• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PS4 Introducing Button Remapping - What This Might Mean for Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Playstation revealed today that the Playstation 4 Update 2.50 (Codenamed "Yukimura") will include a feature where you can remap the Dualshock 4 buttons. While there are a variety of new features included in this update (60fps Shareplay and Remote Play, Suspend/Resume, Trophy Updates), the button remapping is very important for Kingdom Hearts fans, as it means potential customisation for Kingdom Hearts 3's controls!

Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make their PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colors on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DualShock 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.

Gamers who are use to the Japanese or 3DS control of Kingdom Hearts will be able to
manually
swap the buttons around, thanks to Playstation 4 update "Yukimura"

What this essentially means is gamers who are accustomed to using O as attack and X as jump (as it is in the Japanese or A and B in the 3/DS games respectively) could be able manually swap the controls around for Kingdom Hearts 3, whenever the game might arrive. While details are scarce for how this will all work in game (in regards to Quick Time Events and other in-game button prompts), it's a right step forward for gamers who prefer alternate controls.

Thanks to Neogaf user DieH@rd, you can see the button remap menu, providing endless opportunities for control customisation for Kingdom Hearts 3!

Source: Playstation, Neogaf, Polygon, Dualshockers

DoctahFaz

Awards
Options are great. Personally, I'm already accustomed to X for attack/O for control. What I'd like to see is a secondary set of shortcuts mapped to the R1 button to go along with the ones already mapped to L1.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Theoretically wouldn't this get confusing? If the button swap is done on the system & not the game, then wouldn't the game still show on-screen button prompts for the default setup?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Theoretically wouldn't this get confusing? If the button swap is done on the system & not the game, then wouldn't the game still show on-screen button prompts for the default setup?
I did mention that it's yet to be seen how this affects in-game stuff (I'm curious for games that have QTE which has the button pop up) but surely this is stuff Sony would have asked in meetings and worked on.

Antar

Awards
I did mention that it's yet to be seen how this affects in-game stuff (I'm curious for games that have QTE which has the button pop up) but surely this is stuff Sony would have asked in meetings and worked on.

Yeah, I would be surprised if they didn't think about this issue. It might be like on PC where button icons change when you change input methods, so icons will change to what you customized them to.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wait, was it fake? Did you find something fishy about it?

KingdomHearts-8.jpg

Does this really look real or professional to you?

(It looks like it was made in Blender, models were made into poor alphas, and photoshopped onto that picture of a moon)

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It's all very fishy and screams April Fool's prank leaked early.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
KingdomHearts-8.jpg

Does this really look real or professional to you?

(It looks like it was made in Blender, models were made into poor alphas, and photoshopped onto that picture of a moon)

I have only read some of the headlines, so this is my first time seeing the pictures properly. Oh man they look as fake... well, as fake can be.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
it's funny, even IGN jumped on the bandwagon and posted this news

I can't imagine them not thinking it's some early April fools prank.

@button remapping: cool.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
it's funny, even IGN jumped on the bandwagon and posted this news

I can't imagine them not thinking it's some early April fools prank.

@button remapping: cool.

It's certainly has some truth behind it because we know Disney was working on a project in 2013, but we would rather do our research first before rushing into posting something that looks extremely fishy.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Well, this is great for options. While I'm usually comfortable with preset controls, it's nice to know I can change something that I don't like.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Button remapping on a console? Did we finally enter the 90s or what? What marvelous next-gen technologies are at work here I wonder.:wink:

I played both Japanese and International versions of several Kingdom Hearts games and I never had a problem with the different controls as you get the hang of it really fast. It's still nice that you can finally change it though.

@Fragmented Keys: I think it might be possible that a title with this name was developed (or at least conceptualized) in the past. But there are several things that doesn't add up, especially the quality differences in the concept art.
At least to me it seems that the whole thing was vastly overblown by the people involved, probably to make some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back