• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

View Colour Boards for the Cancelled Kingdom Hearts TV Show!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The Kingdom Hearts television series has been featured on KHInsider a few times. We learnt that the television series was in production but cancelled because the series was going to evolve and Square Enix and Disney wanted to maintain a good working relationship. It also would have also included a world based on the Jungle Book.

Seth Kearsley, who revealed all these details before, uploaded the colour boards from the cancelled series. You can see Kairi was meant to have a more active role with some combat scenes.

You asked for it.  You got it.  I hope I don't get in trouble for this.  

This is all I have been able to find.  My sister insists that she has a DVD of the animatic somewhere but she hasn't been able to find it yet.  Looking back, I wish I could fix every single one of these drawings, but I still think this would have been bad ass.  When they get to Agrabah, I boarded it so I could use original backgrounds from Aladdin that I was able to get copies of from the Disney Archive.  So...when Riku grabs the lamp and suddenly becomes possessed by Maleficent, it's the same background as when Aladdin first grabs the lamp in the movie.

Woulda/coulda/shoulda been cool.  Maybe they'll do it at some point but just to head off some of the frequently asked questions, I have no control of this project.  It's completely owned by Disney.  I just directed and boarded the animatic pilot.

Enjoy.

- Seth Kearsley

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
It's still kinda hard to believe an actual TV series was in the works. Seeing it in color really makes me wish we could see even just this fully animated. :I

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Weird that Riku seems to be captive to Maleficent somehow.

Also weird that it seems to start in media res.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
There was a rumoured VHS of it that has now turned into a rumoured DVD so maybe one day we could see it!

Also lmao these were uploaded in October so sorry we're a bit late on these! Still a good thing to get out there in the open :)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
DYJd5yc.jpg

Sonicfan2525

Awards
Despite all the changes, I really would have loved to have seen this animated. Something I have wanted for years, ever since I was a little kid really, is a Kingdom Hearts tv show/anime. Maybe Disney will look at the reaction to this and eventually make a show of some kind someday with a lot of good people behind it. That's VERY highly doubtful though, but a guy can dream right?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Weird that Riku seems to be captive to Maleficent somehow.

If I had to come up with a quick, simple explanation for why a seemingly upright and smart kid was running errands for an evil fairy that he implicitly does not trust, I'd probably go with that tbh. Plus... I mean, we see later on that Riku's going along with Maleficent's plan out of spite for Sora and a desire to save Kairi, but what kept him stuck at Hollow Bastion before that, hm?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
For those who don't understand, this isn't the final look that the series would have had.

Story boards and colour boards are used internally to give an example of how the scene will look, what camera positions to use etc.
From that the animators would create the full scene the way it was initially intended.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
KH series headed by Alex Hirsch on Disney XD for the 15th anniversary

make it happen disney

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Nice to see SRK would of had photos of themselves in the tv show. Really wish that were in the games.
If I had to come up with a quick, simple explanation for why a seemingly upright and smart kid was running errands for an evil fairy that he implicitly does not trust, I'd probably go with that tbh. Plus... I mean, we see later on that Riku's going along with Maleficent's plan out of spite for Sora and a desire to save Kairi, but what kept him stuck at Hollow Bastion before that, hm?

I don't think he was her hostage. I figured Riku stayed and did her bidding cause she kept feeding his big ego :p

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I really hope we get a Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV style anime for Kingdom Hearts for the 15th Anniversary. After all, the only reason why this TV pilot was never accomplished is due to the fact that Kingdom Hearts was at its infancy.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
The art style looks terrible, but as long as someone else would have made the final designs and made it look better, it might have been cool. But I don't really need a KH animation anyway, the manga is great and enough for me.

UnKing98

I'd watch this many times over if it was animated. I can forgive the art since it's concept boards, but would it be awesome if the music would've been done by Yoko Shimomura?
0UmeiNz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This right here made me tear up a bit for some reason. :v

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Wait.... didn't we see the colored storyboards a while ago?

The art style looks terrible, but as long as someone else would have made the final designs and made it look better, it might have been cool. But I don't really need a KH animation anyway, the manga is great and enough for me.

*points to Chaser's comment*
For those who don't understand, this isn't the final look that the series would have had.

Story boards and colour boards are used internally to give an example of how the scene will look, what camera positions to use etc.
From that the animators would create the full scene the way it was initially intended.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Y'all should also know the guy is pretty active in the animation field. Don't snuff the dude just because his rough sketches for animatics and storyboards aren't works of beauty. Storyboards are only meant to give direction as Chaser said. Some may look gorgeous, and some might look like stick figures.

Wait.... didn't we see the colored storyboards a while ago?

No? They were released awhile back but we never posted about them.

DefiantHeart

Awards
Interesting. ^_^ Shame we couldn't see this come to fruition. Always nice to see different perspectives on a collaboration series. :3 I especially love that Kairi seems to have taken a more active role in this version too. :3 ( She seems to have turned into a young Tifa...)

Y'all should also know the guy is pretty active in the animation field. Don't snuff the dude just because his rough sketches for animatics and storyboards aren't works of beauty. Storyboards are only meant to give direction as Chaser said. Some may look gorgeous, and some might look like stick figures.

No? They were released awhile back but we never posted about them.

Wait, people were bashing the storyboards for their roughness? Lol, some people really must not know the creative process behind animations huh? I personally don't use storyboards, as I do all my own animations myself, but yeah... like chu say ish about directing what should happen at key points.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It might not be too late to see KH animated. Maybe Square can do anime shorts promoting KH3 like they did for XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back