• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Xion's Role

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaplen14

Hoping this isn't a repetitive post.
I have been at war with Xion's character and am trying to get a good interpretation of her role.
At first I loved her mysterious position and how she had a hidden purpose. However after several years I've started to feel that she was kind of forced into the Clock Tower duo, into a trio. Possibly even forced into the entire plot for not much purpose?
What really throws me off too is that Roxas and Namine had a bit of a connection, but I feel like Xion's Character completely took away from that.

So for Kh3 I am wondering if Xion comes back what she would be up to... As well as how anyone is going to remember her to even save.
I have nothing against her, just really don't know how to strengthen her purpose in my mind. To me it feels like she came not only between Namine and Roxas but really Roxas and Axel too.

What are your thoughts? Do you think she will have a stronger role in KH3? Or do you feel that they will strengthen her character by just accepting her death and at least bringing back her memory. Do you think that Roxas will build his friendship back up with Namine in place of Xion's?

Any

Awards
I...honestly, Roxas have multiple of friends (Hayner, Olette, Pence, Xion, Axel/Lea, and Naminé). Xion can also be friends with other people other than Roxas and Axel....you can say that about any character in the series. Roxas and Naminé can always be friends regardless of Xion being his best friend

Xion could be a Seeker or Darkness or A guardian of light but I prefer her being a SoD

okhi12

Awards
In the last few days I've seen a lot of threads about Xion and Naminé's roles and people always end up commenting about how the introduction of Xion diminished Naminé's importance, either as an overall relevant character or as a possible love interest to Roxas. Why create a new thread to repeat it all over again? Those are still recent.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't know. I may be wrong, but Xion never came off as a character that wanted to be their own person so passionately or badly. Not the way Roxas did, to the point that it's still what he truly wants and what would more than likely mend his pain. She didn't want to go or separate from her friends, but it wasn't...really a goal or a deep want? Not remembering her is what seemed to take presence.

I can't see any other purpose for a role with her in KH3 other than a Nort. To me it's like, the only option.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Yeah, I don't get the whole Xion VS Namine trend. The two are complements of each other, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if their storylines in KH3 are closely intertwined. They shared a purpose and a connection in Days, something which Xion came to fully appreciate towards the end of the game, and she was ready to work with and to trust Namine to achieve their mutual aims. My hope is that the reason we haven't seen the two of them in trailers is because they're both key actors in shaping the events of KH3 in their own ways, perhaps even in partnership with each other.

Roxas is fine being friends with both of them. We don't need to frame all the female characters in this game in terms of their relationships with male protagonists, or make it a conversation about "what will this male hero do now with two girls to choose between!" It reinforces female rivalry/cat fight tropes and it's silly.

Awards
What I believe is that Roxas and Xion will be on opposite teams and it will be the person who’s on the guardians of light team to save/help them. I personally think that after Sora brings Roxas back he leaves to go do his own thing or is simply no interested in helping Sora and co because he never wanted any part of it and just wants to spend his days peacefully in Twilght Town. Until his memories come back of Xion and he ends up making his big entrance like we saw in the TGS trailer.

ROKU-SHI

Banned
I dont think Xion ever took anything form Roxas and Namine's connection,

The only reason why Namine wanted to help Roxas, was because she made a promise to Xion. She only helped Roxas to wake Sora up. i doubt she even gave a toss about Roxas.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I dont think Xion ever took anything form Roxas and Namine's connection,

The only reason why Namine wanted to help Roxas, was because she made a promise to Xion. She only helped Roxas to wake Sora up. i doubt she even gave a toss about Roxas.

You literally contradicted yourself, lol.

Helping Roxas means risking Sora's restoration, but she did so anyway because Roxas deserved a choice. Could have left him returning to Sora without a clue to who he was. And Naminè doesn't even remember Xion. She didn't exist back then and still helped.

