• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Young Master Xehanort Speculation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Before I start this thread, I just want to say: I enjoy Xehanort as a villain. In no way am I trying to whitewash his crimes or explain away his evil. He makes a good bad guy, a guy that's fun to 'hate' (just like Vanitas).

Based on this last trailer... something is just odd going on with Young Xehanort. I got similar vibes for some of Dream Drop Distance, but it feels as though his 'heart' isn't into this conflict. Not as much as his older self or Xemnas or AnsemSoD.

In Dream Drop Distance, he followed Sora around dropping random bits of knowledge that only confused Sora. I think that was their intention in DDD, confuse Sora's heart and mind, making him easier to possess. But still... even in DDD, YMX seemed to be giving ADVICE. Like he's trying to steer Sora not to his doom, but maybe giving Sora an out or give him a hint to saving himself?

In this latest trailer, it still seems like he's giving advice, the delivery of the lines sounds so passive and without malice. Maybe it's because YMX is so confident and haughty so he isn't worried about Sora whatsoever? Maybe it's not advice at all and he's just trying to push Sora to his doom just like in DDD?

His intensions seem sketchy, and his eyes being silver/grey in the new opening leaves me with more... sketchiness. What do you think? Am I overthinking it?

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I had trouble wording this but my idea was YX compared to SOD/Xemnas hasn't done anything too bad to Sora. In the series, Sora has been shown to be quite gullible/trustworthy to a fault so he will probably be more likely to believe what YX tells him compared to other bad guys.

So YX can do the task of "leading him" with advice more effectively than can bad guys that Sora actually dislikes like SOD/Xemnas who he will just blow off.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
One thing I can say is that no matter where specifically Young Nort stands on the "evilness" scale the general statements shown in the trailer in the BH6 world are true no matter how one twists it.

Wielding great power, regardless which type, recklessly (or foolishly, as YX says) will lead to a high price be paid, possibly not only by the wielder of said power but also those close to him.

This is because to truly and effective wield any power you first need to understand it and know its limits, conditions and possible side effects.
Sora is generally the type to just jump in and think things through later, which the villains have already used more than once to lead him indirectly helping them despite all best intentions.
YX wording things like this as a sort of indirect warning are possible when one thinks also about during his chess game with Eraqus he hopes that he might be surprised when Eraqus mentions there being more to light than initially meets the eye.

It might not be because he actually wants to help Sora, but in his usual curiosity surfacing he might be interested to see if Sora can overcome his flaws despite all yet this still not meaning he'd give in or has his confidence in getting his ambitions seen through.
He would then be looking for something entertaining to pass the time, not actively helping the hero.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
My interpretation is that Young Xehanort wants Sora to be aware of the hearts connected to his in order for Sora to trigger memories of Xion, which in turn help the Seekers of Darkness select Xion as their final vessel.

Young Xehanort did mention that he visited Toy Box to understand how hearts work in that world. Maybe the concept of toys sparks the initial idea.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
My interpretation is that Young Xehanort wants Sora to be aware of the hearts connected to his in order for Sora to trigger memories of Xion, which in turn help the Seekers of Darkness select Xion as their final vessel.

Young Xehanort did mention that he visited Toy Box to understand how hearts work in that world. Maybe the concept of toys sparks the initial idea.

It's not just Xion though.
When in Toybox Young Xehanort says "find the hearts connected to yours" he's speaking in plural and during the confrontation scene with Ansem and Xemnas in Twilight Town Xemnas does say they would appreciate Roxas' return.

Add on top of this the information from 0.2 we got from Terra that Xehanort is still looking for Ventus so it is possible that he's after all the hearts inside Sora for some reason.

Their suffering and pain was already used in DDD to try and weaken Sora's own heart and it worked like a charm so Xehanort may still be up that road.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
No I think Kira is right about this plus if you look at this shot none of the cable town look destroyed because if the keyblade war did take place the city would be ruins

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
It's definitely feasible for Young Xehanort to be the least corrupt of those considered "primarily" Xehanort (Ansem, Xemnas, MX). The others have accepted their traversed paths, but Young Xehanort may be going along with the plan because his future as MX, the orchestrator of these events, had already been set.

