• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you be OK with the series taking a break after KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Behonkiss

Website
twitter.com
While it's already been confirmed that there will be more games in the series after KH3, does anyone else think that it wouldn't be an awful idea for the series to go on hiatus for a few years? Considering that it looks like 3 will wrap up all the plot threads established so far, we probably won't be left on any major cliffhangers. Having some time in between entries could also mean that we would end up with some enticing possibilities for worlds whenever the series comes back - I honestly think that one of the positives with 3 taking so long to begin development is the fact that Disney's acquired big properties like Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars since KH2 came out, as well as the fact that they've put out some great titles in recent years like Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen.

I certainly wouldn't want the series to outright end after 3, but considering what I just wrote, I'd be OK with Nomura and company taking a break from the series to try other things, and eventually come back to it with some great new ideas. Anybody else agree?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I don't think it'd be bad for the series to take a break, honestly, whatever Nomura and SE decide to go with I'm fine with, but I'd also be okay if the series didn't. I can see pros and cons to both sides. I mean, at this point KH's biggest problem is staying current due to this huge hiatus between KH2 and KH3 (sure it isn't a hiatus for us, but for the casual fan, KH2 was the last real KH game so SE did a lot of catching up with these remixes and pushing them). So taking another huge break between KH3 and KH4 could work against them honestly.

I can see from a casual fan's perspective, if SE released KH2 in 2005, releases KH3 probably 2016 or later, and then took ANOTHER huge break before KH4 could just make KH a series that takes too much waiting time to follow. To a person who doesn't care about the remixes (and that's their fault, but SE does need them for profit) doing that can be really bad for the KH series.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
While I don't think it would be a bad idea, I also would rather it didn't go on hiatus. Mostly because I would rather see the new story arc while it is 'fresh' in my mind. Though everyone waited patiently for III to come out (or at least the players who enjoyed the 'side games' that were insanely relevant to III's story), granted we are still waiting. That said, if there are more side games ( I would love BBS Vol 2 to actually exist one day to have more time as Aqua) I would be fine overall. Besides I have Pokemon to carry through the lull.

Unclear_Motive

I wouldn't mind if it went into a hiatus and I wouldn't mind if SE continued on and started working on the new story arc after KH III is released.

I don't like to see games being annualized, and at the current rate SE has been making some sort of KH release just about every year for the past 5 years or so. KH is my favorite game series, but too much off a good thing makes the feeling of gratification go away.

As long as there is a few years break in between KH III and a new story arc, I am ok with it. I feel that SE shouldn't annualize the KH series. With this being said, it has become a cash cow for the company and from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense to slow down if people are still buying.

billyzanesucks

It has been over nine years since KHII. The series has taken enough of a break from its original format. And assuming they kick off the new saga with a new console game, then it will take a few years, regardless of what we want.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It has been over nine years since KHII. The series has taken enough of a break from its original format. And assuming they kick off the new saga with a new console game, then it will take a few years, regardless of what we want.

I doubt the first chapter of the new Kingdom Hearts saga will make its debut on the PS5. They can release the new game on the PS4, since they already have KH3's engine (assuming they don't need to make any core changes).
But I concur with the notion that Mr. Nomura should take a break from the series. He should file for some vacation, relax and brainstorm for an original project and later work on Kingdom Hearts IV/NEW! Kingdom Hearts.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Lol he meant a new console game as in, being on a console (ps4) and not something like the Nintendo ds-1000 or vita.5.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wouldn't mind. Just like KH was a way of rediscovering great DISNEY films, I think I need some time away from KH so that I can get the joy of rediscovering KH. Also, I think he needs some time away to really plan out a new trilogy of games. KH 1-3 suffered greatly because he had no idea where things were going (OK maybe a small idea). But, now that he knows he can definitely get 3 news games out of Square/DISNEY, he should plan out the entire series.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
This is the nearest to my feelings, tbh. A break in the KH world just means spin-offs I have to play instead of a better thing. Yes, there's been something KH-related coming several years in a row now--but that's only happened in order to make up for the "breaks" they took with this saga. I'd rather the next arc not fall into the same pitfalls, personally.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Well regardless, if they stop making non-numbered titles the series is going to take a break anyway. Even slowing down, however, I don't foresee that happening. kh has multiple teams working on it for different titles and as long as it remains to bring in money, the powerhouse collab will keep pumping out games.

if you build it, they will come.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts IV Fast and Furious. As in more portable games...I really hope not but I doubt it. The game really deserves a huge from the Xehanort Saga. I just hope that whatever they have next is going to make sense.

Goron Link

I think it depends on how KH3 ends and how long the break is. If it brings in more questions that aren't answered by the end of the Xehanort saga then I wouldn't be too happy with a break longer than a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back