• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Boss Rankings

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
What's your personal ranking of the final bosses in the series? My list is:

1. Xemnas (KH2) — Probably don't need to explain myself on this one. Epic set pieces, epic music, epic progression, epic combat. Probably the most perfect final boss sequence in any game I've ever played. 'Nuf said.

2. Master Xehanort (KH3) – Underrated final fight imo. Hardest fight in the base game besides Dark Inferno (not saying much i know but yeah), beautiful locations, nice thematic tie-ins to the series (fighting on land, sea, and sky, fighting all thirteen replicas, trinity callback, etc.), and genuinely satisfying from a narrative perspective. Would have liked a giant phase to fit in with the first two main titles, but it still feels right without it.

2.5. The Data Org and Yozora (KH3 Limit Cut/Secret Episode) – Yeah, I'm doing DLC final fights too, why not? Immaculately designed fights, all of them. Yozora's battle was the most hyped the series has made me for an unknown character and for the future of the series since Lingering Will. Only complaint is that it sucks that Nomura locked main story content behind a gauntlet of superbosses. That's pretty petty. I know people can just look up cutscenes on Youtube, but I feel pity in my heart for people who spend years knocking their heads against a wall trying to beat all these guys just to progress the story on their own.

3. Ansem (KH1) – The classic. The end of the beginning. Blew my mind as a kid when I played it. Never finished a game before KH1, so going through the onslaught of bosses and the gigantic World of Chaos multi-battle was just peak hype at age 6. Only criticisms are the combat for WoC is kinda weak, and the transition from the second Ansem battle to the first WoC battle in the Void feels totally incongruous, like there were phases cut out in between (which, as anyone who's read some of Nomura's KH1 Ultimania interviews will know, is actually true).

3.5. Armored Xehanort (KH3 ReMIND) – You get to play as Kairi. That's pretty neat. And not a bad fight either.

4. Young Xehanort (DDD) (yes, I know he's not the actual final boss, just let me pretend for a bit) – I actually really liked the time stop mechanic. It provided a nice switch-up from the usual bosses, and it was nice fighting a version of this character that wasn't bullshit (*cough*MF*cough*). And he feels more like the final boss than the actual one (which is actually a weirdly re-occurring pattern in this franchise).

5. Xion (Days) (yes, I'm doing it again, just let me, we all know this fight is the de facto final boss anyway) – Need I say anything? Maybe not the most mechanically engaging final fight in the series, but damn if the emotional weight of that fight isn't etched in every KH fan's memory.

6. Marluxia (CoM) – Probably the only giant final boss outside of the main numbered games (not counting Xion of course). While I'm not the biggest fan of the card mechanics, I will say Marluxia's fight had the best music in the game and he was the coolest Org member to fight at that point. I really like the extra phase they added in ReCOM, especially with the added lore context we have for it now. It feels funny to look back on a time before KH2 when Marluxia was the biggest threat we knew of in the Organization.

7. Demon Tide (0.2) – I'll admit, my appreciation for this fight wore off after having to fight him so many times in KH3, but for a first time experience, it was pretty intense. Nothing like that sudden mid-fight phase switch with the skies turning red and the music drop. Top quality fight for what was basically a glorified tech demo.

8. Terra-Xehanort and Vanitas/Ventus-Vanitas and I guess Dark Hide 'cause why not (BBS, all sub-stories plus final episode) – I'm lumping all the final fights of BBS into one spot because I think they all share pretty similar pros and cons. Narratively speaking, they're great final fights. They all carry a lot of emotional weight and a healthy dose of nostalgia for the earlier games. But I think we can all agree, the fights are pretty janky. Especially Terra-Xehanort. Easily the most frustratingly designed main story boss in the entire series for me. Just a little too much BS for me to really love them like a lot of people do.

9. Riku (Days), Ansem (CoM), and Data-Roxas (Re coded) – Putting em all together here 'cause they all feel similar—cheaper reused versions of bosses that were much better in other games. Not much new mechanically to them, in fact a lot gets taken away and stripped down. No interesting phase changes, nothing to really switch it up on you.

10. Master Xehanort (MoM) – Idk. I mean, it's a fairly challenging song. Should I even count this as a final boss? Whatever.

