• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Yen Sid’s backstory?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
We have yet to see any sign of backstory for Yen Sid apart from the fact that he somehow knew Master Xehanort’s and Master Erauqs when they were young. The begs the question: if he doesn’t show up in Dark Road, would we get a game where a young yen sid appear and if so how would it happen? My personal theory is that Yen Sid will have a similar situation to master Xehanort where he is the reincarnation of some player based character. A sort of light to the darkness Union X’s player character bring a with Xehanort

okhi12

Awards
I could be wrong but I don't think they'll bother explaining anything about Yen Sid's past when he was young, mainly because Yen Sid is a Disney character with a very specific design and portrayal. He's always appeared as a wise and powerful old man and Square Enix probably has not the creative freedom to redesign him or elaborate on his background as a young man even if it would make sense for him to show up in Dark Road. His main role in the KH series is a supportive one, providing information to the main cast about things they wouldn't be able to know otherwise. For that purpose we get the occasional mentions about his past as a keyblade wielder but that's it. I want to see him in Dark Road, I just think it's not very likely.

My personal theory is that Yen Sid will have a similar situation to master Xehanort where he is the reincarnation of some player based character.
The revelation Xehanort is a reincarnation of the Player is supposed to make him special somehow and Dark Road may explain how that fact ties to his ambitions and who he becomes; it's an important plot point. Yen Sid is not remotely as important to the plot as Xehanort, and I'm not sure Disney would allow for a Disney character to be a reincarnation of a non-Disney one.

A sort of light to the darkness Union X’s player character bring a with Xehanort
The light counterpart to Xehanort's darkness is Eraqus. He's Ephemer's descendant so his ties to the Union X era are there as well. They're friends just like the Player and Ephemer were. There's already a duality between these two, Yen Sid apparently
plays no part in that dynamic, he was just another friend.

Ginalea00

Awards
Yen Sid is meant to be this very wise and formerly powerful keyblade wielder but we know very little of his history or abilities. He basically just sits behind his desk in every game and does NOTHING. KH3 showed that he still has powerful magical abilities, yet he continually sits there and chooses not to help.

Firstly, we don’t know anything about his history as a keyblade master. We are told he is a friend of Eraqus but that’s it. Where was Yen Sid trained? If he was a powerful keyblade wielder, who did he battle and what are his actual accomplishments? What is his relationship with Xehanort? Was Yen Sid involved in the Dark Road stories? We don’t even really know where he comes from - possibly Disney Castle?

Next, we are told he is a retired keyblade wielder. Since when is someone a retired keyblade wielder? Did he retire because of his age? Can he still summon a keyblade? His abilities in KH3 showed he is still a valuable fighter, even if he’s not as strong as he once was. So why retire? Xehanort was very old and still a powerful keyblade wielder - physical ability doesn’t seem as important. Sora was the size of a 10 year old in the first game, Kairi is a weak teenage girl (sorry just being honest), Mickey is tiny, and Xehanort is like 70...so Yen Sid shouldn’t use age as an excuse to retire.

Finally, Yen Sid does nothing to help in the modern games. He sends people on dangerous missions and then just sits at his desk. He didn’t even help train Lea and Kairi and just made Merlin do it. I assumed Yen Sid was old and couldn’t physically contribute, but KH3 showed he has some powerful magic. Same thing with Merlin - they need to be travelling around worlds and using their magic to help out more.

Yen Sid should have been given more importance in the game’s history.

Back