• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Is anyone else getting sick of this concept? (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
The multiverse is in everything now a days, it used to be like once in a blue moon you would get a tv show with a single episode and then never hear about it again, like the 2000s justice league with the justice lords, but it seems to have risen in popularity in the last decade, what are your thoughts? P.s. I know about sliders being a show all about the concept, but that was back when like no one thought about it as much and comicbooks don't count, I'm talking strictly about tv shows, movies and video games(if there are any).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I like it sometimes... But it is getting overused. I feel like it's only become common because you have several companies who own massive amounts of IP now, not because it suits the story in some cases. It works with Spider-Man because it was being used as clean-up to that messy franchise, basically.

vaderskywalker

Awards
I love the concept. But I can absolutely understand why people might be getting sick of it.
I love the concept too, but It's basically everywhere now and It's kind of ruined for me now because, well, okay it's too much of a good thing, let's put it that way, for example Kingdom Hearts seems very much like a multiverse, and it works there, but everywhere else, it has become oversaturated.
I like it sometimes... But it is getting overused. I feel like it's only become common because you have several companies who own massive amounts of IP now, not because it suits the story in some cases. It works with Spider-Man because it was being used as clean-up to that messy franchise, basically.
How is Spider-Man a messy franchise?

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
The MCU definitely has an influence on it, I think.

But it's also because comics were very messy, with release schedules all over the place and different variations of the same story. A multiverse is what helps clean it up, as said earlier. But the MCU has definitely popularized the trope, almost to an exhausting degree.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is a interesting topic. For me I'll mainly be speaking of it through my exposure via Marvel content. I think the concept is interesting and can be fun every once in awhile and when done right. But now that everyone is doing it to clean up messes or to bring back every actor from different studios, it's become lazy, predictable, and exhausting. What should be a fun idea has become a crutch and I'm bored of it. Multiverses feel like a extreme fad right now. Again, I like the concept but don't like how everything now hinges on them.

vaderskywalker

Awards
This is a interesting topic. For me I'll mainly be speaking of it through my exposure via Marvel content. I think the concept is interesting and can be fun every once in awhile and when done right. But now that everyone is doing it to clean up messes or to bring back every actor from different studios, it's become lazy, predictable, and exhausting. What should be a fun idea has become a crutch and I'm bored of it. Multiverses feel like a extreme fad right now. Again, I like the concept but don't like how everything now hinges on them.
I agree, Ya 'know the line in no way home when Doctor Strange, says, "the multiverse is a concept of which we know frighteningly little.", well, it's been upgraded to, "the multiverse is a concept of which we know frighteningly too much", seriously, from the Arrowverse to the MCU, to Power Rangers, there's too much of it, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Not really because I just avoid the series I don't care about. For example, Bayonetta 3 did it but I don't care about Bayonetta and I don't have a Switch so it's not a problem. I liked the concept and it easier to grasp than time travel so I'm fine with other series doing it.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Not really because I just avoid the series I don't care about. For example, Bayonetta 3 did it but I don't care about Bayonetta and I don't have a Switch so it's not a problem. I liked the concept and it easier to grasp than time travel so I'm fine with other series doing it.
I wouldn't know, I've never played the Bayonetta games, but what I mean is it takes away the mystery in fiction, like Marvel's What if, like what if Agent Carter was injected with the serum instead of Steve Rogers, we didn't need to have the answer to that, questions like that belong in fanfiction, it probably ruined someone's fanfiction now that I think about it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You're doing the vague thread title thing again.

Anyway, yeah it's a bit overdone. Pokemon ASOR introducing the Pokemon multiverse was a bridge too far for me. I didn't need an explanation for the remake had mega evolutions.

D

Deleted member 246005

I wouldn't know, I've never played the Bayonetta games, but what I mean is it takes away the mystery in fiction, like Marvel's What if, like what if Agent Carter was injected with the serum instead of Steve Rogers, we didn't need to have the answer to that, questions like that belong in fanfiction, it probably ruined someone's fanfiction now that I think about it.
It's just an example so use whatever franchise you want. My point is you don't have to engage if you don't want.

Ultimately every storytelling trope is gonna be poorly used eventually. That doesn't mean good stories won't be written. Some will just be better than others.

For example, KH stumbles with Time Travel but I'm not gonna stop watching time travel movies because of it.

Plus I don't take some series like Marvel that seriously. The comics are pretty inconsistent and the movies are a very loose take on them. They are their own thing so I just take it in that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaderskywalker

Awards
You're doing the vague thread title thing again.
Sorry, I really didn't know how to name this, you know how, for example, most people say something sounds better in their head but then they say it out loud, and to them doesn't sound as good? well for me if something doesn't sound good in my head or out loud, I'm not going to say it, (or type it in this case), anything I tried to come up with didn't sound as good, this was the best option I could think of, but if your open to suggestions, I'm all ears (or eyes).
Ultimately every storytelling trope is gonna be poorly used eventually. That doesn't mean good stories won't be written. Some will just be better than others.
It's not about the story telling, it's about how overused this concept is.

vaderskywalker

Awards
think a good title would've been "I'm tired of the multiverse trope" or something lol.
Actually, the title is supposed to be in the form of a question asking how other people feel about the subject, but thank you anyway, and the reason I did your post out of order is because I wasn't thinking about it, sorry about that.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Nah, you're all good. Vague titles aren't a harmful thing, but always nice to be specific.

Back