• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Star Wars: This is the way

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hi, I’m here to make you all mad on a Wednesday morning/afternoon with a topic we all don’t want to talk about but are going to anyways because you’ll have to confront it in a year or whenever anyways.

Star Wars. The thing everybody and nobody wanted. It’s happening. We have to live with that fact.

What do you want from it? Are you hoping for a retelling of Return of the Jedi? Or something that is an original story in between films? Away from the Skywalker Saga? Sora crashing into Rey during The Rise of Skywalker? Sora meeting Grogu and going on an adventure with Mando? High Republic? The rumored stories that will take place beyond the Rim?

Please, throw your thoughts out there. We all need to come together as a people and bare our hearts out. Pass the rhetorical hammer around and speak the way.

Or idk you can complain about how much you hate that we are getting SW. I don’t care. Let’s just chat!

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Something in the aftermath of ROTJ could be cool, although it might mean we miss out on Vader/Palpatine fights. With the AT-ST seen in the trailer, likely on Endor and possibly abandoned for some time, I could see that being the general time period.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lucasfilm wants it be its own story similar to Toy Box and San Fransokyo vs. having the KH characters woven into an existing plot.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Something in the aftermath of ROTJ could be cool, although it might mean we miss out on Vader/Palpatine fights. With the AT-ST seen in the trailer, likely on Endor and possibly abandoned for some time, I could see that being the general time period.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lucasfilm wants it be its own story similar to Toy Box and San Fransokyo vs. having the KH characters woven into an existing plot.
Personally I’ve found Vader fights to be a mixed bag both in video games and in canon films/shows. I’m sure the KH team could make something awesome but I’d rather see them do something with other characters.

Or even go the Visions route and have something very fresh.

Chie

Awards
it really should only involve the original trilogy because those are the films that Squaresoft was heavily, heavily inspired by, which is the thematic reason for star wars to be here in quadratum at all

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I seem to be the only one on this board that genuinely wanted SW. :( Ya'll a bunch of no fun allowed buzzkills.

My hot take is they should've gone with Phantom Menace for the "world". It had a larger variety of locations than any of the OT films and Maul better fits the fast paced combat of KH. You'd still get a space battle plus a pod race mini-game to boot.

Also, if Wasteland from EM were ever to be a world, it'd be kinda hilarious id Legends characters like the original Solo children were there.

A little late for that:

Personally I’ve found Vader fights to be a mixed bag both in video games and in canon films/shows. I’m sure the KH team could make something awesome but I’d rather see them do something with other characters.

Or even go the Visions route and have something very fresh.

Vader does kinda lean more towards the slow, methodical, & imposing style. He'd have been perfect in KH1's combat system. Then again, in RotJ it's suppose to be a personal duel between father & son so maybe Sora doesn't even bother getting involved & goes after Sidious instead.

palpatine-vs-maul-palpatine.gif

Who's surprisingly the more agile of the 2 sith lords.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I seem to be the only one on this board that genuinely wanted SW. :( Ya'll a bunch of no fun allowed buzzkills.

My hot take is they should've gone with Phantom Menace for the "world". It had a larger variety of locations than any of the OT films and Maul better fits the fast paced combat of KH. You'd still get a space battle plus a pod race mini-game to boot.

Also, if Wasteland from EM were ever to be a world, it'd be kinda hilarious id Legends characters like the original Solo children were there.

A little late for that:

Vader does kinda lean more towards the slow, methodical, & imposing style. He'd have been perfect in KH1's combat system. Then again, in RotJ it's suppose to be a personal duel between father & son so maybe Sora doesn't even bother getting involved & goes after Sidious instead.

palpatine-vs-maul-palpatine.gif

Who's surprisingly the more agile of the 2 sith lords.
I didn’t want SW before but once it was clearly happening in KH4, I got over it really fast. Especially with the fact that it is happening in Quadratum where the franchise rules essentially don’t apply, it makes it the perfect sandbox for blending and mixing concepts.

I’m very excited for it because the potential is endless. They could really focus on anything they’d from the SW timeline.

Lol I don’t expect Legends things to get referenced unless it is something that has been explicitly brought over into the new canon. It always feels like Legends is such a particular sore spot for LF. They are happy to pick and choose what they want from it, but get really weird when fans ask for acknowledgement of other aspects of it.

You’d think with Visions, they’d be over that concern. At this point in time nobody except the most devout can keep on top of the canon, so might as well be fine with everything be it Legends or canon or everything in between.

