• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you play the future KH games if they didn't have Disney worlds in them?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Would you play the future KH games if they didn't have Disney worlds in them?

• No, even though I'm not that much into Disney, I don't think it'd work out well without it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if they'd replace them with some other worlds from popular cartoons/anime/games/books.

• Yes, but only if they'd replace them with some other worlds from cartoons/anime/games/books I LIKE!

• I play for the gameplay, I don't care ;)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enturax

Awards
I think I made it too easy with option 9 :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

I don't know because the disney worlds are a key part of the experience and a key part of its branding.

Without Disney people might have looked it over as just another JRPG. I dont think the original lore has that much appeal for a casual audience.

Ive read enough fanfics to know that it is doable. Usually the disney worlds/the FF characters/srk will be replaced by RWBY/Nintendo worlds/insert popular anime/video game or some combination. So i guess it depends on how they handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
KH has many awesome aspects to it besides the Disney parts, at least that's how I see it, so even if there wouldn't be Disney worlds, I'd sure as heck would still find extremely much fun in playing the games. The gameplay is simply a really, really strong point, it all just feels fun, if nothing else. Be it the Days version of the mechanics, the card systems or anything like what we had in DDD, it's fun to play and the character designs and music are also great. Would play 10/10 even when I'm 40 years old lol

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Sure would. 0.2 had no Disney "plot" in it and the worlds looked amazingly beautiful and I liked them a lot. I think the level design might be even better without being restricted by Disney since all my favorite KH worlds are original. I liked the Disney aspect in KH1, it gave it that nice fairy tale feel, but after that I couldn't care less about it, if anything I'd gladly remove it. So yeah, of course it's not happening but I'd have no problem with it if it did. I'm sure that Disney filler would just be replaced by original filler, but I'd prefer that.

Not Ienzo

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'd still keep playing since I care about the original worlds and characters and such far more than the Disney elements. The Disney worlds do have their charm though, and make the series unique so I don't necessarily want them gone.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Personally, Disney isn't what makes KH KH to me. I love everything that's original far more than the Disney elements. And considering how awful the recent Disney worlds have been? Sure! As catcake said, 0.2 didn't have any Disney plot either and I still enjoyed it.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean... yes, but at that point I wouldn't be playing KH. I would be playing a different game.
Like, if Disney is the only thing that changes I'd be playing a standard anime game made by Square Enix.
Disney IS what makes KH KH to me, so... I'll check them out, but that won't be KH to me.

palizinhas

Awards
Probably not. Disney has always been the biggest draw for me, and even 0.2, which didn't have that much Disney, had the Castle of Dreams/Dwarf Woodlands remains portions, which were the only redeeming parts of that trainwreck. No idea how dull that game would be if the whole thing was just the ridiculous train of retcons that happens afterwards.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I'm sure that Disney filler would just be replaced by original filler, but I'd prefer that.

I'd also prefer that, given how thirsty I (and many fans actually) are for original-story content
tumblr_inline_ncs0orhmpy1sa70vw_by_darkgreyheroine-dbfb1rt.png
heh

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
No, without Disney its just like any other anime RPG tbh. Like...maybe I would enjoy it still? I do enjoy anime and everything. Maybe the better way to put it is: I wouldn't care nearly as much about it. Incorporating anime elements to the Disney characters I love is what gives me all the warm fuzzies in terms of KH's identity as a game. Having big RPG fights with Disney characters is great to me (which is why the past few games have been disappointing in some aspects lol, but oh well). I would have played an RPG only starring Disney characters tbh lol.

And I guess to be blunt, I don't find many of the original characters to actually be incredibly interesting or unique. Not to say I don't like them, but I have played other anime games with more 3-dimensional and surprising characters. A lot of these guys are one or two note, but I also couldn't imagine the games without them anymore either? Its definitely complicated. But I still stick with overall: No, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much, and I may not even have played it at all.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Personally, Disney isn't what makes KH KH to me. I love everything that's original far more than the Disney elements. And considering how awful the recent Disney worlds have been? Sure! As catcake said, 0.2 didn't have any Disney plot either and I still enjoyed it.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I enjoyed 0.2, but frankly I guess its hard to say. If that was what the first game was like, I can't say I would have been a fan at all lol. Maybe? Its hard to say since some of us are so invested in the original tale now, but we certainly didn't start that way.
[/FONT]
Also I don't really agree with the Disney worlds being bad, like I assume you mean how so many are treated as filler? I do wish the mobile titles had treated Disney better, but I think it would be even lamer to just ditch it completely because they seem incapable of writing well lol.

