• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Your Video Game Origins

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Where did it all start for you? How did you get into this..."video game" thing, anyway?

-What was your first console?
-First big console game?
-What about the first game you yourself actually BOUGHT? With your own money?
-Did you prefer platforms, fighters, RPG's, racers...
-Anything I forgot? I want to know about it!

I don't want a list or anything, unless you wanna answer all those questions. Just tell me...

How did it all start for YOU?

The first console we had was a Sega, but I don't remember it. We had that Aladdin game, I guess...
My step-dad came into my life toting an NES with games like Monopoly, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, and Paperboy. He even had a PSOne with the first Spyro game, Croc, Tomb Raider, and Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver. I was 5.

I didn't play console games because I was afraid to be criticized by the people watching, so I played my sister's Pokémon Yellow Version instead. I was given my very first game, Pokémon Silver Version during my 6th Christmas (to play on my clear purple GameBoy Color), and around that time, I started playing Spyro. I got over my fear of being watched and genuinely enjoyed playing in front of the others. Out of my sister, step-dad, and me; I was the first to defeat Gnasty Gnorc, the insurmountable final boss (in my mind).

I remember buying Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland for my GameBoy Advance. It was a whopping $34.99, but I borrowed it from my friend enough to know that I wanted it. First video game purchase, and I STILL play that game.

I always preferred platforms in the beginning. Simple, easy to grasp; like Spyro and Croc. After a while I played fighting games like War of the Monsters for PS2, and the usual easy RPG's that were similar to my Pokémon games.

Nowadays I'll play anything. Old stuff, new stuff, retro stuff...I'm all for it. And Kingdom Hearts isn't the only game I will ever play a dozen more times! ;D

MegaxXxman

My first game system was a super nintendo, the game I jumped on the bus was super mario world and then from there I met a friend who had a neon genesis and a nintendo 64 with zelda and super smash brothers to where after I was given my own Playstation one and one of my early earliest games was Apocalypse with Bruce willis as the obvious voice actor and lead character. From there I went from tetris to crash bandicoot and spyro with some megaman legends thrown in I use to live off of megaman X 4, the first system I bought for myself was a gameboy advance getting my fire emblem on. I never preferred any type of genre but I would say platform games were my favorite but I was able to branch out, to this day I have my own gamecube as my retro wares along with my the current gen. By the way I remember playing Kirby's nightmare in dreamland too great side scroller.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
My first system was a Ps1 when I was 4 or 5. My first game was Crash Bandicoot, and I loved it. The first game I bought with my own money was Rugrats, which was also the first game I beat. I was amazed to find secrets like the hidden maze in the pyramid putt putt course. The first game I really fell in love with though was Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd never played a game with such a deep and emotional story before that, and it was my introduction to jrpg's. I was probably in second grade when I first played FFT.

Yamuraiha

Awards
I think my first console was a SNES or a SEGA? I know that I had both but I don't know which one was the first console I had. I just know that I had a SNES, SEGA and after that a PS1. Had a few mini game-ish games on the SNES .. played that one Donald Duck game on the SEGA, Sonic too.. and Hugo. After I had a PS1 I played Pandemonium a lot, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman and stuff like that I guess? I don't remember much though.

Got a N64 afterwards .. my mom took me and my sister somewhere (visited someone I guess?) and the kids there had a N64 and they wouldn't let us play with them so my mom bought us a N64 for my birthday. It came with the Donkey Kong bundle and I loved it. I remember playing Donkey Kong, Mario Party 1, 2, 3 (played a lot of it mostly 1), Pokemon Stadium, Super Mario, Jet Force Gemini, a Rugrats game I don't remember why I wanted that one lol and a few other games like Mario Kart etc.

My parents sold most of the old consoles though once we got a new one (happened to the SNES and SEGA). I'd probably still have my N64 but someone stole it from our basement...
Afte that I bought a PS3 with my own money that's when I really started getting more and more into gaming. When I was a child I didn't play on my consoles that much (especially compared to now) cause I usually just played outside with friends.

