• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura Explains Why It Took So Long To Get To Kingdom Hearts 3 & Discusses DLC

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

There are fans who have kept up with every Kingdom Hearts release, purchasing consoles just to play the games. There are fans who stopped playing after Kingdom Hearts 2 and swore the next time they would play a Kingdom Hearts game, they'd be playing Kingdom Hearts 3. Both can agree on one thing: it is time for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Tetsuya Nomura spoke with Gamespot about why the game has taken so long. 

“A lot of people have been mentioning and making it sound like ‘Oh, Nomura’s taking too much time,’ and it hurts"

He revealed to Gamespot that the decision for the game to move development from the Luminous Engine, on which Final Fantasy XV was developed, to Unreal Engine 4 was made by executives at Square Enix above his level. This occured about a year into development on the game, and caused extensive delays:

“There was a decision made to change to an external [engine]...Unreal Engine 4,” he said. “So we switched over to that. Unfortunately there was a bit of time that needed to be rewinded and started over. So there was a bit of a setback there, but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable.”

Nomura also revealed that the promotional plan for Kingdom Hearts 3 should reveal each world before the game launches in 2018. He said that games can add content via DLC after the games release, so there is no need to hide any of the new worlds.

Gamespot asked about any potential plans for DLC:

“Nothing is set in stone, and I’m afraid we can’t go into details, but I have told the team: Just be prepared to be able to accommodate for something like that,” Nomura said. “We can’t suddenly develop a system where we’re accommodating for downloadable content. So it’s not confirming or denying either way, but just so that the development team will be prepared, I have informed them of making the preparations.”

kingsoraful

Awards
It sounds like the game will have plenty of new and old worlds returning with more content in them then in any KH title before. It also sounds like we'll have more worlds in this one then in the original KH but not more than in KH II. Maybe the same amount.

DLC when it comes may bring it over the level of KH II.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Considering Luminous is kind of... well... not very good, I feel like the switch to UE4 probably wasn't a delay in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I hope there isn't DLC.
I'll buy it anyway, but I hope it doesn't happen.

kingsoraful

Awards
I'll buy anything this game gives me.

Now I'm thinking we're looking at 11-13 Disney worlds total not including the original ones. Around the same or a bit less than KH 2 but they will be so much bigger than any KH before.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
Yeah, I figured the switch from the Luminous Engine to UE4 was probably the main reason why the game has taken so long since it was initially announced. The concept for KHIII may have been in development since early 2013, but the current version of KHIII as we see it now has only been in development since mid-2014.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
13 worlds seem fine.

I just hope it's not less then that and it's mainly new besides for the originals..the lower the world amount the lower the chances some favorites making it in.

notnow123487

Awards
I'll buy anything this game gives me.

Now I'm thinking we're looking at 11-13 Disney worlds total not including the original ones. Around the same or a bit less than KH 2 but they will be so much bigger than any KH before.

Thats very optimistic. I'd say you're looking at 15 worlds total like KH2 at most with his comments. I'd say 8-10 Disney worlds is the realistic amount with 10 being on the high end.

kingsoraful

Awards
Thats very optimistic. I'd say you're looking at 15 worlds total like KH2 at most with his comments. I'd say 8-10 Disney worlds is the realistic amount with 10 being on the high end.

I don't see there being that many original worlds though. Radiant Garden, Twilight Town, The Keyblade Graveyard, and Daybreak Town.

Gives space for 10-11 Disney worlds for the total of 15. KH2 had 14 total.

I say we're looking at the same amount as KH 2 here, but they'll be so much bigger than any in the franchise.

KH 2 had 11 Disney worlds, not including the originals, which there were only 3. I imagine KH 3 will have the same amount of Disney worlds or one more. DLC could make it more.

I think Destiny Islands will only be shown in cutscenes like KH 2.

I would say bank on Frozen being one of the remaining 6 or 7 worlds. Followed by Jungle Book and Incredibles for the 2nd Disney Pixar world.

The other 2-3 I have no idea. Aladdin I think is returning.

Marvel and Star Wars will be in the game but similar to FF characters.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think it's a horrible idea for DLC to play a part in KH3 if the DLC will be new worlds. The worlds are a major part of the story. Intentionally leaving some out just to make them DLC is going to be bad for the story and make everyone angry at the game. Or making DLC worlds just to pander to the fans that are begging for more content. Why make a world that was left out of KH3 available as DLC and not necessary to the plot on the disc, when the world could be used in KH4?

KH's DLC should be additional keyblades, side story chapters for Kairi/Riku/Aqua/Lea/Mickey (whichever character), additional gummi ship modifications... basically things that are not necessary to have a complete experience from the game that is on the disc.

kingsoraful

Awards
I completely agree. Side Story chapters to add more to the worlds already in the game.

I think that there are still 6-7 Disney worlds left to be revealed. I wonder what they will be. I would say the 6 are...

1. Frozen
2. The Jungle Book or Zootopia
3. Brave or Moana
4. Treasure Planet or POTC
5. Aladdin
6. Robin Hood or The Black Cauldron
7. Beauty and the Beast

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
the season pass is gonna be called the "final mix".

Muke

whatever
Awards
Also, I hope there isn't DLC.
I'll buy it anyway, but I hope it doesn't happen.
What's with the DLC hate? As long as the game is complete and it's nothing necessary, why hope there won't be DLC? It's a good way to add content to those who really love the game and would like to pay, and for those who don't, they can just say "no, thanks, I don't need this."
So… why do you hope there's no DLC? Genuine question.