Don't villainize best girl for your ship.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Helping Roxas means risking Sora's restoration, but she did so anyway because Roxas deserved a choice. Could have left him returning to Sora without a clue to who he was. And Naminè doesn't even remember Xion. She didn't exist back then and still helped.
This is what I mean, though. Both Xion and Namine tried to guide Roxas in their own way, and help him understand that it was important for him to make the choice for the right reasons. Truthfully, neither of them were willing to risk Sora's restoration: Xion sacrificed herself with Roxas as her witness specifically to lead by example (didn't quite work out), and Namine was definitely intent on convincing Roxas that merging with Sora was the right thing to do (also didn't really work out). But both of them wanted him to understand what he was doing and why it was important to do it: they wanted him to believe in his own better self, and they weren't willing to let him be used by others. Xion didn't want Xemnas to use him, and Namine didn't want DiZ to do so. These girls have so much in common and I feel like they could lean on each other in a really powerful way and make things happen, because when it comes down to it, they've shown their willingness to put their very existences on the line for the greater good.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
This is what I mean, though. Both Xion and Namine tried to guide Roxas in their own way, and help him understand that it was important for him to make the choice for the right reasons. Truthfully, neither of them were willing to risk Sora's restoration: Xion sacrificed herself with Roxas as her witness specifically to lead by example (didn't quite work out), and Namine was definitely intent on convincing Roxas that merging with Sora was the right thing to do (also didn't really work out). But both of them wanted him to understand what he was doing and why it was important to do it: they wanted him to believe in his own better self, and they weren't willing to let him be used by others. Xion didn't want Xemnas to use him, and Namine didn't want DiZ to do so. These girls have so much in common and I feel like they could lean on each other in a really powerful way and make things happen, because when it comes down to it, they've shown their willingness to put their very existences on the line for the greater good.

I get what you're saying, but Naminè outright giving Roxas a choice was letting him make a decision that, if it wasn't for him having nothing left (including Naminè herself, as Diz took her away, and he was left alone to deal with the end result), could have gone awry. But at the core Roxas is kind; it's unsettling to leave a boy in a coma his entire life.

And with Naminè, it's hard to say if it was the right thing or if it was more of this being the best option for him (and herself) as a Nobody. She's been going by what she's been told all her life after all.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I get what you're saying, but Naminè outright giving Roxas a choice was letting him make a decision that, if it wasn't for him having nothing left (including Naminè herself, as Diz took her away, and he was left alone to deal with the end result), could have gone awry. But at the core Roxas is kind; it's unsettling to leave a boy in a coma his entire life.
Actually, we know what Roxas would do left to his own devices, because that's the scenario that plays out in Days. Roxas is left without anything (feeling betrayed by Axel, having watched Xion fade and knowing the memory of her is fading, too) and he doesn't make the right call-- that is, he doesn't fulfill the hope that others had for him. He takes his anger and grief and rushes towards an endgame that can only result in his destruction, and he has to be stopped from doing that through force. We see this echoed in KH2 as his resistance to merging with Sora is apparent right up until the moment Roxas finally meets him (when, presumably, it's too late). Roxas is not a bad person at heart, but he's distinct from Namine and Xion in that he doesn't really understand how to position himself within the whirlwind of spiritual politics being played all around him at his expense. Xion, through her own dogged determination, finds her purpose and pursues it, and Namine is guided by the principle behind the promise she made to Sora in Castle Oblivion. Roxas never had either of those things: all he ever had were the dreams of a life he desperately tries to cling to in defiance of the will of others, without putting into practice the lesson he learns throughout Days that a life like that is something one makes in connection with other people, not something inherited or deserved according to some arbitrary scale of "right" and "wrong." Roxas's own passivity and his reactionary nature are his undoing in the end, unable to commit either to finding a way to face his fate as others have determined it for him with courage, or avert it through some power of his own.

That doesn't make him any less tragic as a figure, but it colors his arc and characterization in a unique way among our main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back