I think I just kinda grew up with games? It just became more of a hobby when I got older (*´・v・)

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
First console was the NES. I didn't care for playing the games but I liked watching my brother play. I don't think I really got into games until Pokemon. I was so excited when my parents got us Gameboy Colors and Pokemon Blue and Yellow (to the point I couldn't figure out how to turn it on.) I still remember how much fun a had with that game...and the nightmares it gave me when one day, most of the Pokemon in the PC were gone. I freaked out and turned the game off, and when I turned it back on, all the Pokemon in the PC were gone!! My Charizard was gone! My Mekor...*cries*

It's hard to put what the first game I paid myself was. It might have been a Gamecube game because I remember that was the time when were buying more used instead of new.

I preferred JRPG's since they didn't require fast reflexes (and I was more familiar with it than other genres,) but ever since Kingdom Hearts I have a little more of a variety now.

I think that about covers it aside from that I have most Nintendo consoles and handhelds, and have a PS2 and PSP.
There's probably something I'm forgetting, but that's all that comes to mind.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
First video game device I owned was a Game Boy Color, along with Pokémon Blue and Red. An uncle eventually gave me an N64 with a handful of games... And eventually I got to where I am today. xD

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I don't particularly remember what was my first game but I believe it was Pokemon Red/Blue.

Edit: Actually I think it was something else judging from the release dates. I remember had a Sega Genesis and then a Sega Saturn. I don't remember which was the first game for both systems.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
first console was the NES... My dad and I loved figuring out super mario bros from the top to bottom, finding tricks and shortcuts... however I was 6 and I made it to world 8 before my dad... so he was happy that I had beaten my first game... he soon got more but those games held little appeal for me...

First big console game was Super mario bros and it always will be...

First game I ever bought though with my own money was my first RPG, I spent many a summer day mowing lawns and my dad had gotten me a PS1 that christmas... it took about 4 days of non-stop mowing to get enough money for the first game I ever bought... my dad gotten demo disks and I saw a lot of cool trailers and played some great demos which the full games are now part of my PS3 library, it was final fantasy 8.

for me I was engrossed in RPG's of all kinds... falling in love with Grandia, Suikoden, Final fantasy, Vandal hearts etc... although I did deviate abit and played some other games like crash bandicoot, Spyro, and a few others like blaster master and crash team racing

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My first console was either PS1 or Game Boy. If it was PS1, I got that when I was 6 for my birthday and I was obsessed with one level of Crash Bandicoot (there was a demo CD that came with the console, I think, so I played that level over and over again). I think my first big console game, though, was Spyro. I didn't play it much, since I think I got stuck on one part, but I really loved the game at the time!

As for the first game I bought, it was most likely Chain of Memories. Not 100% sure about that (since it could've been a Pokemon game lulz), but I started buying games and such in the early 2000s, though I'm not sure if I really bought many games until after KH came out. When the next games were announced, I preordered CoM and KH2 as fast as I could and got both with my own money.

Annnnnd I refer RPGs. Blame KH for that haha

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My first introduction to video games was in 3rd grade when I had to stay over a classmate's house everyday since my grandmother had been in a car accident and couldn't take care of me in the afternoons and I was too young to be at home by myself even though I lived around the corner from school. While spending time at his house, he and his baby brother owned all of the consoles that were on the market. NES, SNES, GB, Sega Dreamcast, N64, PS1, and so on. If you could name it, he probably had it and the games to go with it.

My favorite games were Wave Race 64 and GoldenEye 007, but I played virtually everything he had except his Dreamcast because I thought it was lame.

I didn't get my first console until I was in middle school, which was a GBA (given to my mom for free by some guy work worked at G4 as a gift for fixing his car) where I played Chain of Memories, Pokemon, FFTA, and a bunch of other games to death. Any other games I played during those years was by going over a friend's house and playing or getting the chance to borrow PS2 xD

And the first console I ever bought with my own paycheck money was a PSP (specifically the BBS PSP Bundle).

