• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Medical Advancements with Blood

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I was just reading the news paper yesterday and noticed that a local hospital is introducing a new program. Blood conservation programs. Now this is nothing new to me, and has been a progressive project in the medical community for years and years, but for many people even many doctors this may be a new concept, or even one hard to grasp.

For decades past, blood transfusions have been used in a lot of major medical procedures. Religious groups that have refused transfusions have played a major role in these developments. Now there are several advancements made giving patients the alternatives rather than a blood transfusion.

A broad view of some alternatives include:

Fluids: Ringer's lactate solution, dextran, hydroxyethyl starch, and others are used to maintain blood volume, preventing hypovolemic shock. Some fluids now being tested can transport oxygen.

Drugs: Genetically engineered proteins can stimulate the production of red blood cells (erythropoietin), blood platelets (interleukin-11), and various white blood cells (GM-CSF, G-CSF). Other medications greatly reduce blood loss during surgery (aprotinin, antifibrinolytics) or help to reduce acute bleeding (desmopressin).

Biological hemostats: Collagen and cellulose woven pads are used to stop bleeding by direct application. Fibrin glues and sealants can plug puncture wounds or cover large areas of bleeding tissue.

Blood salvage: Salvaging machines recover blood that is lost during surgery or trauma. The blood is cleansed and can be returned to the patient in a closed circuit. In extreme cases, liters of blood can be recovered using such a system.

Surgical techniques: Thorough operative planning, including consultation with experienced clinicians, helps the surgical team to avoid complications. Prompt action to stop bleeding is essential. Delays greater than 24 hours can greatly increase patient mortality. Dividing large surgeries into several smaller ones decreases total blood loss.

Surgical tools: Some devices cut and seal blood vessels simultaneously. Other devices can seal bleeding on large areas of tissue. Laparoscopic and minimally invasive instruments allow surgeries to be performed without the blood loss associated with large incisions

A few videos on this topic also:

No Blood--Medicine Meets the Challenge

No Blood--Medicine Meets the Challenge Pt. 2

Transfusion-Alternative Health Care--Meeting Patient Needs and Rights

What do you think about this? Would it be something you would do instead of the transfusions?

Im sure there are many other articles on this you can find. So if you would like, I would like to hear opinions on this new advancement.

(please note that just because I did get these videos and some information a lot from a religious source do not turn this into a religious topic. This is purely about medicine and medical practices. If this was meant to be a religious debate I know where it would go. So for those of you who have a habit of doing things like that just because of some grudge, please do not)

Last edited:

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
If i could get a transfusion i would go for that, because the real thing is better than any substitute.

On a side note I read an article a while back stating that Hispanics have a high likelyhood of having type O+ blood, the kind anyone can use. My Dad has it, and I think have it but i'm not sure. My dad is Puerto Rican btw.

But anyways I think its great that science is coming up with alternatives incase they get a shortage of blood.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Well its not only for a shortage of blood but also because of the many risks that come with blood transfusions.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Remember those times when a blood transfusion was the only way to save a minor, and he died because the parents refused? That there are alternatives is good thing. Less children die for their parent's decision.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I think im going to go to the presentation at the hospital just to see what they would say about the program. This hospital used to be one of the hospitals that refused to take patients that would not accept blood transfusions but now they are with the whole program.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I've noticed, though, that the really fantastic ones (fluids that can transport oxygen) are still being tested. So there are still cases in which blood transfusion is the difference between life and death.

Samber

As a metter of fact I had a friend that donated blood yesterday; he said he almost died!

He said he began feeling light headed and started throwing up, the nurses said not to close his eyes. Then when they took out the needle he began to bleed profusely.

It sounded scary, but even so once im old enough im still gonna give blood.

Samber

Decided to post this here too:

All people belong to one of four inherited blood groups: A, B, AB, and O. The letters A and B refer to the kind of antigen found on an individual's red blood cells. An antigen is a protein on the cell which triggers an immune response, such as the formation of antibodies, against the antigens which the red cell lacks. For example, a group A individual, when exposed to B antigens, will produce anti-B antibodies.

You inherit your blood group from your biological parents.

Group A Blood has A antigen on red cells, and anti-B antibody in its plasma.

Group B Blood has B antigen on red cells, and anti-A antibody in its plasma.

Group AB Blood has both A and B antigens on red cells but neither anti-A antibody nor anti B antibody in its plasma. AB blood cannot cause the clumping of red cells of any other groups, and therefore persons with AB blood are called universal recipients.

Group O Blood has neither A nor B antigens on red cells, and both anti-A antibody and anti-B antibody in the plasma. Group O blood cannot be clumped by any human blood, and therefore persons with Group O are called universal donors.

Most people also have an inherited condition of the red blood cells known as the Rh factor, or antigen D. When the D antigen is present, a person's blood type is designated Rh positive. When antigen D is missing, the blood type is classified Rh negative. In general, Rh negative blood is given to Rh negative patients and Rh positive blood to Rh positive patients.

O + 40%
O - 7%
A + 32%
A - 5%
B + 11%
B - 1.5%
AB + 3%
AB - .05%

Blood types between ethnic groups

Approximately 60 to 70 percent of the Hispanic population represent Type O blood -- the blood type in greatest demand. Only about 45 percent of other ethnic groups are Type O. As our Hispanic population continues to increase, so does the need for Type O blood. Unless we have more Hispanic donors, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to meet this need.

Seasonal shortages of types O and B blood are common because they are in great demand. Many African-Americans have types O and B blood. Nearly 20% of all African-Americans have type B blood, compared to 11% of the Caucasian population. Blood type, like eye color, is an inherited trait. Some African-Americans have rare blood types that are unique to their ethnic group.

Link---> American Red Cross

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Seasonal shortages of types O and B blood are common because they are in great demand. Many African-Americans have types O and B blood. Nearly 20% of all African-Americans have type B blood, compared to 11% of the Caucasian population. Blood type, like eye color, is an inherited trait. Some African-Americans have rare blood types that are unique to their ethnic group.

Link---> American Red Cross

Maybe those classified in this group where there are a lot of shortages can look at the alternative medicines too instead of a lot of time I know people will wait untill they have recieved a match. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back