• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Xbox 360 GTA IV disc fitting troubles

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
well while this is a rumor, but still this is a blow for xbox 360 fanboys and their "We don't need HD-DVD drive" and "one dvd disk is big enough no more space is needed" but rockstar are having trouble trying to get grand theft auto 4 to fit on one xbox 360 disk . Imagine having to switch disks each time you move to a different city?

heres the article anyway (what im talking about is near the bottom):

"Rumors are bouncing round the internet concerning possible details of GTA IV's multiplayer game. The electronic whispers suggest that one multiplayer mode will make players search for one another across the game's massive playing area before being able to take each other down. It is suggested that when players raise their wanted level to seven stars they will become visible on the radar and thus more vulnerable to being located and gunned down by other players.

It's also been alleged that an important feature will be an in-game internet. According to speculation, central character, Niko will be able to upload his resume to apply for a job, in order to get an interview with a man he has to kill. Furthermore, it's possible that Niko will be able to use his mobile phone when ordering and buying weapons, which could remove the need to visit the ammo shops.

Further rumors suggest that the game will feature more true to life ways of side-stepping the attentions of the law. It has been suggested that if a player is being pursued and drives to an isolated area, changes cars while no one is looking and drives off in the new ride the cops will be none the wiser.

Yet more rumors circling certain E3 parties suggested that Rockstar is having trouble squeezing the giant game onto one Xbox 360 disk.

More GTA IV news when we have it."

Games Radar - XBOX 360 news - Grand Theft Auto IV - GT4 IV to feature in-game internet?

looks like certain people on this forum are wrong, bigger disk drives than dvd drives are needed now days, and this is a sign of trouble to come with 360 or else as games get bigger more games will resort to disc swapping

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: xbox 360 gta 4 disk fitting troubles

It's not a huge blow, I mean, we did ot on the Playstation. But still, it's nice to have the technological advantage of huge disks, and obviously as games get bigger, Blueray will be much better at holding space.

evil_kenshin

oh yet its fine for you to post rumor's super eclipse? how ironic

also monkey then this is proof the 360 is not so "next gen" if it has to have disk swapping

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net

oh yet its fine for you to post rumor's super eclipse? how ironic

also monkey then this is proof the 360 is not so "next gen" if it has to have disk swapping

No he closed my topics on rumor. So mine will be getting closed now.. He said he was tired of them.. So all rumors should be closed its not fair, for one person to make a topic on them and the other can't.

That last post was great.. If thats the case PS2 wasn't so next at it's time.

Rockstar done said it will be the same and run the same as the PS3 version and the 360 is getting more because of MS.. So whats the bad thing again?

evil_kenshin

No he closed my topics on rumor. So mine will be getting closed now.. He said he was tired of them.. So all rumors should be closed its not fair, for one person to make a topic on them and the other can't.

That last post was great.. If thats the case PS2 wasn't so next at it's time.

Rockstar done said it will be the same and run the same as the PS3 version and the 360 is getting more because of MS.. So whats the bad thing again?

i'm not talking about your xbox 360 price cut topic (at the stage it was still a rumour) i mean your topics on things like metal gear solid 4 being ported to the 360

and what do you mean? disc swapping is natural when products with insufficent disc space get filled as they years go on

i mean it used to be nobody thought it was possible to fill up a blank cd (considering back in the day the only storage device was 2mb floppy discs), now your part of the people who think its impossible to fill up a dvd drive, when blu-ray is the current (next-gen) thing needed

Masamune

Big Boss

So i guess its

Blue Ray > HD-DVD

Xidon

Not highscoring in life

well while this is a rumor, but still this is a blow for xbox 360 fanboys and their "We don't need HD-DVD drive" and "one dvd disk is big enough no more space is needed" but rockstar are having trouble trying to get grand theft auto 4 to fit on one xbox 360 disk . Imagine having to switch disks each time you move to a different city?

If this is true, this is a pretty big problem, switching disks has been done before, but the switch was going by the storyline not by going from town to town....

