Attack was a difficulty further (further than the "highest"). You had to win a fight against every opponent in the game in just gruelingly difficult battles, and if you lost you had to start over. I found out about a second controller trick so that if you almost died you could basically retry the match you're on without having to start all over, and I'll tell you, even with that trick I continued to struggle for weeks and weeks trying to master these fights and just get a little bit further, it was so difficult.

One fateful rainy night, I was on the final Score Attack battle. I'm so frustrated at this point, but refusing to give up. Not only would beating this give me the platinum trophy, give me my 100%, but I will have just accomplished something so difficult that I put so much time into. I got closer and closer, and then... I did it!

I beat the final Score Attack fight! My heart was pounding, hands sweating, the credits started to roll- and our power went out in the rainstorm before my trophies popped. My sweet, hard-earned moment lasted but 20 seconds before it was ripped away from me cruely.

The story doesn't have a horrible ending. When our power came back and the storm was over, as much as I didn't want to, I tried again. And crushed the entirety of Score Attack mode my first try that time. I've never attempted a Score Attack mode on another ArcSys fighting game again.

Back