What's new

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts Insider

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ask question

Ask Questions and Get Answers from Our Community

Ask a Mod

Ask Questions from your staff

Contact Staff

If you need additional information or have a concern please contact us.

• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yen Press announces Kingdom Hearts: The Complete Novel Collector's Edition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The_Echo

SENA Hates Him!
Reaction score
Awards
That’s always been one of my pet peeves about the KH games. I never found Sora to be particularly stupid in KH1, CoM, or even parts of KH2 but then they added in that gag with KH2 and it’s only gotten worse. I feel like the series equates being misinformed or behind on new information as “stupid” and instead of allowing Sora to learn this information, the games just go “oh well haha Sora’s simpleminded! He just doesn’t get it!”

The manga and novel series are refreshing because Sora is still humorous but he isn’t humorous because he’s stupid. He’s actually very emotionally intelligent and quick to catch onto things, even if he doesn’t fully understand things.
Maybe it's just me, but no matter how many times I hear others say "Sora's been dumb since X," I just don't see it.
He's no scientist, and he's definitely technologically illiterate, but not once in the last 20 years have I felt he was just plain stupid.

Rydgea

信じているの... ♪
Reaction score
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
That’s always been one of my pet peeves about the KH games. I never found Sora to be particularly stupid in KH1, CoM, or even parts of KH2 but then they added in that gag with KH2 and it’s only gotten worse. I feel like the series equates being misinformed or behind on new information as “stupid” and instead of allowing Sora to learn this information, the games just go “oh well haha Sora’s simpleminded! He just doesn’t get it!”

The manga and novel series are refreshing because Sora is still humorous but he isn’t humorous because he’s stupid. He’s actually very emotionally intelligent and quick to catch onto things, even if he doesn’t fully understand things.

Yes. I suppose it would be different if Sora had always come across one way or the other, but we see a maturity that gets spotty with the later games in the series. Maybe that's boring for some. To me, he was always playful and entertained Donald and Goofy's antics, but he was still more emotionally level-headed, even than Riku back then, and now the roles have reversed. In the manga (can't speak for the novels), his behavior seems more consistent.

Aaand there goes my preorder munnies. Up in a puff of smoke. This just looks too nice to pass up.

bambii

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it's just me, but no matter how many times I hear others say "Sora's been dumb since X," I just don't see it.
He's no scientist, and he's definitely technologically illiterate, but not once in the last 20 years have I felt he was just plain stupid.
I think the issue is more how he’s characterized as a bit dense by other characters, particularly in DDD and KH3. I agree that he’s never actually stupid in any way. Though in DDD (and Coded, for that matter), he comes off a little excessively happy-go-lucky and earnest to a fault, to the extent that it comes off as slightly out of character. Which certainly isn’t the same as idiocy, but the writing sometimes seems to want to conflate those qualities with childishness and lack of discernment. He’s more balanced in KH3 but his friends continue to pick on him, for whatever reason. It’s a bit weird. The writers should take a few more pages out of Amano’s book for sure 😄

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6