• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Marvel and Star Wars are Viable Options for KH3, "Nothing’s off-limits"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Kotaku recently spoke to Kingdom Hearts Co-Director Tai Yasue in London and questioned him about the addition of Star Wars and Marvel properties in Kingdom Hearts 3 and beyond.

“Yeah, I can’t go into specifics, but there’s a LOT of new Disney stuff and we have our plates full,” said Yasue. “Theres a lot to consider - we’re looking at all of Disney, the new ones as well, they have a lot of pull and draw.

Of course this doesn't necessarily confirm that either of these franchises will be included in the highly anticipated third game. Yasue just confirms that all of Disney's properites are being considered, but many will most likely not make the cut.

When I asked whether I could safely infer that that Star Wars and Marvel are not off-limits, Yasue confirmed that they are being considered. “Well, yeah. They’re all under consideration,” he said. “Nothing’s off-limits, we’re considering all of the worlds. There are so many wonderful concepts. We’re happy about that, but at the same time it’s really tough to choose.”

Whether this extends to Disney Television shows is yet to be seen as well.

With the vast majority of Disney properties before them, it certainly appears to be a difficult decision for the Kingdom Hearts 3 team to choose worlds.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nomura being such a big Star Wars fan this seems to be not that much of a surprise.

Although of course the SE side considering them does not necessarily mean anything to really come from it after all.

Disney...well, they wanted Chicken Little to be included as a summon to "promote" the movie, so I would certainly not be surprised if they want SE to include something of the new Star Wars animated series "Rebels" in KH 3 again for promoting purposes.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Really hope they don't add Star Wars or Marvel. I get that they're owned by Disney, but they're not Disney franchises, you know what I mean? Sora alongside Wolverine or Luke Skywalker would just not work in my opinion. Those worlds would throw off the Disney vibe, because they're not actual Disney-made properties. They don't have the same charm, for obvious reasons.

Would it ruin KH3 to include them? No, I doubt it. I just think it would make more sense to avoid them. It's one thing to include a world based on a single movie. It's another trying to include the entire Marvel or Star Wars universe into a single world. That'd be really difficult and probably wouldn't work.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If "nothing is off-limits" and they want a world with a lot of originality and what not then they really should consider Gravity Falls.

Also, I apologise a lot if none of my recent threads make sense. It's 1:30 am and I can barely keep my eyes open.

PuricoXD

If there's not going to be a Hannah Montana world in KH3, I'm gonna be so dissappointed.

BEASTENDER

Thor Hammer for Donald, Captain America shield for Goofy, Lightsaber keyblade for Sora. That's as much Marve/Star Wars I ever want to see in Kingdom Hearts. I can accept Star Wars, but I'm not a fan of the series or it's inclusion in the Kingdom Hearts series. It's at least comparable to TRON or even Pirates of the Caribbean, so I could see it working.

However the thought of Spiderman, Wolverine, or the Hulk interacting with Sora and Disney characters...disgusts me even. It just sounds like an absolutely terrible fit. To be fair, I would have told you the same thing if you told me mixing Final Fantasy and Disney was a good idea before the original Kingdom Hearts was released.

Last edited:

kreezy64

Awards
I love both of those series to death, I consider the MCU my second KH in terms of how much I love it, but I don't want to see them in this or any KH game, it just wouldn't feel right at all. Like some were saying I could go for a small easter egg or promo thing, but I don't think a full blown world would go well in the game, there's WAY too much to both of them and it just wouldn't feel right.

If "nothing is off-limits" and they want a world with a lot of originality and what not then they really should consider Gravity Falls.

Double yes completely agree

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Me I'd just perfer to have Miss Piggy as some sorta summon; I know that sounds wacked but she'd fit there really well. "You Heartless have had it!(Or in chara insults here) HIIII-YAH!"

But other than that and maybe some tiebacks, and possibly having some Star Wars in KH, I don't see what else'd fit very well.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I don't want to see Marvel or Star Wars in KH ever. Period.

I really think that there should be a Ducktales world.

Heartkeeper

Awards
KH and Star Wars is a match made in heaven but I'm afraid that is not going to happen for KHIII, and Marvel, I will like that too but Marvel is going to impose a lot of characters/worlds to promote their movies like the did with Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Silent hero_

Awards
Really hope they don't add Star Wars or Marvel. I get that they're owned by Disney, but they're not Disney franchises, you know what I mean? Sora alongside Wolverine or Luke Skywalker would just not work in my opinion. Those worlds would throw off the Disney vibe, because they're not actual Disney-made properties. They don't have the same charm, for obvious reasons.