Masamune

Big Boss

^ true. if you need to switch discs in an RPG during the story, it's pretty much okay. But this is problem.

Koruto

So I guess this makes one thing clear about the gaming future, if 360 disks are barely able to hold GTAIV then whats going to happen with the next game,each GTA game gets bigger and bigger and come GTA5 or whatever they're going to call their next game you might see the GTA series return to Playstation as an exclusive simply because the 360's hardware couldn't hold up. If anything the 360 will be in major trouble if more problems like this arise, and 360 fanboys said 360 was powerful, I laugh at your foolishness.(not really)

Masamune

Big Boss

There's nothing wrong with the 360's hardware. It's the HD-DVD.

Koruto

I said hardware because the disc drive is part of the hardware.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator

So I guess this makes one thing clear about the gaming future, if 360 disks are barely able to hold GTAIV then whats going to happen with the next game,each GTA game gets bigger and bigger and come GTA5 or whatever they're going to call their next game you might see the GTA series return to Playstation as an exclusive simply because the 360's hardware couldn't hold up. If anything the 360 will be in major trouble if more problems like this arise, and 360 fanboys said 360 was powerful, I laugh at your foolishness.(not really)

Games as large and expansive as Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Fable 2, Blue Dragon, and other such titles have ALL been able to fit on a DVD9. If games as large as these are capable of fitting on a DVD9, why is more space needed? There may be a rare occurrence of a title that may exceed it, but in general the majority of games can fit on it easily

Oblivion is a game that has well in the 100+ hours in terms of gameplay, and it fits perfectly on a DVD9. If a game such as this able to fit snuggly on a DVD9, then other games should be able to as well, the difference being that Bethesda knows how to manage their games

I laugh at your stupidity (really)

Q

Banned

Games as large and expansive as Oblivion, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Fable 2, Blue Dragon, and other such titles have ALL been able to fit on a DVD9. If games as large as these are capable of fitting on a DVD9, why is more space needed? There may be a rare occurrence of a title that may exceed it, but in general the majority of games can fit on it easily

Oblivion is a game that has well in the 100+ hours in terms of gameplay, and it fits perfectly on a DVD9. If a game such as this able to fit snuggly on a DVD9, then other games should be able to as well, the difference being that Bethesda knows how to manage their games

^ quoted for truth.

Anyway, it only means that they may have to change things up a bit. I doubt that they can't fit it - I simply think they have problems managing the game, simply because their game management isn't as good as other company's management of their games. Or whatever it is that causes this problem. They'll find a way, they always do.

Koruto

Wow, I mean what a dumbass response, you barely have an arguement, the only reason they were able to put a game like Oblivion on 360 was they had to compress it (meaning that it originally didn't fit on the disc), over time devs will want to make bigger and better games and compression can't save the 360 forever, look at Killzone 2, one level is two GB, meaning 360 will never be able to have games that detailed(PS3 has already shown people something beyond the 360's potential for detail within the first year), more space is needed for bigger worlds, better AI, more detail, etc. I'll bet that within one year's time this problem will occur more and more often(i'm guessing with at least 20 to 30 games), as for all of those games you mentioned, they were/are being made as exclusives for 360(excluding Oblivion which really doesn't count because it was made with 360 hardware and disc space in mind) so of course they're going to fit on 360 discs(they're 360 exclusives), over time the 360 disc's limited space won't appeal to devs and you will see more and more PS3 exclusives simply because 360 hardware won't be able to hold up to the PS3's, and just so you know Elder Scrolls is like GTA in the way that it gets biggger and bigger with every game so don't be surprised if the next game comes to PS3 as an exclusive(unless Microsoft develops a newer 360 that supports HD DVD or BLU RAY), and as for disc swapping it's fine for storylines, but for open world games like GTA and Elder Scrolls it will just drive gamers to the PS3 because of the tedious task of switching discs to get to other areas in the game. IN SHORT, YOU JUST GOT OWNED.

Xidon

Not highscoring in life

question, what does the duration of the gameplay have to do with anything? I have seen PS1 games have 100+ hours of gameplay and they fit on a CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back