• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you play a KH spin off in a different gaming genre?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Noivern

Awards
Basically what the title says. Another thread made me think of this and it's something that I really want, but I'm not sure how others would react to it.

Would you like to see KH as a franchise expanding past the stablished action-rpg gameplay and diving into different genres like plataforming, puzzle solving, fighting and so on?
I know we can't have as much freedom to explore spin offs like what Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest have because in the end, KH still follows a interconnected storyline, but it's still food for thought.

A open world spin off fighting roaming Heartless/Nobodies/Nightmares and exploring interconnected worlds?

A fighting game akin to Dissidia or maybe something else?

A "warriors" game like Hyrule Legends, Sengoku Basara or Fire Emblem Warriors where you wipe out tons of enemies and conquer new territories?

A proper shooting game focused solely on the Gumni Ships and the Keyblade Riders?

A metroidvania plataformer with a 2d perspective where we'd get to explore a world while learning new abilities to get around?

A 3D collect-a-ton plataformer like Spyro, Banjo & Kazooie or something more recent like Mario Odyssey and A Hat In Time?

Or maybe puzzle games like Professor Layton or Ace Attorney exploring the 7 wonders of Twilight Town and so on?

What are your thoughts on this, have you ever thought about one of our favorite characters getting their own spin off variation? Or even considered such a deviation from the main gameplay happening in Kingdom Hearts?

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Considering Blazblue and Guilty Gear have convoluted plot near KH level, I think fighting game focusing on different characters' plot would help branching the stories while later tie it into one "main" storyline, and I would play it too.

I also considered SHMUP-type game as some characters do shot out lasers and energy and other long range attack, but it seems unlikely.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
kingdom-karts-kingdom-hearts-random-13668597-799-586.jpg

Wallflower3582

The level of commitment I have to this series unfortunately means that I would play a KH game in any and all of those genres, whether I think they're a good idea or not lol

That aside, I would love nothing more than an open world style game in KH. I know it's so not like the rest of the series, but if we got somebody like Riku as the playable character and a fully explorable original world that we stayed in and learned about over the course of a whole game, I would just about die. I'm picturing something similar to FFXV but more… Disney. Like how in Back Cover, you know how you can see Daybreak town and how the land around it extends off for miles and miles…? What if you could spend a whole game exploring something like that, uncovering ancient keyblade lore and secrets, fighting crazy enemies, setting up camp, leveling up equipment… I know it will never happen, but yeah. A girl can dream…

As for a fighting game… I'm gonna stick to #sora4smash for now lol

saintfighteraqua

Awards
I probably would, but to be honest I don't want the series to expand into any of those genres.
I could see it's style adapting to maybe an open world or even turn-based, but I'd prefer it to stay in the RPG realm.

mouflon

Awards
It took a whopping two posts for someone to mention Kingdom Karts, haha. This account is the first time I've ever interacted with the KH fandom in any capacity and even I still remember people pining for such a game around when KHII released. Maybe one day...

I'm actualy a bit surprised the series is so old and yet we've not had a spin-off like this yet.

I never thought of a Kingdom Hearts puzzle game in the style of Layton or Ace Attorney, but now you mention it… a puzzle/adventure game where you play as Pence, Hayner and Olette and go around Twilight Town investigating mysteries and stuff actually sounds super cool. I’d be down for that.

I'd also just be down for a fully self-contained KH story for once. No sequel teasing, no hidden mystery, no retconning. Just give me "Kingdom Hearts: Well, Here You Go" and I can play it, love it and not have to remember anything about it to understand the next game. A different genre spin-off would easily allow that--or I'd hope so.

I’d play a turn-based SRPG KH game. You'd play as a Dusk in TWTNW trying to climb the ladder after KHII's ending. You have to recruit the different lesser Nobodies as party members. The Nobodies are already different literal RPG classes, so it’d fit like a glove. It would be a story of political intrigue, a real rags-to-riches tale for the modern world with dating sim elements. It would also make no sense but who cares, I've ruminated on this idea for far too much and too long and now I wanna play it.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'd be open to different genre KH games, be it cannon or not. I think the universe could lend itself well to different game play types.

I personally would especially be interested in a puzzle game. I really loved the puzzle solving in KH1 and was happy to see it return in ReMind. Having a KH game where you have to use the keyblade and your magic to solve puzzles and progress through a maze or something seems like it'd be a lot of fun.

I think a fighting or "warriors" game could be interesting, but almost would have to be non-cannon. Would be a great chance to play as all the characters. Only issue I see with this is that Nomura doesn't seem to like non-canon entries. Though who knows maybe it could be a simulation run by the MoM.

Personally I'd love for there to be a game that incorporates the Persona 5 confidant mechanic for the Kinggom Hearts cast feel like there's a lot of potential you could mine out of it. Having a game where you just mess around with the other characters could be a lot of fun and do a lot for the development of the cast.

I also wouldn't mind if the next mobile game went for a round based RPG style of game play.

Noivern

Awards
I'd be open to different genre KH games, be it cannon or not. I think the universe could lend itself well to different game play types.

I personally would especially be interested in a puzzle game. I really loved the puzzle solving in KH1 and was happy to see it return in ReMind. Having a KH game where you have to use the keyblade and your magic to solve puzzles and progress through a maze or something seems like it'd be a lot of fun.

I think a fighting or "warriors" game could be interesting, but almost would have to be non-cannon. Would be a great chance to play as all the characters. Only issue I see with this is that Nomura doesn't seem to like non-canon entries. Though who knows maybe it could be a simulation run by the MoM.

Personally I'd love for there to be a game that incorporates the Persona 5 confidant mechanic for the Kinggom Hearts cast feel like there's a lot of potential you could mine out of it. Having a game where you just mess around with the other characters could be a lot of fun and do a lot for the development of the cast.

I also wouldn't mind if the next mobile game went for a round based RPG style of game play.

Ehh, I could see a canon Warriors-like game happening pretty easily as a remake or reinterpretation of the Chi games. Commanding the Foretellers and later on the Union leaders with the union members and the dandelions as wandering units fighting in random areas.

But the Guardians of Light vs Xehanort Armors in Re:Mind reminded me so much of how Dissidia works that it's probably the game I could see the most happening.

OrionGold

Awards
A "warriors" game like Hyrule Legends, Sengoku Basara or Fire Emblem Warriors where you wipe out tons of enemies and conquer new territories?
If they were to do a Musou-like game, I would want the presentation be similar to Sengoku Basara, where everything is high-octane insane in the awesome department with some silly moments mixed in there as well.

Back