• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What order should I replay the games in?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatpower

Now that 3D is around the corner I want to catch up on all the games (I've already beaten all of them). Which would be the best replay order? Chronological or Release order?

I was thinking that Release order would be better, except for Days, which I would think would be best if played right after CoM, so it would go like:

KH1
CoM
Days
KH2
BBS

Chronological option would almost be the same except for BBS being played first. What do you guys think? Oh and I didn't include Coded on purpose.

whatpower

Yes but see that's the main issue I'm having, whether to play chrono order or release order ( which essentially equates to whether or not I should play BBS first lol). My gut is telling me NOT to play BBS first but i just wanted to hear opinions.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I would play in release order; I don't think transitioning from BBS gameplay to KH1 gameplay would be a good idea. That, and a lot of the more recent and more relevant series concepts will be in the later titles, so those concepts will stay fresh in your mind longer for DDD.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Yes but see that's the main issue I'm having, whether to play chrono order or release order ( which essentially equates to whether or not I should play BBS first lol). My gut is telling me NOT to play BBS first but i just wanted to hear opinions.
If I had all games I would play in chrono order, but that's just me. It would be intresting to go from BBS to KH1

wrong.

Chronologically. Because playing BBS and following with KH1 will overhaul your appreciation for newer camera-tilt tech and KH2 sucks, so just get it out of the way.

Nayru's Love

Awards
If I had all games I would play in chrono order, but that's just me. It would be intresting to go from BBS to KH1

I can imagine it would be. KH1 can be a noticeably different story when you include BBS in the picture.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
I can imagine it would be. KH1 can be a noticeably different story when you include BBS in the picture.

That's what I was thinking, I don't even own a PS2 anymore. I might steal a friends this Summer and play through every game before DDD.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
playing the games in chronological order would be VERY interesting.
BBS Terra>Ven>Aqua(PSP)
KH1(PS2)
358/2 days up til Axel leaves for CO(Nintendo DS/DS lite/Dsi/DsiXL)
COM/RE:com play both as Sora and Riku(GBA/Ps2)
finish 358/2 days(Nintendo DS/DS lite/Dsi/DsiXL)
KH2(PS2)
REcoded(Nintendo DS/DS lite/Dsi/DsiXL)
Then KH:Dream Drop Distance Wohoo!(Nintendo 3DS)

KH:DDD

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
If I were playing the series for the first time, I would go order of release then if I wanted to replay the series I would play them chronologically to better understand the story. I'm just going to wait until before KH3 to replay all the games.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
I can't bring myself to play the series in a chrono order probably mess with the bit of interest I have left plus going from BBS to KH1 and the COM to Days(if I had it which I don't want it) would be a pain.

KH1 did age well, but after playing games with the camera as the RAS(Right Analog Stick) you'd have to hate using the L2 and R2 buttons again.

axel95

Awards
I'm replaying the games in chronological order, but I am going to play Days right before KH2 because it leads right up to KH2.

Key Wielder

Awards
I've been going back through in chronological order just for the sake of organizing the story in my head. I replay them every year, though, so if you're more interested in making sure you review the more recent games closer to 3D's release, going by release date might be better for you.

Am I the only one that has never been bothered by the camera in KH1?

No, I haven't either. It's pretty much the same as it has been in the rest of the series aside from KH2.

whatpower

Thanks for the feedback. Factors such as the camera or gameplay issues arising from transitioning from BBS > KH1 are not a big deal for me, I'm only concerned over the story-wise factor with regards to whether playing BBS first or last would be a better story experience.

Nayru's Love

Awards
Gameplay aside then (and assuming you're already familiar with each individual story), I would still go with release order. I feel as if each game is meant to build up to its successor (in terms of release date). Game X introduces questions and concepts, Game Y expands on those questions and concepts. In other words, BBS wasn't made to build up to KH1, but its successors (Re:Coded, DDD, KH3).

whatpower

Gameplay aside then (and assuming you're already familiar with each individual story), I would still go with release order. I feel as if each game is meant to build up to its successor (in terms of release date). Game X introduces questions and concepts, Game Y expands on those questions and concepts. In other words, BBS wasn't made to build up to KH1, but its successors (Re:Coded, DDD, KH3).

I feel the same way personally. I don't think playing BBS > KH1 will have those effects that make you go "So this is where that happened and that is where this happens" because even though it's the prequel to KH1 and does answer some KH1 questions, the reverse is what will actually have a bigger impact (playing BBS last), because like you said, even though it's a prequel, it wasn't made to be a build-up to KH1 (kinda an oxymoron, maybe, lol). Which is why release order does seem to be the best way to go.

Well, I got through my thinking process and have made my decision, thanks again for all the feedback.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
since I've played KH3D, I would recommend playing the games in chronological order, it ties the story much better that way. I plan on July 1st to replay the games starting with BBS and going through them chronological until we get to coded and then play English KH3D on the release day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back