Last edited:

Hakan Xatos

Awards
I probably would still play. Although I think it would be kind of weird if Sora was the main protagonist and it didn't have Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Yen Sid in it. On the other hand, besides 0.2, there have been some good entries that very limited Disney use like Days and Re:CoM. These games didn't have any memorable Disney interactions, have no contributions to the overall plot of the game, and mostly just used for the locations. Whip up some original worlds (without the restrictions of staying true to the source material) with new original characters, have their story tie in with the main plot and just like that you improve the overall story of those two games. The introduction of original characters like the Organization is what kept everyone's interest in those two games, not the Disney worlds. So yeah I think they could make a successful and all original KH game that I would play. It may even allow more room to build a stronger main plot.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I guess after thinking longer, I did...kind of like Days? I definitely liked Re:Coded, and I love Chain of Memories. But tbh, the last two used Disney just enough I got my fix, even if it was SUPER filler. So if its just like a single game in the future, I guess at this point I would give it a shot as long as its not the norm. If they ever got rid of Disney completely though, I'd probably jump ship.

Also lol, I dunno about the idea of them writing more coherent without Disney...like someone else said, I think they will just add some other filler to pan out the game longer till they drop all the main plot. It seems like its just their writing style, not exactly about Disney itself...

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I probably would if Sora and Riku continued to be the primary protagonists. But I’d skip any games with other characters as the leads (like BbS, Days, etc.) without the incentive of Disney worlds.

Enturax

Awards
You made good points, people.
The only KH game that had more than 2 Disney worlds I actually liked, was KH2. That's why I'd easily give such a game a try.
And yes, it's very important how Square would handle it. I don't deny the greatness they achieved with their self-made locations, but would they pull it off with 30+ hours of gameplay? It could be, indeed, pretty dull or would lose the important vibes the Disney added up, even if some of us aren't aware of them.
There's also that option of adding worlds/characters from different fictional universes. Which one of them would suit KH the best?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
well yeah, but lets be honest- there will always be disney in kingdom hearts and that’s why i’m not worried. also in 0.2, you explored the fragments of 3 disney worlds, mickey mouse came to help you, and then he told yen sid who tasked him to go back with riku while sora took donald duck and goofy mclastname to hang with hercules. 0.2 might have been lighter on direct disney elements but they were ingrained deeply in the game.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
It depends if they can make original worlds that visually look better than the Disney worlds. If all the worlds are only going to be full of different variation of towns...then no thanks.

The Disney worlds add a lot of variety when it comes to locations and character interactions. I mean we still don't have any original non-human characters.

lusca_bueno

I personally think it's a little dumb to imagine a KH without Disney, since Disney X Final Fantasy is the very CONCEPT of the franchise, lol. It would never be called Kingdom Hearts anymore if they decided to make a look-a-like without Disney. Simple like that, doesn't make any sense from a business or creative standpoint. Even though, to answer the question, I'd also play this look-a-like, since there are a lot of other things I enjoy about KH aside from Disney I.P.

Enturax

Awards
well yeah, but lets be honest- there will always be disney in kingdom hearts and that’s why i’m not worried. also in 0.2, you explored the fragments of 3 disney worlds, mickey mouse came to help you, and then he told yen sid who tasked him to go back with riku while sora took donald duck and goofy mclastname to hang with hercules. 0.2 might have been lighter on direct disney elements but they were ingrained deeply in the game.

Sure, you're right, but my point in making this topic was to see what side of the game is the most important to the fans, more, than a chance for such a possibility itself.
But for the sake of playing along - there's always some chance for a restart of the universe, even if it's done in a form of an actual continuation/spin off, like some side character exploring new parts of the KH universe, going on a journey with his/her own crew to stop some made up villain. And seeing all the unneeded side games, like the online ones, I don't think it's all that unrealistic - especially for the sake of bringing new audiences to the franchise.
A little more realistic is, obviously, getting even bigger hybrids than we have now (KHxDisneyxFF) - Disney has rights to many franchises and may get some new ones in the future, while Square can pull out anything they want from their own basket.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
While some games have mishandled the Disney worlds (hi KH2), I think it's a mistake to have any sort of journey without the Disney aspect. BbS had a lotta issues, but one of the best parts of that gane was the implementation of Disney worlds. You tale that out and you're left with... well, lowkey crap. Cool and fun crap, but crap.

Gameplay wise, nothing would probably change, but from a narrative perspective, a Disney-less KH just sounds like a watered down, poor man's version of FF. If you want a Disney-less KH just play World of Final Fantasy.

But for the sake of playing along - there's always some chance for a restart of the universe, even if it's done in a form of an actual continuation/spin off, like some side character exploring new parts of the KH universe, going on a journey with his/her own crew to stop some made up villain.

That's literally every KH game tho.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I mean such a thing would never exist, really, but even if it theoretically could... I'd still prefer it with Disney. It's the thing that got me into it in the first place and while some games are better at incorporating them than others, and there is still SO MUCH untapped potentially and they are usually disappointing, there is the odd glimmer in the games where they hit the Disney stuff really well. It'd be nice if we could see more of that, and honestly, i'm hopeful for KH3. Idk, even though the series never lives up to the potential of its Disney ideas, i'd rather have it than not have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back