OKAY! Rant over on that!

TPM would be fun. Adding Sora to the storyline would add an extra layer of fun to it. Sidestep what didn’t work in that film…keep the best parts.

God damn that Palp vs Maul fight 😳

Maybe we should go Clone War era…or even Rebels era…but they wouldn’t let SE touch that when the new Ahsoka show is happening.

Soldier

Awards
I'll level with all of you: I don't like Star Wars, and in my honest to god opinion the best one is the holiday special SIMPLY for the fact that it has very little to do with Star Wars at all, and is mostly just Wookie roars and crappy effects. Yes, I am aware that I made many enemies this day, and that what I said will piss a lot of people off, but I don't care.
At some point you need to find a hill to die on, and this is my goddamn hill.

That being said, Star Wars annoys me LESS than Frozen does, and if I had the choice between Arendelle returning and wasting a world slot, or going to (insert Star Wars world here), I'd pick Star Wars any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I didn’t want SW before but once it was clearly happening in KH4, I got over it really fast. Especially with the fact that it is happening in Quadratum where the franchise rules essentially don’t apply, it makes it the perfect sandbox for blending and mixing concepts.
If it is the Verum Rex 'verse that KH4's Disney worlds are in that is. While it may be a long shot, if the idea with Quadratum is to make it seem like Sora got transported into a wholly different RPG franchise's universe that operates on it's rules, then it may not have other worlds, let alone Disney owned ones, because that's explicitly KH's thing. In which case, KH4's other worlds are instead within the usual Realm of Light. Possibly explored by a Kairi/Donald/Goofy party.

Granted, I'm not exactly betting on that theory, especially when it looks like they're setting Donald & Goofy up to be conveniently sent VRside because Walt forbid we go 1 mainline entry without the SDG party.

Chie

Awards
When the trailer that had the Endor stuff was shown, Nomura specified that everything from the beginning to the end of the city bits was in Quadratum. This includes the scenes that people say are Endor. I think people don't remember this.

There might not be a Star Wars world per se, just Star Wars elements, or every "world" in KH4 is technically a different part of Quadratum. But that scene is in Quadratum.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I am genuinely excited to see what they do with it, but one of my concerns is that the video game market is already heavily saturated with Star Wars content. One of the elements of the KH series that makes it special is that it has allowed us to play in worlds of films that were unlikely to ever have full scale AAA games dedicated to them. Getting to play in those sandboxes was a unique experience. For Star Wars, there’s no shortage of games to play in that universe.

To make Star Wars in KH really stand out from existing games, I would love if we could get Nomura’s own Star Wars AU where anything can happen and he could use his own SW character designs. Make it essentially a “What If Star Wars took place in the Final Fantasy universe?” Then we could see this guy:

3DC8E92B-89A4-4A12-A484-99C9EBBA840D.jpeg

I know it’s so unlikely to happen and could end up being terrible, but I would appreciate the creative risk. And it would fit with the theme of Quadratum being an alternate reality.

When the trailer that had the Endor stuff was shown, Nomura specified that everything from the beginning to the end of the city bits was in Quadratum. This includes the scenes that people say are Endor. I think people don't remember this.

There might not be a Star Wars world per se, just Star Wars elements, or every "world" in KH4 is technically a different part of Quadratum. But that scene is in Quadratum.

I wouldn’t necessarily take that as hard confirmation that the forest is part of Quadratum and not a separate world. If we take that comment literally, we have to say Scala ad Caelum is also in Quadratum because there’s a shot of that world too. I think he was likely just referring to the section from when we see Sora. The previous shots were only intended to show off the game’s graphical fidelity and weren’t meant to be a world reveal.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Going with the popular assumption that we're going with ROTJ, I wonder if Stormtroopers will be present in combat, or if they'll be replaced by the Heartless. They are kinda just.. dudes. Like, the kinda dudes that don't go *poof* when they're defeated. It'll be fun to square up against an AT-ST, showing the difference between Sora and your common rebel soldier. Where the soldiers run and hide, Sora will probably just run up and start wailing on it with the Keyblade.

