• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Your Best Stuff of 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Let's face it, 2016 blew. It blew chunks. Big, flaming chunks that burned everything we loved and cared about down around us as baby animals cried.

But, that also lead something else for a lot of us... ESCAPISM!

What were the best things that you watched, read, and listened to this year that helped you escape from the awfulness that was 2016?

For me there were some pretty good movies this year. There were some good Marvel movies, a new Harry Potter, and ending on a really strong note with Rogue One.
Comics and manga probably dominated my entertainment the most though with DC's big Rebirth relaunch, and some good stuff from Shonen Jump.
Television suffered the most, with only a couple of shows and football being what I've primarily watched, and unintentionally dropping other shows due to changing time slots. Most, if not over 90% of the content I watch has primarily come from Youtube and Crunchyroll (JoJo) this year.
I've also given up on staying current on what new music gets released and mainly just listen to podcasts in my car if I'm going out anywhere.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Movie-wise there wasn't a whole lot compared to what normally resonates with me. There's still a few films I've yet to see, namely The Arrival, but my favorite films this year were Captain America Civil War, Zootopia, and Moana. They aren't quite the blockbuster dramas that typically get me, but I thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless.

As for television, I pretty much stuck with Netflix-exclusives this year. Bloodline's second season and Luke Cage were highlights. I just recently got into Black Mirror, and that was fantastic as well.

I've been slacking on the reading side of things this year, and that's one of the biggest things I want to get back into in 2017. Throughout the year, YouTube has probably provided me with more entertainment than everything else combined. I'm hoping we get much more in terms of outstanding content in 2017 from all media.

Spem

Awards
This year had a plenty of good movies like The Jungle Book, Rogue One, Deadpool, Dr.Strange... My favorite of them sure was "The Jungle Book", the visual effects were stunning! Unfortunately, I didn't watched some good movies (I guess they were good) such as Civil War, Batman vs Superman, Zootopia, La La Land and Moana (Although this last one didn't premier here yet). I watched Fantastic Beasts too, but I did not like it so much... I don't know, it gave me the sensation that something was missing.

I didn't watch much series this whole year... I tried to watch Daredevil, Vikings and Stranger Things, but it didn't catch me at all, so I just left it behind. Same with animes. I think the only thing I saw in TV was sports and news. About reading, I did it more than I used past years... Some books like "The Three Body Problem" (Cixin Liu) and "Foundation" (Isaac Asimov) were really enjoyable.

2017 seems to be a great year in terms of movies... Star Wars, Beauty and the Beast, Spiderman, Blade Runner 2...

Muke

whatever
Awards
Movie-wise I was honestly disappointed by many movies.
I read Boy7 and woow was I impressed!

Don't really know what else to add in

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Havent seen a lotta movies this year so I'll say Deadpool. and Moana, probably, if I manage to watch it while itd still 20q6. I bet I'll love it.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Deadpool, Civil War, and Rogue One were some of my favourites from this year. I'm sure there were others, but those three stand out the most to me movie wise. Zootopia was pretty rad too, in all honesty.

TV Show Wise, I really loved Stranger Things and Westworld.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Movies I'd say Zootopia, Captain America Civil War, and X Men Apocalypse. Shows I'd say Arrow, Flash, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Agents of Shield, Gotham, Fringe, Eureka, and Legends of Tomorrow. Books I'd say the complete series of Maximum Ride, Maze Runner, The Giver, Amulet series, Sunny Side Up, and The Lesson Before Dying. What I liked listening was Skillet's new album which I'm in love with, Linkin Park's new and old songs, some of Three Days Grace's new songs (but not as much as the older songs such as Animal I Have Become), Black Veil Brides' older songs like Fallen Angels, Within Temptation's older songs, Evanescene's older songs like Bring Me To Life and Call Me When You're Sober, some of Disturbed's songs, some Breaking Benjamin, and listened to my fellow members in Marching Band with performing music like Smoke on the Water and Night on Bald Mountain which is very familiar if you've watched Fantasia or played KH1 or DDD.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The few films I really liked this year were Deadpool, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Suicide Squad, and Star Trek Beyond. However, I still need to see Star Wars: Rogue One. (Which will most likely fall into the list somewhere too.) And I'm sorry if Dr. Strange doesn't make the list. So please put down the pitch forks and knives. xD I did enjoy it. But it wasn't a favorite movie of mine.

Television Show: The Flash season three. I liked how season three has gone so far, and it's worth keeping up with. I might pick back up West World because, I did enjoy what I was watching despite some of it being slow.

Whereas Manga is a much longer list: Black Clover, Food Wars, JoJo: Bizarre Adventure, Promised Neverland, One Piece, My Hero Academia, Black Butler, World Trigger, and One Punch Man. Of course, I kept up with Nisekoi and Bleach until they came to an end. Thank goodness, cause Bleach needed to end. And Nisekoi finally made the match to its harem despite having a semi good yet crappy ending.

Anime Movie of the year is Kimi no na Wa. Which brought me to tears and definitely deserves making so much money despite all of the jealous competition that's been complaining about it. Anime Shows that were my source of entertainment this year: Hana saku Iroha, Food Wars, JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Unbreakable, and Yuri On Ice!!

Web Shows: RWBY season four and Camp Camp.I'm still keeping up with RWBY, cause it's no where near done yet. xD Camp Camp finished before RWBY started. I'm not sure if it'll have another season or not. However, I dropped Red vs Blue season 14. I liked certain episodes, but I didn't care enough to keep up with it cause it wasn't a major story involved one.