Would it ruin KH3 to include them? No, I doubt it. I just think it would make more sense to avoid them. It's one thing to include a world based on a single movie. It's another trying to include the entire Marvel or Star Wars universe into a single world. That'd be really difficult and probably wouldn't work.

Nomura being such a big Star Wars fan this seems to be not that much of a surprise.

Although of course the SE side considering them does not necessarily mean anything to really come from it after all.

Disney...well, they wanted Chicken Little to be included as a summon to "promote" the movie, so I would certainly not be surprised if they want SE to include something of the new Star Wars animated series "Rebels" in KH 3 again for promoting purposes.

Thor Hammer for Donald, Captain America shield for Goofy, Lightsaber keyblade for Sora. That's as much Marve/Star Wars I ever want to see in Kingdom Hearts. I can accept Star Wars, but I'm not a fan of the series or it's inclusion in the Kingdom Hearts series. It's at least comparable to TRON or even Pirates of the Caribbean, so I could see it working.

However the thought of Spiderman, Wolverine, or the Hulk interacting with Sora and Disney characters...disgusts me even. It just sounds like an absolutely terrible fit. To be fair, I would have told you the same thing if you told me mixing Final Fantasy and Disney was a good idea before the original Kingdom Hearts was released.

Agreed.

I could totally see them including something from Rebels, like Sephiroth said, or even from the newest Star Wars movie.
Hopefully it will just be restricted to gameplay, like weapons, accessories, clothing, non-canon secret bosses (Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader would be cool) etc and not something story-related, because this series doesn't really need another Universe complicating things.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Sora would have to go to a Galaxy far far away...

It'd be really interesting to see how that would work. There's going to be plenty of ideas onward for any future installments.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Agreed.

I could totally see them including something from Rebels, like Sephiroth said, or even from the newest Star Wars movie.
Hopefully it will just be restricted to gameplay, like weapons, accessories, clothing, non-canon secret bosses (Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader would be cool) etc and not something story-related, because this series doesn't really need another Universe complicating things.

Rebels would have the further advantage of being restricted to a rather assessable cast of characters and they could possibly also restrict it to one location like i.e. the Inquisitor's Star Destroyer.
As for the universe, I don't know about Marvel, but the Star Wars universe has, at least in theory, become at least slightly more manageable because after April 25, 2014 every material about Star Wars that was created before this date that isn't the six already existing films or the "The Clone Wars"-CGI series has been declared officially non-canon by both George Lucas and Disney.
The material is still viable under the "Legends"-banner as a potential source for authors and the new "Lucasfilm Story Group" (a new institution created by Disney and Lucas to oversee Star Wars canon and eliminate discrepancies) and may re-enter official canon if used by a work (novel, videogame, film etc.) that is released after April 25 2014, but right now at least all this stuff would not have to be considered.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
All I want is a Gargoyle world and a Darkwing Duck cameo, is that so wrong?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Star wars should just be a gummi ship section.

That's actually quite a good idea.
Instead of Heartless or Nobody ships you have to dogfight with Imperial TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors while the level boss is an Imperial Star Destroyer. *ggg*

BEASTENDER

Star wars should just be a gummi ship section.

Now that is a brilliant idea. Not that I ever want to see the Gummi Ship back lol As a harmless optional mini game sure, but I never did like that it was required to advance to the next world. However, a Gummi Ship section would fit in well with the Star Wars grand scale action sequences.

I'd still vote no on them both, but then again I'd also vote no on Frozen too but we all know it's going to happen...I love Haley Joel Osment's work, but I never want to hear him sing again; at least while voicing Sora lol.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
The idea of Marvel or Star Wars being involved with KH at all makes me want to vomit. As much as I adore this series, I can honestly say their inclusion would ruin things for me.

It's not like I necessarily have a problem with those properties
But they just aren't "Disney."
And, let's be honest, they're both very very very large properties that I don't think can really be represented as a small KH world--especially not Star Wars, which itself uses several planets. And I don't want "Final Fantasy+Disney" to suddenly become "Final Fantasy+Marvel and Star Wars"
And of course, they both have more than enough media representation, including video games. They're pop culture powerhouses, so it's not like they'd even need to be included to promote new movies.

They may be owned by Disney, but they're still completely different. They're about as Disney as the Let's Players they acquired through Maker Studios.

Also kind of funny that nobody ever mentions Indiana Jones​, despite that also being a major Lucasfilm IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back