• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ys is a pretty cool thing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Happyfunshineman

Awards
2107926-logo.jpg

So, um, does anyone here play any Ys? Well you should!

Ys is an action RPG series by Nihon Falcom. Who's Nihon Falcom? If you like rpgs and go onto gaming fourms, you might know Falcom as the creators of that Kiseki series that everyone, and rightfully so, never shuts up about how much you need to play.

The first Ys game was released all the way back in 1987. While titles such as The Tower of Druaga and Dragon Slayer predated the first Ys, Ys is arguably one of the premier action RPGs.

2hhFjei.jpg

<Do you known the name Adol Christin?>

Ys takes place in a fantastical version of the real world. You have places with names like Afroca and Eresia but its all a bit more spiced up than what we know as Earth.

The series follows the adventures of Adol Christin, a young man with a distinctive head of red hair, who has a passion for adventuring. The Ys games share a single continuity meaning that, yes, the same Adol you'll play as in a modern Ys game is the same Adol that has been adventuring since 1987! That might sound a bit scary for anyone who wants to get into the series but don't worry! Every Ys game has its own distinctive plot the begins and ends with each game. Sometimes a character from a past game might pop up and say hi, but its always treated in a rather matter-of-fact kind of way meaning any Ys game is a technically a starting point. Adol is also a silent protagonist, which in this case helps the player by having a protagonist who isn't constantly talking about stuff you don't know or remember.

d80cf8835e3d18526aee3efc7574732a.jpg

Typically the way things work is Adol will get shipwrecked somewhere during his various adventures and he’ll get caught up in all sorts of craziness! The games have gone through several different styles of gameplay but all focus on fast and easy to pick up combat. Older Ys games have Adol as a the only playable character, while newer Ys games have a party system.

So, uh, yeah. Do you like Ys? Maybe you should give it a shot!

Veevee

Awards
I tried Memories of Celceta before, but it couldn't quite reel me in. Thinking back, I guess I now would like the game more because back then I thought it was too simple: The combat was fast-paced but looked rather shallow to me and I had the impression that the environment and the textures looked a bit ... muddy. I couldn't really get into it.

A few years later, I got Lacrimosa of Dana for the PS Vita as a Christmas present of a friend and that one hit home. What I actually liked best (a little strange, but yeah) was the Flash mechanics - Flash Guard and Flash Evade that prompted you to time your defense and attack right on the second and it felt really rewarding to get into this short, but awesome little God Mode afterwards. It helps that I'm a sucker for island stories - I love the "lost on an island, build a society and try to survive" kind of stories, whether in manga or in games and this one felt good. I like how the characters are not just NPC 1, 2 and 3 you had to rescue so that the actual plot gets on, but actually contribute to the community in their own way - by tailoring or smithing or trading. They felt like people to me, like members of the community, one which I was happy to fight for - a lot of island stories basically have one group of people who are capable of doing something and a big bunch of people who are just sitting there, doing nothing, but need to be protected. When the community members actually scored more points than me at Raid attacks, it really amused me and I like that.

I'm far from done with the game, I'm somewhere around the part where you can switch between Adol and Dana for the first time and I really need to make time to continue playing. The gorgeous soundtrack is also a huge part of my love for this (also the artstyle this time) because everything feels so mystical, huge and colorful, accompanied by an interesting story, a fleshed-out battle gameplay and fun exploring.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
A few years later, I got Lacrimosa of Dana for the PS Vita as a Christmas present of a friend and that one hit home. What I actually liked best (a little strange, but yeah) was the Flash mechanics - Flash Guard and Flash Evade that prompted you to time your defense and attack right on the second and it felt really rewarding to get into this short, but awesome little God Mode afterwards. It helps that I'm a sucker for island stories - I love the "lost on an island, build a society and try to survive" kind of stories, whether in manga or in games and this one felt good. I like how the characters are not just NPC 1, 2 and 3 you had to rescue so that the actual plot gets on, but actually contribute to the community in their own way - by tailoring or smithing or trading. They felt like people to me, like members of the community, one which I was happy to fight for - a lot of island stories basically have one group of people who are capable of doing something and a big bunch of people who are just sitting there, doing nothing, but need to be protected. When the community members actually scored more points than me at Raid attacks, it really amused me and I like that.

I'm far from done with the game, I'm somewhere around the part where you can switch between Adol and Dana for the first time and I really need to make time to continue playing. The gorgeous soundtrack is also a huge part of my love for this (also the artstyle this time) because everything feels so mystical, huge and colorful, accompanied by an interesting story, a fleshed-out battle gameplay and fun exploring.

Lacrimosa of Dana is one of my favorite games in the series next to The Oath in Felghana! I really loved the exploration aspects and how things continue to open up as you recover more and more of the lost passengers.

The Flash mechanics are great, so its not too weird to like them the best. It took me a while to get used to them when they were introduced in Seven, but once you get the hang of it, its a really rewarding system.

I tried Memories of Celceta before, but it couldn't quite reel me in. Thinking back, I guess I now would like the game more because back then I thought it was too simple: The combat was fast-paced but looked rather shallow to me and I had the impression that the environment and the textures looked a bit ... muddy. I couldn't really get into it.

That’s not to strange really. I see a lot of people having trouble with the Ys series’s visuals. Falcom is actually a really small team and this is an area where they tend to struggle since they started developing fully 3D games.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Yes, by the way, quite positively, I like it.
<3

Lacrimosa of Dana is my very first Ys license game and it's a great surprise. a real action rpg that makes me think between mixture of rogue Galaxy and dark chronicle on ps2
Glad your enjoying it! It’s one of the best games in the series.

Also, yes to Rogue Galaxy. That’s a name I don’t here too often.

Back