And I can't list all of the books because, there's simply too many of them that I loved reading this year! Honorable mentions: Gathering of Shadows (A Darker Shade of Magic series), The Lost Hero (Percy Jackson series), The Queen of the Tearling (series), A Court of Mist and Fury (series), and A Gathering of Shadows (A Throne of Glass series.)

I'm not sure what I'll be keeping up with in 2017.

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Yuri on Ice was the best thing to come out of 2016 for me. I also really liked 91 Days and Mob Psycho 100. Picked Tokyo Ghoul back up and the recent chapters have been pretty good so I'm looking forward to more of that this year.

That's all I guess, everything else I've watched or read this year wasn't memorable enough.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Best things to come out of 2016 for me:

Books:
-Finally started reading Pierce Brown's dystopian sci-fi epic Red Rising and was completely hooked. Bought the entire trilogy the day after Christmas. So excited for the sequel seriesIron Gold and the Sons of Ares prequel comics.
-Rebel Genius, the debut novel of Avatar: The Last Airbender co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino had me hooked from the first page. Everything about this world just grabbed me by the shirt and wouldn't let go.
-Scythe by Neal Shusterman. Neal has a habit of creating intriguing and immersive worlds that just suck readers in, like hisUnwind series that I'm also obsessed with.
-Discovered another great sci-fi series, The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu.

Comics:
-Saga by Brian K. Vaughan continued to be as beautiful and amazing as ever.
-Discovered the husband & wife self-publishing indie comics team Comfort Love and Adam Withers and prompty fell in love with their work. Rainbow in the Dark and The Uniques are some of my favorite comic series.

Movies:
-Captain America: Civil War was amazing, as was Doctor Strange.
-Despite the generally negative critical and audience reactions, I loved Suicide Squad. Was it a perfect movie? No. But despite its flaws, I enjoyed it.
-Rogue One was fantastic
-Similarly to Suicide Squad, I enjoyed the Assassin's Creed movie in spite of its flaws.
-Kubo and the Two Strings was simply beautiful
-Finding Dory managed to make me cry in the first five minutes. (something Pixar excels at doing)

TV Shows:
-Got hooked on Voltron: Legendary Defender. Wasn't originally interested in the series but decided to give it a shot one day out of boredom and loved it. Finished the entire season in 3 days.
-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was awesome as always, from the second half of Season 3 to the first half of Season four (and I was figuratively jumping for joy that FitzSimmons are finally together after two and a half seasons of will-they-won't-they)
-Star Wars Rebels topped their introduction of Ahsoka, Maul, and Vader by bringing in Grand Admiral Thrawn.
-Young Justice being renewed for Season 3 against all odds.

Video Games:
-Release date for KH 2.8 finally confirmed
-Finally got a hold of The World Ends With You and loved it.
-Managed to save up enough money for a PS4 so I could play 2.8 when it comes out.
-The announcement of the 1.5 and 2.5 HD remixes being re-released for PS4

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
I don't get it. Aside from the election, 2016 was a great year for me. If we had been talking of 2015 before October, I might understand. But I don't get this 2016 hate at all.

My favorite movie (note: I did not watch many) that I watched in 2016 was Zootopia. Really funny to watch it in the context of the rise of Donald Trump. It just felt so timely. Some people have called it too blatant, but I say this culture needs blatant because it still doesn't get it.

My favorite anime that I watched in 2016 was Hunter x Hunter 2011. Not a 2016 title by any means, of course. I put off watching this anime for so long, because it looked like another cutesy Shonen. I love some Shonen (One Piece, JJBA, Gurren Lagann) but many like Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, and Reborn! fall horribly short. I expected a light Shonen that I could stagger out over a long amount of time (it has 150 episodes or something). My mind was kind of blown. Especially with that last major arc. Wow. What a great series.

Video games: Well, much later than the rest of the world, I discovered the Ace Attorney series. I played through the end of Duel Destinies. I enjoyed the original trilogy the most, so those three would be my favorites. It was a pretty dry year in regards to releases of new games. There was Pokemon Sun/Moon. I thought it was pretty good, but I also dropped it after finishing the post-game much faster than any Pokemon game before. I didn't even complete the post-game quests. That's how much motivation I lost, and that has never happened for a Pokemon game before.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
I don't get it. Aside from the election, 2016 was a great year for me. If we had been talking of 2015 before October, I might understand. But I don't get this 2016 hate at all.

From what I've seen, the 2016 hate comes from 3 main things: the election, the craziness that came with it, and the lengthy string of celebrity deaths.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
From what I've seen, the 2016 hate comes from 3 main things: the election, the craziness that came with it, and the lengthy string of celebrity deaths.

And here we are in 2017 and I've already seen two celebrity deaths in the last few days. It had nothing to do with the year being 2016.

The results of the election I can understand. But in that regard it should be 2017 we should be afraid of, not 2016.

Still, aside from the results of the election, it was a fantastic year for me. A year that really turned my life around.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Book: What are those
Movies: Star Wars, Fantastic Beasts
TV Shows: Stranger Things
Games: Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter Generations

Malla

I don't read new books or watch TV a lot, but I liked the anime Erased. It had a nice balance of darkness and light and wasn't stretched out too long. Best movie I saw was La La Land. Went straight to my top5 musicals. Movies I'd still like to see are Civil War, Moana and Zootopia, but I don't think they can beat La La Land. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone were awesome.

Final Fantasy XV, Pokémon Sun Moon and new Final Fantasy XIV patches were what I played most, but all of them had pretty big problems too.. Digimon Cyber Sleuth was a big surprise, but it didn't reach emotional heights of Final Fantasies so I'm not sure if it was the best either. Maybe Bravely Second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back