• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yen Press announces Kingdom Hearts: The Complete Novel Collector's Edition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
That’s always been one of my pet peeves about the KH games. I never found Sora to be particularly stupid in KH1, CoM, or even parts of KH2 but then they added in that gag with KH2 and it’s only gotten worse. I feel like the series equates being misinformed or behind on new information as “stupid” and instead of allowing Sora to learn this information, the games just go “oh well haha Sora’s simpleminded! He just doesn’t get it!”

The manga and novel series are refreshing because Sora is still humorous but he isn’t humorous because he’s stupid. He’s actually very emotionally intelligent and quick to catch onto things, even if he doesn’t fully understand things.
Maybe it's just me, but no matter how many times I hear others say "Sora's been dumb since X," I just don't see it.
He's no scientist, and he's definitely technologically illiterate, but not once in the last 20 years have I felt he was just plain stupid.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
That’s always been one of my pet peeves about the KH games. I never found Sora to be particularly stupid in KH1, CoM, or even parts of KH2 but then they added in that gag with KH2 and it’s only gotten worse. I feel like the series equates being misinformed or behind on new information as “stupid” and instead of allowing Sora to learn this information, the games just go “oh well haha Sora’s simpleminded! He just doesn’t get it!”

The manga and novel series are refreshing because Sora is still humorous but he isn’t humorous because he’s stupid. He’s actually very emotionally intelligent and quick to catch onto things, even if he doesn’t fully understand things.

Yes. I suppose it would be different if Sora had always come across one way or the other, but we see a maturity that gets spotty with the later games in the series. Maybe that's boring for some. To me, he was always playful and entertained Donald and Goofy's antics, but he was still more emotionally level-headed, even than Riku back then, and now the roles have reversed. In the manga (can't speak for the novels), his behavior seems more consistent.

Aaand there goes my preorder munnies. Up in a puff of smoke. This just looks too nice to pass up.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Maybe it's just me, but no matter how many times I hear others say "Sora's been dumb since X," I just don't see it.
He's no scientist, and he's definitely technologically illiterate, but not once in the last 20 years have I felt he was just plain stupid.
I think the issue is more how he’s characterized as a bit dense by other characters, particularly in DDD and KH3. I agree that he’s never actually stupid in any way. Though in DDD (and Coded, for that matter), he comes off a little excessively happy-go-lucky and earnest to a fault, to the extent that it comes off as slightly out of character. Which certainly isn’t the same as idiocy, but the writing sometimes seems to want to conflate those qualities with childishness and lack of discernment. He’s more balanced in KH3 but his friends continue to pick on him, for whatever reason. It’s a bit weird. The writers should take a few more pages out of Amano’s book for sure 😄

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Man I'm somewhat tempted to get this despite already owning all novels excepts for the KH3 ones

Telin

Awards
I just got the Ultimania book. This looks amazing, and I haven't read any of the novels.

I really hope this thing doesn't sell out as I cant get it this year.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Another notification. Changed again to late December. 🙃

Unsurprisingly, shipping's going to be rough this holiday season, too.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
A Christmas gift arrived early this morning~

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Even out of the slipcase, the book is a hulking wonder. It may be a little cumbersome, but I personally love being weighed down by a big, ol' book. The keychain is merely a trinket; it's not attached to a bookmark, and I certainly wouldn't use it as such unless you want indents on your nice set. We have a fitting Sora-sky blue ribbon for that! Happy to see that it has sewn (or hybrid-sewn) binding as well. The 13 art prints are all Heart Station artworks (seen at Tokyo Sky Tree / Smash Bros. etc). It's lovely, and if they decided to do a hardcover companion of the manga, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I uploaded an album with more images for you guys to check out.

Last edited:

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
A Christmas gift arrived early this morning~

Even out of the slipcase, the book is a hulking wonder. It may be a little cumbersome, but I personally love being weighed down by a big, ol' book. The keychain is merely a trinket; it's not attached to a bookmark, and I certainly wouldn't use it as such unless you want indents on your nice set. We have a fitting Sora-sky blue ribbon for that! Happy to see that it has sewn (or hybrid-sewn) binding as well. The 13 art prints are all Heart Station artworks (seen at Tokyo Sky Tree / Smash Bros. etc). It's lovely, and if they decided to do a hardcover companion of the manga, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I uploaded an album with more images for you guys to check out.

Did they keep that awful spine design or change it? I can't seem to view the album.

But the front cover is all sorts of beautiful.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Did they keep that awful spine design or change it? I can't seem to view the album.

But the front cover is all sorts of beautiful.

Hm, I'm not sure what the prototype spine looked like. What's prominently displayed on their site is actually the case for the book itself. I added some more images to the album, tagged "new".

Anyways, here's the book spine's design:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Is anyone else unable to view the album?

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Hm, I'm not sure what the prototype spine looked like. What's prominently displayed on their site is actually the case for the book itself. I added some more images to the album, tagged "new".

Anyways, here's the book spine's design:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Is anyone else unable to view the album?
They changed it!

This was the original design.
91S418XCsPL.jpg

How om earth would anyone display that garish gradient monstrosity on a shelf. It's why I didn't pre-order it like I did the beautiful Character Files.

Still can't see the album. Where is it located?

Last edited:

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
They changed it!

This was the original design.
View attachment 14661

How om earth would anyone display that garish gradient monstrosity on a shelf. It's why I didn't pre-order it like I did the beautiful Character Files.

Still can't see the album. Where is it located?

What is shown on Yen Press's website is actually the case for the book / art prints and not the omnibus itself. So, the blue spine is technically there, but not on the actual book. Hopefully that helps with your shelving needs.

And here's a direct link to the album if you can't see it above:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
@Rydgea Congrats on getting it! I still need to pick this and the Character Files book up in the future. I still can't believe all the novels are in one package like that! Amazing.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
@Rydgea Congrats on getting it! I still need to pick this and the Character Files book up in the future. I still can't believe all the novels are in one package like that! Amazing.

It's lovely, and the street date is tomorrow for those interested. If Yen ever did proper omnibus forms of the manga, I'd love to see it similarly over-sized with hardcovers. Also, not sure if you've picked it up already, but Dark Horse did translate an Ultimania earlier this year if you haven't checked it out. It's also a hardbound edition unlike the JP version.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It's lovely, and the street date is tomorrow for those interested. If Yen ever did proper omnibus forms of the manga, I'd love to see it similarly over-sized with hardcovers. Also, not sure if you've picked it up already, but Dark Horse did translate an Ultimania earlier this year if you haven't checked it out. It's also a hardbound edition unlike the JP version.
Yes, I was thankfully able to get the Ultimania earlier this year. As a KH collector I want all their books. So 2022 I will put my Clayton gear on and the hunt for the Character Files and the Complete Novel book shall begin. Even if I have to ride a giant Stealth Sneak Heartless to obtain them!

Back