11. Ephemer and Skuld (UX) – These guys get one spot above last purely for emotional value. Anyone who's read any of my takes on the mobile games knows I detest them with the blazing passionate fury of a trillion collapsing neutron stars. No real combat value to speak of. Hate the artstyle. Location is pretty lame for a final fight to a game that took almost ten years to complete. But decent emotional weight.

12. Hringhorn (Dark Road) – Everything I said about the UX fight minus the good stuff. We didn't even get to fight Baldr straight up. I actually think I might dislike the combat in DR more than UX tbh.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Most of this I can agree with. I think I'd put Data-Roxas higher than Days Riku on the merits of being a better overall fight (why was Riku such a pushover in Days?) & also being the only official way to fight Roxas in NA until 2.5 came out. I also think Sora's heartless from Coded should be included on the same grounds as Xion & YX: the spiritual true final boss of it's game.

I wonder if ML will suffer the same fate of a lackluster final boss as UX & DR did.

AR829038

Awards
I also think Sora's heartless from Coded should be included on the same grounds as Xion & YX: the spiritual true final boss of it's game.
Ah, true, true. I would put the Sora's Heartless fight probably above Demon Tide but below Marluxia.

I wonder if ML will suffer the same fate of a lackluster final boss as UX & DR did.
Probably. I mean, the gameplay looks better and the art style is a massive improvement, but I just don't see a mobile game built around RNG-based mechanics having satisfying enough combat to where the final boss would be super-fun. Maybe the story beats and the atmosphere will be enough to make me overlook the gameplay if it's lacking.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
KH1 Ansem is my favorite purely for nostalgic reasons, but also because of how long it is. I know that's a disadvantage to many people, but I love the many stages you have to go through before permanently beating Ansem.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I can't speak to the DLC / Re-Mind stuff or mobile games. Aside from those, the ones that left a positive impression on me:

1. Young Xehanort (3D)
2. Master Xehanort (3)
3. Xion (Days)

Generally the final bosses feel like a slog to get to the ending cutscenes more than anything else, they're seldom the best boss fights in the game for me. I do like some of the "stages" themselves though, like fighting Ansem SOD in 1 in the first couple of battles on the corrupted Destiny Islands, for example.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
While I think Ansem and Xemnas both have higher highs than Xehanort, I gotta give it up to the old coot. Yes, Ansem's 1v1 against Sora is some of the most fun you can have in KH1, and Sora & Riku vs Zebraman is peak fiction, but both of these amazing fights are buried among bad minigames, bad side-objectives, and phases that are more gimmicky than fun.

KH3 Xehanort on the other hand? You just fight him lmao. If you want to be generous, you can tack on the fight that precedes the final boss rush (since completing it teleports you to the final area), and we're left with
- The Nort Court (peak moment of KH3)
- Xehanort Replicas (conceptually cool, good battlefield, undercooked mechanics)
- Goat Xehanort (not my favorite fight, but aside from the underwater portion it is just straight-up traditional KH combat)
- Final Nort (actually super fun once you learn all the tricks, and the DM phase is the best in the series)

I never feel like I'm bored or waiting for the actual game to start when I'm fighting the final bosses of KH3, and I can't say the same for its sister titles.

JerryThompson

Awards
What's your personal ranking of the final bosses in the series? My list is:

1. Xemnas (KH2) — Probably don't need to explain myself on this one. Epic set pieces, epic music, epic progression, epic combat. Probably the most perfect final boss sequence in any game I've ever played. 'Nuf said.

2. Master Xehanort (KH3) – Underrated final fight imo. Hardest fight in the base game besides Dark Inferno (not saying much i know but yeah), beautiful locations, nice thematic tie-ins to the series (fighting on land, sea, and sky, fighting all thirteen replicas, trinity callback, etc.), and genuinely satisfying from a narrative perspective. Would have liked a giant phase to fit in with the first two main titles, but it still feels right without it.