In other words, it was not Destiny Islands that was his prison, but destiny itself.

Hirokey123

Awards
I mean I think part of understanding Young Xehanort's character here requires us to look at it through his perspective. It's fitting that he was introduced in a game about dreams because for all intents and purposes this is basically just a big dream for him. From his perspective the people he's talking to and the places he is visiting aren't truly real, because in his own time they don't exist yet or at least not in this form. It's hard to be invested in a bunch of people that for all intents and purposes might as well be figments of your imagination. Young Xehanort doesn't need to worry about any consequences he might suffer because he knows time can't be change, the fact is he already grew up and lived a long life meaning YX Is free to do or say whatever he wants while in the future since he knows he ultimately returns unharmed.

The same goes for him working for the Xehanorts, he doesn't need to worry about understanding or knowing anything because it's all relative. Inevitably he will return to his own time to grow into all these other selves and in the process that's when he'll learn all the same things they know and share the same feelings they do. So there is little reason to concern or doubt anything they do, because he will inevitably become them. Meanwhile Friendships, memories, emotions, anything he makes here will be stolen away from him in the end. Everything is set in stone, his feelings and thoughts are irrelevant to the reality he is experiencing, he's little more than a kid having a very vivid dream and soon he'll wake up safe on his island ready to live out his life.

I think that's exactly why the opening is framed the way it is, with Young Xehanort locked away in a room playing a chess game by himself. His world is so dark, lonely, and small which is a sharp contrast to the trios. Each one of them is seen playing together as a group in the larger and brighter outside, their lives come off so much better. Then Xehanort goes and inserts himself into their stories, he joins with them by proxy of his splinters, and we experience first hand why Young Xehanort is the way he is. Because he rips people apart, views them as pieces in his games, and instead of embrace the larger world he just destroys it making the world smaller so he can make room for the only thing he's interested in which is his chess game.

Whether this means he's just a hopeless smarmy little kid who never grew up and deserves a good smack for being such a prick. Or a pitiful but sympathetic lonely kid who will grow up to be a lonely adult and just needs someone to carve through his walls to show him a better way before he's shut off from the world...I can't say.

Either way Young Xehanort truly has a sucky life and I pity him.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I mean I think part of understanding Young Xehanort's character here requires us to look at it through his perspective. It's fitting that he was introduced in a game about dreams because for all intents and purposes this is basically just a big dream for him. From his perspective the people he's talking to and the places he is visiting aren't truly real, because in his own time they don't exist yet or at least not in this form. It's hard to be invested in a bunch of people that for all intents and purposes might as well be figments of your imagination. Young Xehanort doesn't need to worry about any consequences he might suffer because he knows time can't be change, the fact is he already grew up and lived a long life meaning YX Is free to do or say whatever he wants while in the future since he knows he ultimately returns unharmed.

The same goes for him working for the Xehanorts, he doesn't need to worry about understanding or knowing anything because it's all relative. Inevitably he will return to his own time to grow into all these other selves and in the process that's when he'll learn all the same things they know and share the same feelings they do. So there is little reason to concern or doubt anything they do, because he will inevitably become them. Meanwhile Friendships, memories, emotions, anything he makes here will be stolen away from him in the end. Everything is set in stone, his feelings and thoughts are irrelevant to the reality he is experiencing, he's little more than a kid having a very vivid dream and soon he'll wake up safe on his island ready to live out his life.

I think that's exactly why the opening is framed the way it is, with Young Xehanort locked away in a room playing a chess game by himself. His world is so dark, lonely, and small which is a sharp contrast to the trios. Each one of them is seen playing together as a group in the larger and brighter outside, their lives come off so much better. Then Xehanort goes and inserts himself into their stories, he joins with them by proxy of his splinters, and we experience first hand why Young Xehanort is the way he is. Because he rips people apart, views them as pieces in his games, and instead of embrace the larger world he just destroys it making the world smaller so he can make room for the only thing he's interested in which is his chess game.

