• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Takeshi Nozue on the potential of a Kingdom Hearts CG Film

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Ignoring your completely subjective feelings on some Disney films, has modern Disney created any animated films that have had objectively bad stories and poor reception? The answer to that is no, not really. They are 5 for 5 so far starting with Tangled in 2010 (and ignoring Winnie the Pooh because it reviewed well but Disney released it on Harry Potter's final film weekend so of course it was going to bomb hard).

That could definitely change, but I really don't think you have to worry about a poor adaption that just shits on the source material.

What about planes? That one was recieved pretty terribly by critics, unless you are only looking at the money it made. Even then, was it ever as high as the Cars films?

kingsoraful

Awards
If they make a KH CG movie administered by Disney it would be the BEST time to start creating it. Especially now that they're creating live action retellings of the Disney original tails. A part of me thinks Kingdom Hearts could be the MCU for Disney cartoon properties and yes I know Marvel is owned by Disney.

This could finally get Disney promoting heavily KH which is a very successful franchise with a very passionate fanbase. If there's any company you can trust with a property it's the Disney Animation Studios, they're 5 for 5 now likely 6 for 6 when Moana comes out in November.

Do whatever it takes so that it can work in 90 minutes, this include cutting content, modifying the flow of how the events play out (compared to the game), change focus, etc.

If they make a KH movie I'm sure it will go pass the 100 minute mark, probably close to 2 hrs. It won't bore kids or adults because of all the Disney characters in the movie. Kids won't be bored because I'm sure they'll be consistently entertained by Goofy and Donald's hijinks.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Coincidentally, not too long ago, one of the more famous woman YouTubers (who talks a lot about comic books, among other things) ended up discussing the idea of a Kingdom Hearts movie. I think it's because a lot of her followers kept asking, "Where is my KH movie?" every time she reported on a new Disney live action adaptation that was in the works.

Here's a link to that video, if anyone's interested in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGo3kKCXUaQ.

But you know, if KH really is getting this mainstream (again), maybe there'd be no better time to have a KH movie:) Especially since Disney seems more on board with it than ever before.

Also, if we do get a KH1 movie, I really hope they delve into Sora's impressive character arc a whole lot. Because while it was there in the game, they kind of just glossed over it and it could have been touched on a bit better. (For those who don't know what I mean, watch this video; Frustrated Jacob explains it better than I ever could; it's at the 6:54 mark). :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxHWorrLhKk&index=39

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Noooooope, no disney worlds = no sell to me. If you're gonna put forth the effort, I'd rather have a TV show/anime/miniseries.

Yeah, Kingdom Hearts seems to fit more as a TV show than most manga that get turned into animes. Not only is the style cartoonish being based on Disney, but Kingdom Hearts is almost tailor-made for the one thing most people hate about anime-adaptation: filler episodes.

The difference is, in Kingdom Hearts, filler episodes would be spent fleshing out and exploring iconic Disney worlds so it wouldn't feel as much of a unnecessary side quest as it would be getting to experience more of the worlds we know and love.

If they make a KH CG movie administered by Disney it would be the BEST time to start creating it. Especially now that they're creating live action retellings of the Disney original tails. A part of me thinks Kingdom Hearts could be the MCU for Disney cartoon properties and yes I know Marvel is owned by Disney.

I know this pure personal hypothesizing, but I've always wondered about Disney doing a live-action Kingdom Hearts film down the line utilizing all of their live-action films (once we have enough) to connect them and make them one huge universe akin to Marvel's and Star Wars'?

I know it's got a less than 10% chance of ever happening, but 1 big problem I see with a CG (or cartoon) adaptation of Kingdom Hearts is utilizing the original character designs to further the stories of characters that many people treasure. I think many fans would get defensive over tampering with these iconic characters. For example, people feel more attachment (and perhaps protective) to the original animated Cinderella design than they do to Lily James as Cinderella. Plus, it'd just be plain cool to see a live-action version drop into Beast's Castle and revisit Emma Watson as Belle for all of 20-30 minutes. I'm gonna back and dream now, where the finances of hiring Emma Watson for 30 minutes don't matter.

Kounelli

Awards
If a Kingdom Hearts film were ever to be made, it is going to have to be a film tailored more towards fans than general audiences. Back Cover is a good start, and if SE were to test waters with it, then they could get most of their reception from there.

Considering Disney's busy schedule with their future productions (Frozen 2, WIR 2, Giants, Big Hero 6 series, etc.) I doubt they will be able to contribute much of their staff to animating it, and would most likely give it all to Square for that. I can see them giving their insights however and then distributing the film afterwards. KH has received more spotlight lately, so I don't see Disney just turning a blind eye to the possibility of earning profit from merchandising the film (which will be big if successful, knowing Disney's toy and merch record).

As for the content of said film however, I doubt they could pull off a full adaptation. There is too much content to cover, too many worlds to consider, and then the subject of licensing for worlds such as Halloween Town and Deep Jungle. There are also too many fans to try and please, and knowing how sour the fandom can be, a good chunk of them will not be pleased and continuously complain.

A standalone film based on events from the story that takes place outside the game's timeline might be best. After all, that's what they have done with Advent Children and Kingslgaive, and I honestly feel that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back