• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Your Opinion on FFXIII-2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisceanreve

I know this is kinda old, but I started the game a little while ago and am really enjoying it so far! People seem to have mixed opinions. I heard it's the best one of the trilogy (I'm assuming it's not going to go further than Lightning Returns and remain a trilogy?).
I love Serah as the protagonist and I think she is hilarious XD Her live triggers are the best haha
I also like the way the characters interact in this game and the time travel aspect is interesting.
Well, that's just my general opinion on it. What do you guys think?
(Also, any favorite lines? The dialogue is the best XD)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The only thing I liked about FF13-2 was the villain. Easily one of the best and memorable FF villains since Sephiroth.

Aside from that, I thought the game was pretty lackluster. Didn't care much for the main characters or their story. And the ending was just laughable.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Going in I actually enjoyed it cause its' gameplay was just that much better than FF13's which I loathed greatly. Though like Swoosh what little joy I found in it or the trilogy was shattered the moment I seen the ending.

Didn't even bother with Lighting Returns cause of it. Had no interest in Lightning or the others by that point.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Haha, I hate the Lightning Saga but XIII-2 is probably my favorite out of the three. The gameplay is a lot more refined than XIII's, and I'm probably going to clock 70 hours once I platinum it.

I really dislike the villain in it. I like Caius as a character. He has plenty of layers and motivations but his reasoning is extremely flawed and despite his constant presence throughout the game, he never feels extremely menacing or like he should be feared as an antagonist. Trying to destroy time itself made him a threat that needed to be taken out, and he was very important to Noel and all of the Yeuls in time, but I can't get over how illogical he was...but that is what happens when you let emotions guide your decisions.

As for Serah and Noel, I really did enjoy them. They build a fast friendship, and do grow-up a bit throughout the game, but their development is very limited. They start the game hopelessly optimistic and end the game hopelessly optimistic until Serah dies as "New World" continues to play and chaos floods into the visible realm haha and even with the brief moments where they lose hope, I feel like they never overcame any personal struggles and instead just kept moving past them to try and reach their goals. It's not a bad thing.

My major complaints lie in the fact that they despite how much we see Noel, Caius, and the Yeuls, we really learn so little about them. Conveniently Noel is forgetting his life, Caius is now an asshole, and their Yeul is dead, so there aren't many chances to learn about them but rather their importance to the story and conflict. We get the simple rundown that Noel lives during the end of days as the last human, Caius was his mentor, and Noel was in love with his Yeul & Caius loved all of the Yeuls. I just wanted a bit more.

Also time paradoxes should not be the reason for everything. And that they didn't give us that Snow racing DLC that they wanted to make. And the bullshit that is the Requiem of the Goddess being DLC wtf stick that shit in the game.

Also that ending was wholly unnecessary. I still laugh about it two years later. (and a few days later since I actually finished the game this week.)

It's like a 7.5 on my list. I would probably not play again, ever, and immediately after I platinum it I'm selling it. 8D

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I could never finished FFXIII and, although I'm fighting to complete it, I'm not that interested in Lightning Returns either. But FFXIII-2 is definitely my favorite of the FFXIII series. It's one of the only Final Fantasy games that I've completed (yes i'm a loser sob), and it's one of my all-time favorite games. I really enjoyed the gameplay (from what I played in FFXIII, the sequel did a much better job with the battle system), I LOVED the characters (especially Noel and Serah!), and I really enjoyed the soundtrack. (I know people do hate the soundtrack, but I'm really glad that they did something different! It's definitely one of my favorite game soundtracks~)

I agree with Arielle, though: the ending was really unnecessary. When I finished it, I was kinda like "WAT. WAT THE SHIT" but, looking back on it now, it was pretty unnecessary haha. They had one scene about the possibility of Serah getting hurt because of what they were doing (I forgot exactly what they said sorries :T), and then whoops, she's dead! It was ridiculous. It was only there as an excuse to do Lightning Returns, which is stupid, but anywho~

But yeah, I love this game. So much. ugh ;A; It does have a lot of faults, but it's so freakin' fun and I love it <3 (I wish Lightning Returns was just as good, but I guess I don't like it as much because Lightning is the main character...)

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Boring for the most part. I was practically falling asleep while I played, and just zoned out through most of the regular battles. There were only a few battles I had to retry a couple of times, and by few I mean like 6. It's pretty easy to end up overleveled, which makes any small challenge the games gives you easy to overcome. Especially since a few roles like SAB, and SYN become unnecessary to use; save for maybe a few occasions.

Even Yomi, who was challenging for dumb reasons, ends up being almost a trivial fight at one point. I think I was watching a livestream when I defeated him so I wasn't even paying much attention to the fight.

As for the story, well, lol

WanPisu

Awards
The gameplay was more enjoyable than in XIII and some of the areas you go to don't look too bad but it fell flat because of the very uninteresting, to say the least, story. I guess the gameplay is the only thing sequels can get right most of the time.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
FFXIII-2 had the better gameplay in my opinion, however i agree that Cauis lacked a logical point in destroying all of time, and was not as menacing as he should have been (Just to add on the hype of Sephiroth....i really don't understand it....he literally did nothing in FF7 until the end...the real villain was Jenova).

FFXIII had moments that were great, but the game overall didn't get good until near the end. However Barthandelus was a more menacing villain, and yet the end goal was still kind of whack.

