• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Versus XIII Leaks could hint to Verum Rex

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
When Final Fantasy XV got released in 2017, people were shocked that it was nothing like Versus XIII trailers. Actually not a single frame of any trailer released before 2017 is part of the main game. Naturally, some rumors started to appear related to the story who got completely rewritten when Nomura got replaced and they were running out of time.
Among some rumors, I remember reading a thread about an unconfirmed leak that was explaining what the story of Versus XIII was about. And of course, I thought that it would be interesting to put it in perspective with Verum Rex and how it relates to Sora.

Of course, none of it is official, probably false, but still, let's have some fun reviewing those key plots.

Spoiler warning for a game that never existed: VersusXIII

- Stella was supposed to appear only to Noctis. She was supposed to be a ghost which visited Noctis from the afterlife. The crystal commanded Noctis to kill her when they were children.
- The brother of Stella was named Lupus Nox Fleuret and was supposed to be another chosen from the crystal.
- Prompto and Gladio were supposed to betray Noctis.
- The story was supposed to explore the world of dreams. Not sure what this means except that Noctis had issues understanding what is real and what is a dream. That was the main focus of the story and Nomura favorite plot element. My guess is that this concept will be reused in Verum Rex (actually it is already reused).

Did you hear other rumors like that? What do you think about it?

Somnus cealum

Awards
When Final Fantasy XV got released in 2017, people were shocked that it was nothing like Versus XIII trailers. Actually not a single frame of any trailer released before 2017 is part of the main game. Naturally, some rumors started to appear related to the story who got completely rewritten when Nomura got replaced and they were running out of time.
Among some rumors, I remember reading a thread about an unconfirmed leak that was explaining what the story of Versus XIII was about. And of course, I thought that it would be interesting to put it in perspective with Verum Rex and how it relates to Sora.

Of course, none of it is official, probably false, but still, let's have some fun reviewing those key plots.

- Stella was supposed to appear only to Noctis. She was supposed to be a ghost which visited Noctis from the afterlife. The crystal commanded Noctis to kill her when they were children.
- The brother of Stella was named Lupus Nox Fleuret and was supposed to be another chosen from the crystal.
- The story was supposed to explore the world of dreams. Not sure what this means except that Noctis had issues understanding what is real and what is a dream. That was the main focus of the story and Nomura favorite plot element. My guess is that this concept will be reused in Verum Rex (actually it is already reused).

OMG thats cool, i would love that to be reused for kh

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Let’s see what I can remember…

If I remember correctly, there was a blond boss. His name is sort of a tribute to Sephiroth, who was the most well-known Final Fantasy villain. I believe it was Safay?

Stella was definitely dead all along, from the hearsay that was going around, so the leak is corroborative there.

Les Miserables…Bad idea.

I heard a lot of things, but I don’t know which ones are true or false. Unfortunately, there was a lot of misinforming on both sides, those who are Nomura fanboys and embellished/made-up things like their personal wet dream of a video game, and die-hard XV fans who practically circle-jerked their hater attitude towards the previous Versus version and also made stuff up while telling the Nomura fanboys to “get over it.” It’s all such a headache.

Last edited:

okhi12

Awards
That was the same leak which said Versus 13 would be divided in several parts as individual games like FF7R, right?
I vaguely remember something about Clarus Amicitia (Gladio's dad) being a traitor as well, the one who killed Regis, and was supposed to be the final boss of the first or second game.

I don't believe it's credible, but I partially liked it. Maybe more than the FFXV we got.

AegisXIII

Awards
What is interesting is this notion of world of dreams, which if I am not mistaken, happened in the Dawn to the Future novel which expanded on the story of 15. I think in this novel noctis dreamed of the Versus13 timeline.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
What is interesting is this notion of world of dreams, which if I am not mistaken, happened in the Dawn to the Future novel which expanded on the story of 15. I think in this novel noctis dreamed of the Versus13 timeline.
He did? Where? I think I must’ve missed a couple of pages from speed-reading that thing then. I didn’t like it, but I certainly didn’t hate it enough either to skim over the boring details.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
That was the same leak which said Versus 13 would be divided in several parts as individual games like FF7R, right?
Yes and no. The FINAL FANTASY VII Remake project is being released in several episodes because the expansion of the original game's story is so big that it needs to be retold in several releases.

According to rumors/"leaks", Versus XIII was to be a trilogy project, meaning that, from the get-go, it was a story to be told spanning three games.

okhi12

Awards
Yes and no. The FINAL FANTASY VII Remake project is being released in several episodes because the expansion of the original game's story is so big that it needs to be retold in several releases.

