• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Yooka-Laylee | August 2018 | (spiritual successor of Banjo-Kazooie by former Rare staff)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Rf5R8tz.jpg

Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic Games; Kickstarter

Yooka-Laylee is an all-new 3D platformer from the creative talent behind the Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country games. We’ve come together to form Playtonic Games and create a spiritual successor to our most cherished work from the past!

Our new heroes, Yooka (the green bloke with no pants) and Laylee (the wisecracking lady-bat with the big nose) were conceptualised from the ground up for stellar platforming gameplay, created by the same character artist behind the rebooted Donkey Kong family and legendary N64 heroes Banjo and Kazooie.

Using an arsenal of special moves like Yooka’s tongue grapple and Laylee’s tactical sonar blast, players will explore – and expand – gorgeous 3D worlds drawn up by esteemed environment artist Steven Hurst (Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Pinata) and through skill discover the plethora of delicious collectibles hidden within.

So we're finally getting Banjo-Threeie, just with new characters. The nostalgia I'm getting from this though is just so overwhelming.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
Seriously sceptical about this. I'll keep an eye on it though, I'm just not expecting it to be anything amazing like the previous games.

THE MUSIC THOUGH is absolutely beautiful. Is it me, or does jungle world sounds a lot like cloud cuckooland? And omg they got David Wise. At least I already know the music is going to be god tier.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, actually.
I'm still not ultimately sure about funding games on Kickstarter though.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I don't doubt the talent considering the dev team is made up of the folks who made the classic Rare DK games and Banjo-Kazooie games. Keeping an eye on it.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Heard about this yesterday from AlphaOmegaSin's channel. It looks really interesting to say the least. I remember loving Donkey Kong 64 (though I never beat it) and always wanted to play Banjo-Kazzoie, so the fact that this game is catering to that crowd makes me a happy panda instead of a sad one.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I've never played banjo kazooie but I might check this out if it comes to fruition. To longtime fans, you are older and probably more world wise than I am but be very skeptical about this being a kickstarter. Donating doesn't guarantee the game to you or your money and even if it reaches its goal it may not become a real game. This makes me think about a game informer article a few months back, it noted games that received the requested fund and was a total bust, never made it into production (the guy was a youtuber trying to make a sandbox game based on his channel and he knew literally nothing about video games, gravely underestimating the price to make one at 500k), and there is one which is a colossal success in the vein of eve online, garnering roughly half a billion and its taking every dollar that shot over it's goal and years to develop the game in the sake of "fine-tuning it".

however these are veteran devs so there is no harm in being cautiously optimistic.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I've been following this since the start of Playtonic Games and Project Ukulele. I've already donated and am cautiously optimistic about Yooka-Laylee, but something that I should probably point out is that even if the Kickstarter failed, the game was going to be made anyway. The people behind the game have been working on it well before the Kickstarter and had only opened it up to donations so they could include things they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. Now this could be seen as a quick cash grab, but for people like me who were going to buy it regardless, it's a cheaper way to buy the game. $15 for the full game? Hell yeah, son. Another thing I see is how worried people get about backing games on kickstarter. After getting burned a few times with different games, it's not hard to see why people wouldn't want to gamble on this. However, many times this has happened was because the people in charge have yet to fully take the reigns on any project before. Playtonic Games is full of golden age Rare employee and while I admit I have a pair of nostalgia goggles on, they frankly pushed their N64 games passed limits and worked like dogs to set the bar in how many dirty jokes they could sneak pass the radar. ...And to provide good gameplay too, I guess.

I don't remember what the point of me typing all this was, but I've already dug myself into this hole so I might as well keep digging. Hey look, Grant Krikhope and David Wise are making tunes for this! Whoo! I'm looking forward to all the new platforming games that are coming out soon. A Hat in Time, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero, Yooka-Laylee, and others that I'm probably missing. Can't wait, though I really hope this doesn't all just explode in our faces.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I just realized the funding deadline for this game is June 16th, the first day of E3. No way that can merely be a coincidence...

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I just realized the funding deadline for this game is June 16th, the first day of E3. No way that can merely be a coincidence...

"Hurry up & give us money before Rare announces BK3 & renders this KS redundant"

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I love me some platformers, and while I never got around to Banjo and Kazooie, when I first saw the title and pictures I thought it was a blatant rip off haha, glad to see that's not the case. Definitely keeping an eye on this

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Trailer impressions:
+ Loving the graphics.
+ The soundtrack is sooo BK. xD
+ The world is looking biiig.
+ Watching this made me wanna replay both BK games. Dx

This game's villain might either be a witch, or a warlock. xP

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Hahahaha, I would buy this game over whatever Rare shits out any day. Rare is not who they used to be.

Excuse you. They've made some amazing games, such as Generic Kinect Title #32.
That one really moved me. And my arms. Be the controller.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
As someone who never got a chance to play Banjo-Kazooie, this is something I can definitely get behind. I'm not too big on platformers, but that's because I'm not as good in them as a standard WRPG/JRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back