A lot of people have been mentioning and making it sound like 'Oh, Nomura's taking too much time,' and it hurts"
;(

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
A lot of people have been mentioning and making it sound like "Oh, Nomura's taking too much time, and it hurts"

He revealed to Gamespot that the decision for the game to move development from the Luminous Engine, on which Final Fantasy XV was developed, to Unreal Engine 4 was made by executives at Square Enix above his level. This occured about a year into development on the game, and caused extensive delays:

There was a decision made to change to an external [engine]...Unreal Engine 4, he said.
So we switched over to that. Unfortunately there was a bit of time that needed to be rewinded and started over. So there was a bit of a setback there, but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable.

Completely understandable to be hurt when you're accused of being the main "culprit" of something which wasn't in your ability to influence, yet the only advice one may give there is to ignore those whiners. They're there since 2006 more or less anyways.

How many of those more "grounded" fans have said this from the very beginning? Now we have official confirmation on it but I doubt it will actually have much influence on that particular part of the fandom.

Nomura also revealed that the promotional plan for Kingdom Hearts 3 should reveal each world before the game launches in 2018. He said that games can add conent via DLC after the games release, so there is no need to hide any of the new worlds.

Gamespot asked about any potential plans for DLC:

Nothing is set in stone, and I'm afraid we can't go into details, but I have told the team: Just be prepared to be able to accommodate for something like that; Nomura said.
We can't suddenly develop a system where we're accommodating for downloadable content. So it's not confirming or denying either way, but just so that the development team will be prepared, I have informed them of making the preparations.

In all honesty he can reveal every single world just fine if he cuts down on the story spoilers in return, would be a neat payoff.

As for the whole DLC-business. Nowadays having at least some additional stuff delivered later is almost a default of the gaming industry and I have actually no problem with some extra Coliseum Cups, Super Bosses or clothing/Keyblade DLCs.
Story DLC would really depend on what exactly it is as the main story should certainly be complete with the vanilla launch and definitely NOT something like FF XIII-2 had.

15 worlds with these massive areas is already much more than KH 1 and KH 2 had when looking at it overall.
The actual number of worlds is not really an indicator if each single KH III world is two or three times as big as one of the old worlds was.

Depending on how many original worlds are included, we may end up on around 16 or 17 worlds overall, but that is a generous estimate.

I don't see there being that many original worlds though. Radiant Garden, Twilight Town, The Keyblade Graveyard, and Daybreak Town.

Out of these, I'm even not entirely sure about Daybreak Town being actually playable when there are locations that make more sense narrative- and timeline-wise (Daybreak Town is a relic of the past after all) like i.e. Castle Oblivion/LoD.
Twilight Town we already know to be present while Radiant Garden as the Capital of Light and the main home of over 90% of the FF cameos is almost a no-brainer while the Graveyard might be the site of the series of final battles.
If we still want to include Daybreak it would be five originals if we insinuate that Yen Sid's Tower is again attached to Twilight Town.
1. Daybreak, 2. Graveyard, 3. Radiant Garden, 4. Twilight Town, 5. CO/LoD.
Yet in DDD, it was stated in the Ultimania that the World that never was has special properties which allows all 13 Xehanorts to gather in one place, so this may catapult this world back into the circle of possible playable originals as well.
But even with six originals there are still nine slots left for Disney-worlds if one wants to reach a number of 15.

What's with the DLC hate? As long as the game is complete and it's nothing necessary, why hope there won't be DLC? It's a good way to add content to those who really love the game and would like to pay, and for those who don't, they can just say "no, thanks, I don't need this."
So… why do you hope there's no DLC? Genuine question.

;(

It may be because examples of incompleteness and DLC-"fixing" already exist especially from Square, read: FF XIII-2 and FF XV to quite an extent.
For some people, those already constitute as a negative precedence cases which outshine the admittedly positive examples like i.e. World of Final Fantasy.

On one hand I am supportive of Nomura actually addressing this issue, yet on the other I doubt that it will do much to change the minds of the KH 3-whiners in regards to their scapegoat.

kingsoraful

Awards
9-10 slots left and 4 are already revealed giving us 5-6 more Disney worlds IMO.

I don't think we'll play through TWTNW, I imagine that world much like DI will be just in cutscenes.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Really isn't much they could do with TWTNW that they haven't done in DDD anyway.All the districts look the same and so you can't revamp that along with the castle.

Awards
Really isn't much they could do with TWTNW that they haven't done in DDD anyway.All the districts look the same and so you can't revamp that along with the castle.
They'll find a way to revamp it. Don't know how, but they will.In my personal opinion, I just wanna run around TWTNW in those amazing graphics~

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm pretty convinced Downloadable Content (DLC), will come to KINGDOM HEARTS III. Square Enix wants to make a business model based on inclining games to be more of a "service", than a "release, and move-on" product. Just look at FINAL FANTASY XV and how we're still getting content with new updates and DLC episodes based on characters from the main cast. You could say that FFXV is the "guinea pig" of this new model SE wants to promote. I'm predicting one, to three worlds via paid DLC that will be based on upcoming Disney movies. That way you can keep the game alive, well, selling like hot pancakes and with nice marketing.

Other DLC may revolve around costume pieces, seeing as how we saw that in 0.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back