According to rumors/"leaks", Versus XIII was to be a trilogy project, meaning that, from the get-go, it was a story to be told spanning three games.
Well, technically FF7R was also decided from the get-go (early in development) to be told spanning several games, precisely because they wanted to expand the original story, and that's why I compared them. The only difference is that Versus was an original concept and 7R is a remake, but I think that's irrelevant for the comparison, though I understand why you brought this up.
At first I was going to compare Versus to the FFXIII trilogy, but I'm not sure if they had FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns in mind when they developed the first game or they were a consequence of the first game's success, because the ending of FFXIII provided enough closure to the story and it wasn't obvious that it would be continued, so I thought FF7R was a better example.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The only difference is that Versus was an original concept and 7R is a remake,
The difference is also that Versus was, per rumors/"leaks", three parts, while 7R "is not finalized" (how many parts):

Yoshinori Kitase said:
...but we haven’t decided exactly [how many parts], nor can we confirm anything,.There’s speculation that it will be three parts, but we’re just doing things one step at a time.

Anyways, I don't think Verum Rex will be a story told through numerous games. Even assuming it ends up being a game, I presume we'll first take a glimpse of the Verum world in the next KH and then we might see a Yozora game.

And if it happens, it'll be a PS5 game.

Chie

Awards
Wow, that game sounds awesome. I wasn't in the know when Versus XIII was a thing, but that leak checks out from what we're seeing now.

Bloodblade777-2

Another thing in Versus XIII was that Insomnia, Noctis' city, was supposed to worship grim reapers and Etro the goddess of death. Remember in KH3 how Sora chases a grim reaper looking heartless into the deepest darkest abyss while using the power of waking to try and save his friends from death. Also yes the main theme of Versus was "This is a fantasy based on reality", "fantasy vs. reality" and "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - and when we meet Yozora he claims that the final world he is in with Sora is "not the real world". Noctis' personality in Versus was also described in a magazine interview as quiet and collected, but had an arrogant side that came out sometimes (Yozora - "Sorry, but I don't lose")

AegisXIII

Awards
Another thing in Versus XIII was that Insomnia, Noctis' city, was supposed to worship grim reapers and Etro the goddess of death. Remember in KH3 how Sora chases a grim reaper looking heartless into the deepest darkest abyss while using the power of waking to try and save his friends from death. Also yes the main theme of Versus was "This is a fantasy based on reality", "fantasy vs. reality" and "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - and when we meet Yozora he claims that the final world he is in with Sora is "not the real world". Noctis' personality in Versus was also described in a magazine interview as quiet and collected, but had an arrogant side that came out sometimes (Yozora - "Sorry, but I don't lose")
I really like your theory.
For sure yozora is VersusXIII Noctis;
-the eyes
-the shot where he sleeps in his car which confirms the world of dream theory
-nameless star who seems to be dead

I wonder if they will redo the shot of him escaping the Citadelle. Is there such thing as a Citadelle?

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I wonder if they will redo the shot of him escaping the Citadelle. Is there such thing as a Citadelle?
Well, the secret ending had the Toucho in it, so it's definitely there, but I don't think any royalty would live in it. If TWEWY and KH Shibuya/Shinjuku is more of a mirror of the real-life Japan than XV's Insomnia, the ruling family would live in the Koukyo, in Chiyoda than anywhere in Shibuya or Shinjuku. The Toucho is where the governor would work instead. Since it's a fantasy and sci-fi hybrid video game, whoever is in that version of the Toucho could range from anything from a chancellor or regent to, say, a commander?

AegisXIII

Awards
Well, the secret ending had the Toucho in it, so it's definitely there, but I don't think any royalty would live in it. If TWEWY and KH Shibuya/Shinjuku is more of a mirror of the real-life Japan than XV's Insomnia, the ruling family would live in the Koukyo, in Chiyoda than anywhere in Shibuya or Shinjuku. The Toucho is where the governor would work instead. Since it's a fantasy and sci-fi hybrid video game, whoever is in that version of the Toucho could range from anything from a chancellor or regent to, say, a commander?
There might not be a notion of royalty, but you are right, Yozora is stilled called Commander by Dr Lou (yeah that's how I call Luxord somebody).

Chie

Awards
About people saying the driver is Luxord - do we know if he shares a JP actor with Luxord? Is it possible to tell? (Since he isn't credited I don't think.) I ask because it's possible they just used Robin Atkin Downes for him because he was in the studio to record new Luxord lines anyway, he's doing a different voice as the driver.

AegisXIII

Awards
About people saying the driver is Luxord - do we know if he shares a JP actor with Luxord? Is it possible to tell? (Since he isn't credited I don't think.) I ask because it's possible they just used Robin Atkin Downes for him because he was in the studio to record new Luxord lines anyway, he's doing a different voice as the driver.
Same hair, same way of speaking? They would never do something like that if it wasn't some sort of reveal. Otherwise this ending has no meaning.

Chie

Awards
Yeah I'm looking at it again and it does look like him more than I remember. I remember his hair being darker but that's just the lighting now that I look closely. RAD is definitely doing a different voice, though. Normal Luxord has way more of a put-on fancy accent than bus driver.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
To my understanding, both Japanese and English voice actors of Luxord coincide with that of the driver's.

Back