• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Chikao Ohtsuka, voice of Master Xehanort, dies at 85

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Chikao Ohtsuka, better known to Kingdom Hearts fans as Master Xehanort and Captain Hook, has passed away on January 15th 2015 from ischemic heart failure at the age of 85.

Ohtsuka began his career in the 1960s and his first voice acting role was in GeGeGe no Kitaro as Nezumi Otoko. Throughout the years, Ohtsuka has played memorable characters in animated shows, movies, and video games like Jagi in Fist of the North Star, Gold Roger in One Piece, Wario in various Nintendo games, Doctor Eggman in Sonic the Hedgehog, Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa in Final Fantasy XII, and Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

He is survived by his son Akio Ohtsuka, who plays Ansem: Seeker of Darkness/Xehanort's Heartless in Kingdom Hearts.

Source: Yahoo JP, Aoni Production

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
He was one of the best voice actors on the Japanese side. If not globally. I was sadly expecting him to pass away due to his age. Very sad to see him go.

By the way He was replaced in BBS by Naoya Uchida as Captain Hook.

I wonder who they'll get to replace him.

reimeille

Ahh, he was Big Boss from MGS4 and Balthier's father in FF XII... I didn't know his age so this is unexpected for me (I figured he was a bit older but I also didn't know he had health complications).

I had once heard that Hideo Kojima set him up to play Big Boss so he could reconcile with his son Akio (who plays Big Boss's son). I hope that in the years after that, that they were able to spend a lot of time together before he passed. I hope Akio is okay as well.

sonickenshin

Awards
This one hits hard. He was one of the voices that was all over my childhood, specifically Dr. Eggman. I loved his performances in Dragon Ball, Lupin III, One Piece and various others. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to Akio Otsuka and his family.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's so sad. Ohtsuka voiced so many iconic characters throughout the years and was extremely talented and ugh I loved hearing his voice in so many of the shows and games I love...

RIP Chikao Ohtsuka ;~;

Antar

Awards
Ah no! D:
I don't think this is the KH3 news any of us wanted. :(

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I feel terrible that my first thought was "who will they get to replace him?" :(
Rest in Peace Chikao Ohtsuka ;~;

Last edited:

MaxialstarOA

This is such bad news... my condolences to his son Akio ( who plays Ansem in the japanese dub of KH ) and the rest of his family.

He will be missed.

PS : Please someone tell me there's a slightly chance that what Bill Farmer said was true... I hope he did record lines for KHIII. ( I mean, they did record voices for the Opening of KHIII )

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Rest in peace.

I thought I remember something about how the English voice actor for Xehanort had been unwell, too?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
How sad. I loved hearing his voice in the Japanese trailers. Wish he could have finished the saga, but he did amazing breathing life into the role. Whoever's next has big shoes to fill.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Rest in peace.

I thought I remember something about how the English voice actor for Xehanort had been unwell, too?

Leonard Nimoy has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. He's had it for some many years now, but he only revealed it recently last year. He was a smoker back in the 50s-70s until he quit but was left with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back