Rael_Oblivion

My first console was the N64 that my uncle gave me as a birthday present along with a few games. The first one I played (and immediately fell in love with) was Ocarina of Time. I also got Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Banjo-Kazooie. Shortly after, I got a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Yellow for Christmas.
The first game I bought with my own money was Pokemon Silver, I'm pretty sure.
I definitely prefer RPGs to any other type of game, although I will play an action-adventure game from time to time as well.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
The first games I ever played were all on the PC. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint my very first game exactly, but it might have been Sonic. I played so many PC ports of games that were available at the time, lol. Tomb Raider, Sonic, etc. I've been playing video games in some form for as long as I can remember.

The GBA Color was my first console though, with Pokemon Blue and Yellow to accompany it. And the first time I ever spent my own money was when I paid for half of my N64 and for Pokemon Stadium with all of the birthday/Christmas money I had and my mom paid for the other half.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
My parents gave me a game to play on my brothers gamz boy and I later got one myself. My parents just did that keep me quiet and occupied. It was a Mickey Mouse puzzle game, but I'm pretty sure I played other games before it. That was around kindergarten.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The very first game that I played was Super Mario Bros. on the NES. I remember I was 4 or 5 that time and would always play right after getting home from kindergarten. My parents used to play games, too, so from there my love of video games evolved as they bought the SNES, PS (which holds the record of being the longest functionally surviving console), and finally PS2.

The first console that I bought with my own money was the 3DS in 2011, followed by PS3 in 2012. However, the first game I got through the same manner was... I think 358/2 Days, around two years before I got my 3DS.

As for genre, I don't consider myself to be a lover of a specific one. I play what I think I enjoy, and there are all sorts of games that I like starting from children-oriented platformers like Donkey Kong Country and Crash Bandicoot to horror such as Resident Evil and recently The Last of Us. That said, I believe my roster of games has a large proportion of JRPGs.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
When I was like 5 years old, my family and I moved from one state to another. I remember playing a handheld during the move. It had no cartridges but had a bunch of games built in. I remember playing Tetris on it. It broke and I asked my parents for another one.

Sometime later, I was given a GameBoy Color for my birthday. I remember being disappointed because it came with a game that featured some weird plumber (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe). The least my parents could have given me was Pokemon. (I was later given Yellow and Gold.) My mom also bought me a Sega Genesis at garage sale. I went through at least 3 of them.

As for the first game I bought? I honestly can't remember. I'm assuming it was Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, but it could have very well been Dragon Ball Z Budokai or The Legacy of Goku II.

The first handheld I bought with my own money was the Nintendo DS while the first console I bought was the Nintendo Wii

ok sunny

Awards
My first console was a PlayStation2 (My first handheld was a Gameboy: Advanced) back in 2003. I played the turd out of it back then. That is until it got destroyed in 2012 (Hurricane). I had a lot of memories with that console...

My first game I had was Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom. That game was seriously the shit. But the first BIG console game I had gotten was KH2 lol. Ironic much? Either way, I had a lot of games in my time, including Crash Bandicoot hahaha

I would like to think the first game I had bought alone was a game for my DS Light... I would like to say it was Pokemon: Platinum Verson. It was either that or KH2.

I'm usually into Fighters and RPGs. But I like MMORPGs and Action-Adventure too.

-Anything I forgot? I want to know about it!
The only consoles and handhelds I ever had in order...
> 2 Gameboy: Advances
> The PlayStation2
> 2 Nintendo DS: Light
> Wii
> Nintendo DSi (my sister's)
> Nintendo 3DS (Mine)
> The PlayStation3
> Nintendo 2DS (My Brother's)

Sdog

Awards
I've been playing games as long as I remember, gaming is pretty much one of the drivers for me learning to read (thanks pokemon =D). I distinctly remember Super Mario 64, Pokemon red, SSB 64, and Spiderman 1 on ps1 the most when I try to recall my early gaming days, though Spidey came a bit later I played the smack outta the demo disk that came before.