Lightning Returns was just a terrible idea...

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Master Spockanort does a really good job of reviewing the game. I do agree with her on the most part. Especially the fact that XIII-2 is probably the best one on the trilogy.

To make it short, XIII-2 has various nice JRPG elements and it's actually kinda exciting and fun to play. However, I kept feeling that it could've been such a better game had it had better writing and at least an extra 6-12 months in the oven to improve the graphics and make it a more refined and stable game.

The writing and storytelling in the Toriyama-directed games is usually hardly any good, so if he's going to helm another FF game, then I hope he gets joined by talented storytellers who could truly take care of that department for him.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's a modern day FFV. You play it for the awesome gameplay. The story is kind of meh, although Noel, Caius and Yeul are all great characters (that really should have been saved for a better plot in a different game). It's actually my fifth favourite game in the entire series simply because I had so much fun playing it, despite the stupid plot and all. The soundtrack is also full of amazing tunes, like Caius' theme.

KHRULER

Awards
I liked it.I dont get why people hate it and thought the ending theme didn't go with the ending.It actually does if you listen closely.

BagelBreath

Awards
I had a hard time getting into XIII-2, I bought it shortly after it's release, and beat the game just before LR release date.
The game was alright but I had no desire to finish the game, especially after hearing so much about the terrible ending, and only finished it because the trailers and stuff made LR seem pretty awesome. I enjoyed the first one more than I did any of it's sequels.

Shasta

Awards
I liked it.I dont get why people hate it and thought the ending theme didn't go with the ending.It actually does if you listen closely.
I'm actually not sure if I posted that it did somewhere on a different thread or not, but the ending theme does go perfectly with the end of the game, and ties in with Lightning Returns rather nicely, even if the two coincidentally have absolutely nothing to do with each other. However, you can make those both themes for Serah and Lightning respectively due to the underlying tone that XIII-2 and Lightning Returns sets.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
1. Never beat it. Got stuck on Final Caius' first phase. Having max leveled at least 1 role on each protag, I looked to ways of getting stronger pets. Could never beat any of the DLC bosses or 5-star the Lightning DLC so I've basically given up.

2. Which, yeah, this game was a cakewalk for me until it SPIKED hard at the endgame.

3. I do like how some of the gameplay changes feels like they went out of their way to accommodate my personals beefs with XIII. "Gee, I actually get money for killing monsters? & new weapons in shops are progressively stronger? What novel concepts Square!"

4. Pro: Serah as main character
Con: the realization she beat Kairi & Mikoto to the punch

5. Also con: Snow's entire role in this. Sure I find the guy obnoxious in XIII but goddamn they weren't even trying!

6. Granted, between that & the indirect LightningxHope sinking, Farroncest is pretty much the one true ship of FF13 at this point. Maybe Light could've defrosted Serah in the 1st game with the Elsa method.

7. The altered XIII ending in XIII-2 is certainly a good hook to get the player into the time travel stuff right away.

8. Why must every monster in the game have a name that looks more like random keyboard mashing than a real word?

9. *watches Curtain Call preview* Oooohhhhhh, so that's what Caius' sword was suppose to look like! Still a stupid design.

10. Requiem of the Godess is genius but evil. It's evil genius. I actually enjoyed it on the basis of Square's massive balls for going ahead with game design that absurd.

11. Although that enjoyment faded with Requiem's ending. It's been a couple of years & I'm pretty sure Lightning's STILL talking!

Overall, I liked it far more than the perpetually frustrating XIII. Which makes my having beaten XIII & not XIII-2 rather perplexing.

morgancb35

I was totally addicted to this game and loved how you could choose some of the ways serah reacted towards some conversations. The music was awesome too!!

Pisceanreve

OMG GUYS I JUST GOT THE ENDING!!!!!

I didn't think anything about it was poorly written so why the criticism?
So now another chunk of my life will be taken up by Lightning Returns, I presume? *sigh*

But I just loved the ending portion and the music and the characters and and and...I just quite liked this game, overall

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
OMG GUYS I JUST GOT THE ENDING!!!!!

I didn't think anything about it was poorly written so why the criticism?
So now another chunk of my life will be taken up by Lightning Returns, I presume? *sigh*

But I just loved the ending portion and the music and the characters and and and...I just quite liked this game, overall

Good for you, then!

I suppose you will be deep in with LRFF. It's, conceptually, an interesting take on blending ATB + action gameplay together. If you REALLY like Lightning, you'll most likely enjoy LRFF.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I wanna play the third one. I also don't understand the hate, exactly. It's a game. It's got flaws. It's Final Fantasy, so it's downright WEIRD. I know people's REASONS for hating it, but I just don't share them.

I'm gonna risk my butt and say, "I liked it!"

Pisceanreve

Good for you, then!

I suppose you will be deep in with LRFF. It's, conceptually, an interesting take on blending ATB + action gameplay together. If you REALLY like Lightning, you'll most likely enjoy LRFF.

Hmm...I like Lightning as a character, definitely, but Serah added the most charm to the game, I think. I'm sad that she won't be featuring as much in LR T.T
Although looking back on my comment, I think that the plot wasn't amazing exactly, but I don't think anything was truly terrible, I guess?
I heard LR is all side-quests basically :/ But the opening trailer looked really interesting (and graphics... *.*) and I'm intrigued by Lumina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back