It'd be an utter shame not to put Palpatine on the same level of universal awareness as Maleficent. There's no way that old motherfucker doesn't know what a Keyblade is, or what Kingdom Hearts is. Again, like Triton, CLU, and Tia Dalma before, this doesn't have to manifest in anything actually important for the story, it's just nice to let certain characters flex some wider knowledge to make the universe feel more cohesive.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Going with the popular assumption that we're going with ROTJ, I wonder if Stormtroopers will be present in combat, or if they'll be replaced by the Heartless. They are kinda just.. dudes. Like, the kinda dudes that don't go *poof* when they're defeated. It'll be fun to square up against an AT-ST, showing the difference between Sora and your common rebel soldier. Where the soldiers run and hide, Sora will probably just run up and start wailing on it with the Keyblade.

It'd be an utter shame not to put Palpatine on the same level of universal awareness as Maleficent. There's no way that old motherfucker doesn't know what a Keyblade is, or what Kingdom Hearts is. Again, like Triton, CLU, and Tia Dalma before, this doesn't have to manifest in anything actually important for the story, it's just nice to let certain characters flex some wider knowledge to make the universe feel more cohesive.
Storm Troopers are kinda too iconic to not be present, but yeah there is a question of how they'll despawn. They fall backwards into bushes or something.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I just want to know if Sora will become an alien or not. I know the SW universe has a substantial human population, but I think it would be fun if Sora became one of the numerous aliens species in the franchise.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I just want to know if Sora will become an alien or not. I know the SW universe has a substantial human population, but I think it would be fun if Sora became one of the numerous aliens species in the franchise.
Tbh, I feel like the best way to advertise SW in KH is to just show Sora as he is, juxtaposed to a bunch of SW characters. The dream scenario is just him, Goofy, and Donald wearing rebel armor without helmets.

Keyblade Knight 1st Class

Awards
In my opinion, the animated series would be the best way to go. Between The Clone Wars and Rebels the amount of potential party members and boss fights is ridiculous. Fighting alongside the likes of Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, Yoda, Ezra Bridger and Kanan Jarrus would be great, while Darth Sidious, Count Dooku, General Grievous, Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Asajj Ventless, Darth Vader, The Grand Inquisitor as well as the other Inquisitors would all be awesome boss fights. And that's not even mentioning the storytelling possibilities. Whether they adapted a popular story arc from the shows, or came up with an original plot that played out like a lost episode, there's near endless potential. Of course my personal preference would be to just use the characters without the worlds (like Final Fantasy) because there's just too many to choose from, but that's probably just me

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hope it's a self-contained world (I know there's still some question about how KHIV will work as far as use of properties go). As far as the movies and characters themselves, eh, I never had a strong reaction to SW and little knowledge of its ongoing story details. Hopefully Yoda is the party member and Jabba the Hut appears, those are the only things that really stuck with me from those movies. Oh, or they could make R2D2 (do I have the name right?) a party member somehow, I actually would enjoy that. Yeah, I do remember I liked the two robots. It was most of the human characters I didn't care about, tbh.

For what it's worth, I dislike PIXAR and Marvel almost as much as Star Wars, so it's not really a special "hatred" of SW or anything. I like Star Wars more than a lot of PIXAR movies, less than Marvel.

Chie

Awards
I touched on this in my first post, but I'd like to reiterate that I think Star Wars being in KH is extremely justified. Squaresoft has been extensively referencing Star Wars in their RPGs since at least FF2, with many classic FF tropes being traceable to these references, including stuff that has bled over into their other games like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Kingdom Hearts. KH's whole setup can be thought of as a deliberate Star Wars parallel, which is made very explicit in BBS.

I don't really like Star Wars myself, but if we think about the current meta themes of KH that reference the histories of Final Fantasy, Square, and Nomura's creative career, of course it makes perfect sense to include the biggest influence on all of these. It's arguably the most thematically appropriate use of a Disney property since KH1's worlds.

LoneFox

Awards
For me, Star Wars canon consists of the three original movies, plus some early spin-offs like the Ewoks animated series. I have seen the prequels, realized that they suck, understood why this is the case, and concluded that the whole franchise is broken beyond repair. Therefore, I haven't bothered with any of the newer stuff.

Before Quadratum, the problem with Star Wars in KH was that there was no believable way to integrate it into the KH universe. I mean, a galactic empire in gummispace that characters like King Mickey and Master Yen Sid don't know about? How would that be possible? But Quadratum removes the problem, and I think I will be happy to see it done as long as it stays within my idea of the canon as described above. Maybe make some jokes about the sillier aspects of the new stuff (Jar-Jar Binks comes to mind), but no more than that.

As for implementation details, I don't really want to speculate on them, except for one prediction: I think the key point for the KH storyline will be a scene where a character who wears a mask reveals, "Sora, I am your father."

Back