It wasn't just I but my father who was into gaming as well so he's the one I have to thank for my now addiction and passion when it comes to the stuff. And being an only child helps a bit when I wanted a turn on the console =p.

Ironically enough the first game I bought with my own money was the first Kingdom Hearts, I think after my mom bought me the first Halo she refused after that unless a special occasion xD.

My first system I bought with my own money was probably my ps3 back in 2012 after I acquired my job at Gamestop, then shortly selling it after the unveiling of the ps4. It was before KH 1.5 remix was even a thing =(.

I've never had a favored genre exactly but always leaned towards 3rd person action adventure or anything with a great narrative, even shooters at that.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I forget what store it was in the mall (because I was like 3-4 years old and the branch is probably now out of business), but the way I found Putt Putt goes to the Moon was through this toy store that sold Thomas the Tank Engine trains and railroad pieces (which I was addicted to wholeheartedly) and they also had computers with point-and-click games on them.

It's one of my favorite memories as a kid. Malls suck nowadays. All Gamestop has are bad Playstation Move and Kinect games. It's awful.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
You all have some really great gaming origins. I'm a little jealous of those Nintendo fans since I never really got to experience the N64 phenomenon apart from this one time when I was about four, I played a level of some Mario game and died.

I think I actually started out on the PS1/Gameboy Color (mine was the see-through purple with a chunky rechargeable battery pack that stopped working after a while). I had a PS1 at my ma's house that I shared with my sister and we played stuff like Crash, Spyro and Croc. Our friend also had the same games so whenever we went over there sometimes I would play it there as well. Eventually I got my own and my uncle chipped it so I could play the games he burned to disc for me. I remember 101 Dalmatians in particular as well as The Philosopher's Stone. Lol, once I got so mad at not being able to collect all the Galleons on the cart level in Gringotts that I threw my controller across the room and cried? Embarrassing. Other than that I played Pokémon... obsessively. Yellow was my first game and for some reason I had a level 100 Raticate which was my prized Pokémon??? Idk why.

After that I got a PS2 for Christmas, then a GBA, later a GB SP, a DS Lite, a 360. At one point I owned a PSP that I got only to play BBS and after that I shrugged it off and tried to play some FF games but never really got into the series. I now have a 3DS that I use occasionally to play stuff like Pokémon/ACNL/KH/Layton. Mostly I use the 360 (like, my library is huge). But, yeah. My first major console was the fat PS2 and it really got me heavily into gaming. My first major console game was Kingdom Hearts, after that it was Devil May Cry. Don't really like KH anymore but I still really enjoy DMC so it's a win.

Speaking of which, the first game I bought for myself was either DMC or KH. I had actually been introduced to them both one night while staying at my aunt's. She was back then into casual gaming and she showed me her progress on KH (she was somewhere in Agrabah, the tiger cave I think), and I recalled having watched the trailer for the game on a PS2 demo disc some years prior. So I was definitely interested in that. DMC, I can't really recall if my interest was sudden. I think DMC2 may have been out at that point but I'm not sure. All I know is that I got my hands on DMC3 somehow and, like... Yeah. Still my favourite video game ever.

At the moment I play a wide range of games. I like stuff you can get on the Arcade (like ilomilo, Brothers, The Bridge, The Cave) and I've bought a few things off there, especially puzzler games like the ones listed above. I'm also into sandbox stuff like GTA5/Watch Dogs/Skyrim/FC3/AC. Hoooly crap, I loved Oblivion and Skyrim. I never really got into fighters or racing games, though I do like driving aspects of games. JRPGs/RPGs aren't really my thing unless you count FF13/FF13-2 which I really liked (giving LR a pass). I usually like hack n' slash stuff which is why I love DMC so much (in both incarnations) and quite enjoyed Bayonetta. So I'll literally play anything.

I also wonder if anyone played Heart of Darkness on the PS1. LOL. Stupidly hard kid's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back