2.5. The Data Org and Yozora (KH3 Limit Cut/Secret Episode) – Yeah, I'm doing DLC final fights too, why not? Immaculately designed fights, all of them. Yozora's battle was the most hyped the series has made me for an unknown character and for the future of the series since Lingering Will. Only complaint is that it sucks that Nomura locked main story content behind a gauntlet of superbosses. That's pretty petty. I know people can just look up cutscenes on Youtube, but I feel pity in my heart for people who spend years knocking their heads against a wall trying to beat all these guys just to progress the story on their own.

3. Ansem (KH1) – The classic. The end of the beginning. Blew my mind as a kid when I played it. Never finished a game before KH1, so going through the onslaught of bosses and the gigantic World of Chaos multi-battle was just peak hype at age 6. Only criticisms are the combat for WoC is kinda weak, and the transition from the second Ansem battle to the first WoC battle in the Void feels totally incongruous, like there were phases cut out in between (which, as anyone who's read some of Nomura's KH1 Ultimania interviews will know, is actually true).

3.5. Armored Xehanort (KH3 ReMIND) – You get to play as Kairi. That's pretty neat. And not a bad fight either.

4. Young Xehanort (DDD) (yes, I know he's not the actual final boss, just let me pretend for a bit) – I actually really liked the time stop mechanic. It provided a nice switch-up from the usual bosses, and it was nice fighting a version of this character that wasn't bullshit (*cough*MF*cough*). And he feels more like the final boss than the actual one (which is actually a weirdly re-occurring pattern in this franchise).

5. Xion (Days) (yes, I'm doing it again, just let me, we all know this fight is the de facto final boss anyway) – Need I say anything? Maybe not the most mechanically engaging final fight in the series, but damn if the emotional weight of that fight isn't etched in every KH fan's memory.

6. Marluxia (CoM) – Probably the only giant final boss outside of the main numbered games (not counting Xion of course). While I'm not the biggest fan of the card mechanics, I will say Marluxia's fight had the best music in the game and he was the coolest Org member to fight at that point. I really like the extra phase they added in ReCOM, especially with the added lore context we have for it now. It feels funny to look back on a time before KH2 when Marluxia was the biggest threat we knew of in the Organization.

7. Demon Tide (0.2) – I'll admit, my appreciation for this fight wore off after having to fight him so many times in KH3, but for a first time experience, it was pretty intense. Nothing like that sudden mid-fight phase switch with the skies turning red and the music drop. Top quality fight for what was basically a glorified tech demo.

8. Terra-Xehanort and Vanitas/Ventus-Vanitas and I guess Dark Hide 'cause why not (BBS, all sub-stories plus final episode) – I'm lumping all the final fights of BBS into one spot because I think they all share pretty similar pros and cons. Narratively speaking, they're great final fights. They all carry a lot of emotional weight and a healthy dose of nostalgia for the earlier games. But I think we can all agree, the fights are pretty janky. Especially Terra-Xehanort. Easily the most frustratingly designed main story boss in the entire series for me. Just a little too much BS for me to really love them like a lot of people do.

9. Riku (Days), Ansem (CoM), and Data-Roxas (Re coded) – Putting em all together here 'cause they all feel similar—cheaper reused versions of bosses that were much better in other games. Not much new mechanically to them, in fact a lot gets taken away and stripped down. No interesting phase changes, nothing to really switch it up on you.

10. Master Xehanort (MoM) – Idk. I mean, it's a fairly challenging song. Should I even count this as a final boss? Whatever.

11. Ephemer and Skuld (UX) – These guys get one spot above last purely for emotional value pizza tower. Anyone who's read any of my takes on the mobile games knows I detest them with the blazing passionate fury of a trillion collapsing neutron stars. No real combat value to speak of. Hate the artstyle. Location is pretty lame for a final fight to a game that took almost ten years to complete. But decent emotional weight.

12. Hringhorn (Dark Road) – Everything I said about the UX fight minus the good stuff. We didn't even get to fight Baldr straight up. I actually think I might dislike the combat in DR more than UX tbh.
In my opinion, Armored Xehanort is the best. Then,
1. Xemnas
2. The Data Org and Yozora
3. Young Xehanort
4. Xion (Days)
5. Marluxia (CoM)
6. Terra-Xehanort and Vanitas/Ventus
7. Demon Tide

Back