• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Yakuza Series Discussion - Yakuza Kiwami Hitting NA-EU August 29th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Sega has always been real shaky when it comes to talk of releasing the Yakuza games outside of Japan, but the fanbase has always persisted and shown it's support, and so far every mainline entry has managed to find its way overseas. Earlier this month, Sega announced that not only would the newest entry, Yakuza 6, be making it's way to PS4 in North America and Europe in early 2018, but Yakuza Kiwami, the PS4 remake of the original PS2 title will also be making it's way over in 2017.
Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6 Dated for Western Release

[video=youtube;5xThhJ0zltU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xThhJ0zltU[/video]

Also being localized in February 2017 is the prequel to the series Yakuza 0, which takes place 7 years prior to the first game and is a great jumping off point for anyone interested in the series. New fans and old fans alike can step into a young Kazuma Kiryu's shoes and experience the tale of his yakuza origins, as well as play through the yakuza beginnings of his long time rival Majima.

[video=youtube;7NoIEiyhGWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NoIEiyhGWc[/video]​

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
(like no lie, seeing this in the FF section made me laugh)

I'm so hyped! <3 Have 0 preordered and I'm gonna preorder Kiwami and 6 immediately. (Then go buy 2-5 8D)

Max

Staff member
Awards
(like no lie, seeing this in the FF section made me laugh)

I'm so hyped! <3 Have 0 preordered and I'm gonna preorder Kiwami and 6 immediately. (Then go buy 2-5 8D)

*facepalm* Wow, don't ask me how I even managed that.

But yeah, I'm super hyped too! They're playing it off like 6 will be the end (we'll see), but I'm pumped that we've gotten an announcement for all 3 of them without having to play the whole "We'll wait and see how x does before announcing y" game.

3 and 5 were both free for playstation plus at some point (I don't remember if 4 was), but the only one that might be troublesome for people is grabbing a copy of Yakuza 2. I paid 80 bucks for mine a few years back :/

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
When it comes to the localisation, you can thank Atlus for this. Here's why...

Naoto Hiraoka, President of Atlus USA and shareholder of Atlus is also the Senior Vice President of publishing for Sega of America (ever since Sega moved to Irvine in Atlus' offices). Basically, he's one of the shot callers as to what's localised for Sega, and because he's been aiding with so many Atlus title localisations, it's no surprise that Yakuza is getting this much love.

Heck, Sega of America as a whole is more accepting of its Japanese intellectual properties ever since they translated 7th Dragon Code III: VFD.

Last edited:

Max

Staff member
Awards
I actually did not know that about Naota Hiroaka, but wow he's the man. That explains a lot honestly.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
I have never played a Yakuza game before, but I've recently started playing Yakuza 0. I'm having a blast with this game. I thought the game would just be good fun, but it's easily surpassed my expectations.

The city looks beautiful at night. The combat is decently fun, and the takedowns are cool. The voice acting is great. The fact that the game is Japanese makes it feel more engaging. The city feels alive too. The minigames are fun. I have never played mahjong before, but I spent the last 8 years playing mahjong in this game. I still don't have a complete grasp on the rules. The substories are by far one of the best things about this game. They're all pretty varied and well written. Pretending to be a producer was a welcome distraction from busting heads.

This game makes me want to play all the other games in the series.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
When it comes to the localisation, you can thank Atlus for this. Here's why...

Naoto Hiraoka, President of Atlus USA and shareholder of Atlus is also the Senior Vice President of publishing for Sega of America (ever since Sega moved to Irvine in Atlus' offices). Basically, he's one of the shot callers as to what's localised for Sega, and because he's been aiding with so many Atlus title localisations, it's no surprise that Yakuza is getting this much love.

Heck, Sega of America as a whole is more accepting of its Japanese intellectual properties ever since they translated 7th Dragon Code III: VFD.

ATLUS and Sony's Third Party Production team. The "building the list" call showed them how many people were interested in getting Yakuza 5. Once that happened, Gio and team along with the stuff above put pressure to have the rest of the series localized in the future. So glad

Max

Staff member
Awards
Yakuza Kiwami Steelbook Edition is available for pre-order on Amazon for only 30 bucks, and with Prime that's dropped down to 24. What a freaking steal.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yakuza 2 Kiwami is coming later this year and a brand new First of the North Star game from the Yakuza devs will be coming next year! I'm so happy right now!

Max

Staff member
Awards
Yakuza 2 Kiwami is coming later this year and a brand new First of the North Star game from the Yakuza devs will be coming next year! I'm so happy right now!

I just heard about Kiwami 2 which is awesome! It really is great that the entire main series will be so much more accessible now.

Fist of the North Star is news to me, but that's freaking great!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yakuza Kiwami 2:

[video=youtube;QpXgE8Iqgho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXgE8Iqgho[/video]

Fist of the North Star:

[video=youtube;OnOna2YljoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOna2YljoQ [/video]

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just heard about Kiwami 2 which is awesome! It really is great that the entire main series will be so much more accessible now.

A HD trilogy of 3,4 and 5 would be the best way to cap off the Kiryu trilogy on the PS4.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Indeed, although they're all technically in HD on PS3 to begin with. But I know what you mean. 1080p60 would be sweet, maybe with some slightly updated textures and character models if possible.

Precursor Mar

I'm glad I'll be able to experience 1 & 2 in english through these remakes. I imported the HD collection just so I wouldn't feel lost with Yakuza 3, but it was hard to feel as invested when I had no idea what they were saying.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
4h7h8z.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Shows Off The Kansai Town Soutenbori - Siliconera

Back