Whether this means he's just a hopeless smarmy little kid who never grew up and deserves a good smack for being such a prick. Or a pitiful but sympathetic lonely kid who will grow up to be a lonely adult and just needs someone to carve through his walls to show him a better way before he's shut off from the world...I can't say.

Either way Young Xehanort truly has a sucky life and I pity him.

So KH3 will kinda redeem Xehanort in some way, but still punish him for being one big mad scientist that got mad over the curiosity of history and power?

Tempo

Awards
you're totally right about the way he uttered the "hearts connected to yours" line. it made me start to wonder if there's a possibility for young xehanort himself to somehow break the time loop he's expected to grow into. maybe spending time with his older selves made him start to question why he was going along with everything in the first place just because it was his "destiny". i definitely don't want the "possessed xehanort" theory to come true because that would just be too much, but like. maybe he's grown scared and horrified at the kind of person he'll grow up to be and the things he's expected to do. he hears about his older self murdering his own friend in cold blood, and he's subtly trying to whisper to sora that he doesn't want to be a part of this anymore, that he wants out. and suddenly, he's just another scared child, just a helpless cult victim.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
For me personally it's very ambiguous when it comes to Young Xehanort. He comes from a point in time before specific choices were made that truly harmed others, but I don't think for a moment he's shocked by what he's to become. I think of it as he was presented with the future events and choices he would make by his future selves (Master Xehanort/Ansem SoD or hell all of them perhaps) and came to accept them as necessary in order to gain what he's striving for in his youth. What strikes me though is in the opening cinematic is the awe in his eyes, clearly from the very beginning he already accepted he'd do whatever it takes to reach the heavens. But perhaps you're right as well. Perhaps he still wants to reach that destination without crushing innocence to get there or perhaps he pities Sora's struggle and situation as he hasn't lost regard for others like his older self has yet. Who knows, but I am excited to see what happens.

Squall Strife

There is conflict in young Xehanort & that goes back to the intro of kh3 with his eyes. The control of darkness, or whoever it is, doesn't have quite the stronghold in his heart compared to his older self. But alas this is the path that he took, young Xehnort realized this & he's no choice but to play his part that's been given to him.

redcrown

Awards
YX watching the meteors/stars coming from the sky with wide innocent eyes in the trailer reminded me a lot of a visually similar scene in Howl's Moving Castle; where Howl is shown as a child witnessing the falling stars and accepts/absorbs Calcifer into his heart and therein "loses" his heart to the demon.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
YX watching the meteors/stars coming from the sky with wide innocent eyes in the trailer reminded me a lot of a visually similar scene in Howl's Moving Castle; where Howl is shown as a child witnessing the falling stars and accepts/absorbs Calcifer into his heart and therein "loses" his heart to the demon.

Now that you mention it wasn't Ventus stargazing too in the Prologue of BBS just like Xehanort is doing here?

And that purple glowing star which gets his attention...if I recall correctly people (or rather their hearts) can be represented by glowing stars displayed in the sky which is shown also in BBS, with a orange colored star for Terra, a blue one for Aqua and a green one for Ventus.

Does that mean this purple star is also representing a heart? Possibly one Xehanort connects with?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Now that you mention it wasn't Ventus stargazing too in the Prologue of BBS just like Xehanort is doing here?

And that purple glowing star which gets his attention...if I recall correctly people (or rather their hearts) can be represented by glowing stars displayed in the sky which is shown also in BBS, with a orange colored star for Terra, a blue one for Aqua and a green one for Ventus.

Does that mean this purple star is also representing a heart? Possibly one Xehanort connects with?

Good observation there, Seph. Maybe this heart he connected his to is the one telling him all about the KHx lore. Xehanort knows too much about things he wasn't taught by his Master nor Eraqus. Even Eraqus himself is surprised.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
what if tis hearts that connected to young xehanort was this darkness person in ux

Zaplen14

I was worried about this plot but I actually REALLY want there to be a point where young Xehanort is a completely different individual than his older self.
In a previous interview it was stated that things change as you get older (specifically friendships), and I think this concept could relay to YX.
From personal experience I can state that regardless of what I expected for my older self, I would make entirely different decisions today than when I was in a much younger age. Not even to the point of "oh, well you mature when you get older." More or less the idea of, "I liked Sora when I was 10, I like Riku at 26". It just seems to fit that our personalities and goals change through time, and that it would make more sense for YX to see his older self and not like where he ended up.

