• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Xigbar pronounciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
I really hope this is old news. If not, I really hope someone can prove me wrong. it's about the pronounciation of Xigbar.

Originally, I thought Marluxia was the only name that was commonly mispronounced, but I might have been wrong.

Personally, I've always pronounced it "Zigbar". I most of you already thought that, then just let this thread die and I'll curse my horrible pronounciation. But I realized that's not the case. I believe it's more like "Sigbar".

In case this is old news, I'll unnecessarily provide backup info to this common knowledge.

We'll use these three names as our prime examples.

Xemnas
Xigbar
Xaldin

Xemnas and Xaldin are pronounced just as they look; Zemnas and Zaldin.

So what makes Xigbar different?

Let's look at the Japanese pronounciaton.

Xemnas - Zemunasu
Sounds right.

Xaldin - Zarudin
Also right.

Sadly, this is where I realize I was wrong.

Xigbar - Shigubāru

Now, anyone who knows a thing about the Japanese language would understand from that alone. If they wanted it to be "Zigbar", it would have been more along the lines of "Zigubaru", not "Shigubaru."

In the end, it's Sigbar.

If you want to argue that it's still "Zigbar", please do so. I also want to believe it's that, though it just isn't.

If this is old news, sorry about that. I've just asked a few people they thought it was Zigbar too, so I believed it was a common mispronounciation as Marluxia once was. Also looking back on Marluxia's Japanese pronounciation, Marusha, it's almost hard to believe the general public didn't catch on. Then again, the general public doesn't have access to the Japanese pronounciation without looking for it.

But again, this might have been old news, but I believe even if it was, a few users reading may have learned a thing or two.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
It's because the Japanese language does not have a Zi, or a Si, it's replacement is Shi, hence Shion, Shigubaru etc.

/thread?

Ienzo_VI

I wondered about his name's pronunciation ever since the whole "Marloosha" thing. I think I will stick to pronounce Zigbar since it sounds a little cooler with the heavy z sound rather than Sigbar .

A

Audo

Zigbar and Sigbar sound pretty similar anyway. I doubt it will be a big issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual voice actors deviated between the two when the time comes to actually hear the name in a cutscene. I'm pretty sure in Re:CoM there were some actors who pronounced Zexion's name a bit differently. It's not that noticeable or as big of a deal.

So, whether it is Zigbar or Sigbar doesn't really seem like a big issue given their closeness in sound.

Sacred X

Freshmeat
It's because the Japanese language does not have a Zi, or a Si, it's replacement is Shi, hence Shion, Shigubaru etc.

While I haven't heard of that, I hope you're right. Although that doesn't confirm anything, as Larxene's name is Rakushinu, which the "shi" is the same as Xigbar's shi. Both have the 'S' sound.

EDIT: Oh, I may have misinterpreted what you said now that I reread your Xion bit. Are you saying "Of course it has to be Sigbar"? If so, thanks for that explanation assuming it's valid.

No.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
katakana1.gif

Proof, no?

And I pretty much saying that with the Shi being there, it explains why in Japanese it is not written as Zi

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Since the sound for i sounds like "ee" the name is pronounced "Zee-g-bar"

That's how you pronounce it. I'm taking japanese and all of the KH characters use the japanese pronounciations of the vowels. Happy?

Reika Noko

Forever lurking
Ji-gu-ba-ru? Well, think of the Japanese pronunciation of C.C. from Code Geass; the fact that in English would have to pronunce the "C" at a sharp sounding "S". So pronuncing "Xi" syllable would have to make out with a hard "si" or "zi" though since no such thing like that in Japanese (unless you could, though a bit uncommonly, use the Ainu language writing to some degree), you would have to make into "shi."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back