Last edited:

Zaplen14

.....anddd I double posted.
Sorry guys.
(Tried to delete one of them, but didnt know how :/)

For me personally it's very ambiguous when it comes to Young Xehanort. He comes from a point in time before specific choices were made that truly harmed others, but I don't think for a moment he's shocked by what he's to become. I think of it as he was presented with the future events and choices he would make by his future selves (Master Xehanort/Ansem SoD or hell all of them perhaps) and came to accept them as necessary in order to gain what he's striving for in his youth. What strikes me though is in the opening cinematic is the awe in his eyes, clearly from the very beginning he already accepted he'd do whatever it takes to reach the heavens. But perhaps you're right as well. Perhaps he still wants to reach that destination without crushing innocence to get there or perhaps he pities Sora's struggle and situation as he hasn't lost regard for others like his older self has yet. Who knows, but I am excited to see what happens.

Sorry I didnt read all the way through before I posted, but THIS.
I like this alot.
I assume too that he lost someone that may have ties to Kingdom Hearts (or who's heart resides there), which may have pulled his interest in it.
However maybe as he got older it became less about retrieving a lost friend and more about power as he lost site of his original goal?
Pretty bogus, but I like the depth if it takes that road.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Good observation there, Seph. Maybe this heart he connected his to is the one telling him all about the KHx lore. Xehanort knows too much about things he wasn't taught by his Master nor Eraqus. Even Eraqus himself is surprised.

Ah yes, I like where this chain of thought goes.

I recall there being several discussions around these forums about from where Xehanort gained his immense pool of knowledge which seems to surpass anyone else in the series, a considerable part of which is also considered forbidden knowledge even for Keyblade Masters.

Back in the old days the most common theory was that during the decades he just traveled through the worlds after he left Land of Departure and before he found Ventus he might have found some old forgotten and hidden library somewhere while others suspected that he met someone or something when he decided to no longer use his armor when traveling the Lanes Between.

Yet this new option provides probably the most "KH-esque" variant.

This variant can even be used without having to resort to the often dreaded yet-another-man-behind-the-man scenario as this heart the purple star represents doesn't need to actively be possessing Xehanort, they can also be mutuals and actual allies working together.
Maybe it was also this heart which taught Xehanort how to split your own heart multiple times without resulting in fracturing/injuring it like it was with Ven.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Ah yes, I like where this chain of thought goes.

I recall there being several discussions around these forums about from where Xehanort gained his immense pool of knowledge which seems to surpass anyone else in the series, a considerable part of which is also considered forbidden knowledge even for Keyblade Masters.

Back in the old days the most common theory was that during the decades he just traveled through the worlds after he left Land of Departure and before he found Ventus he might have found some old forgotten and hidden library somewhere while others suspected that he met someone or something when he decided to no longer use his armor when traveling the Lanes Between.

Yet this new option provides probably the most "KH-esque" variant.

This variant can even be used without having to resort to the often dreaded yet-another-man-behind-the-man scenario as this heart the purple star represents doesn't need to actively be possessing Xehanort, they can also be mutuals and actual allies working together.
Maybe it was also this heart which taught Xehanort how to split your own heart multiple times without resulting in fracturing/injuring it like it was with Ven.

We also have to take into consideration the No Name Keyblade. Remember that, in a video, it was shown that the Keyblade was hanging in a room where Xehanort and Eraqus meet. And from the looks of the situation, is as if No Name was a forbidden weapon. Perhaps Keyblade Transformations will play a much more important role besides being a gameplay mechanic. What if the Keyblade can transform because of the strong link between the wielder and the Keyblade? What happens when you link your heart too much to a Keyblade such as No Name, which bears the MoM's all gazing eye? And eye that must obviously transcend time itself?

Also, a bit of a wild speculation:

But what if the contents of the Black Box are the MoM's heart, and he put it there in order for someone to link their heart with his, and access his knowledge in order to protect the worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back