• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would KH 2 be better without Atlantica? (slight spoilers)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Would it's removal benefit the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

As many of you know, Nomura "experimented" with KH 2, adding a few neat gimmicks like reaction commands, skateboarding, and other challenges that were.... frustrating at times. But the one that most people don't like is KH 2's Atlantica, which is a glorified rhythm and mix game where even the BOSS has to be defeated with the power of music. I get that it fixes the issue with swimming controls, but did we really need to go back to Atlantica? I think the first game gave us a conclusion that satisfied everyone, Ariel asks Sora what his world is like, and that she'd like to see them one day. It was quite a nice play off Sora's character with an established Disney character.
Then KH 2 came and threw it all in the trash.

In my opinion, wouldn't it be better if Neverland returned in it's place and Ariel was the summon obtained from Port Royale. This would fit with the water theme that the two worlds branching off from Disney Castle. Plus, the orientation of Neverland on the world map would compliment Twilight Town's clocktower with Big Ben, adding a nice aesthetic. Ariel's degredation to being a summon found on a pirate ship could be seen as a reference to the third movie, where pirates briefly appear (briefly, being the keyword). As for the story, Nomura could go with really anything, there are numerous stories about peter pan, why not reuse one of those and throw in the heartless? it could work! But sadly, we don't live in that reality, cool as it might be.

What do you think? would the game be better, worse or stay the same?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Take Atlantica out of KH2 and my opinion of the game isn't going to change in the slightest. Yeah it was filler and didn't impact the plot, but you could say the same for the majority of Disney worlds.

That said I liked KH2's Atlantica for what it was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Nahhhh

Atlantica wasn't that big a setback to me.

redcrown

Awards
As much as I disliked KH2 Atlantica, it barely effected anything in the plot and didn't even really have an effect on Sora's character development at all. It felt like a non canon side game than anything.

Even 100 Acre Wood felt more essential to KH2, though it was an optional minigame, as it still offered Sora genuine moments of character development and overall growth as it reflected his worries and anxiety and perfectly outlined the main game's theme of growing up and changing as you age and reunions.

So taking Atlantica out or leaving it in wouldn't really matter, unless you're trying to get ingredients for the Ultimate weapon and all the magic spell upgrades.

Meow Wow

Awards
The only thing that would make a lack of Atlantica in KH2 good would be the fact that A New Day Is Dawning wouldn't haunt my dreams.

It's not that bad, at least you can get some laughs from the cringe factor of it all.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
KHII Atlantica is one of the more unique worlds though. It's divisive, but I'm one of the few who actually enjoys it for what it is (not more than I do the KHI ver., but still), especially in the spectrum of what unique worlds the series has to offer. It's a unique minigame, and it's the only one that capitalized on the magic of the musical numbers that area a large part these films that even Yoko Shimomura can't quite do justice to with solely lyric-less BGM.

If there's any reason to take out it's place in KHII, it's because the writers awkwardly forgot to have Sora, Ariel & Co. remember Ursula.

Megavoltage

Awards
I MIGHT have liked it if Goofy and Donald weren't singing along, it just made it impossibly awkward. Just Sora and Ariel singing could have been fine I guess.

Maybe if more effort was put into the songs (WTF Finny Fun?!) it could have been a better experience, I do like playing Miku games so I'm not against this sort of stuff. How many other of the keyblade wielder voice actors/actresses can sing? I'd like to see the other characters as mermaids/mermen/sea creatures. Musical Atlantica has potential...! No, really! Don't laugh at me!

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Well...I love Miyu Irino's singing and collect every single one of his albums, so...

I absolutely adore Atlantica and look forward to it every time. I think it's a grand old silly time. I don't really see why people have so many issues with it. I can understand it if they legitimately don't like the mini game mechanics but most people seem to just say its "cringe" and "bad" but I don't see how it is any less campy than other stuff in the game. To me KH is all about mixing silly childish fun with serious stuff, so without a good mix of those two things it gets a bit too serious for its own good, I think. Atlantica is just adorable, pure childish fun, silly lyrics and all.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It's optional and added flare to the game. So nay.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I didn't mind the singing. What did annoy me was retconning the events of the first game and bringing back Ursula with the "power of darkness" and having to relive a not as interesting version of the film. If it had a more original plot I would have liked it more.

Megavoltage

Awards
bringing back Ursula with the "power of darkness"
Yeah, that was weird. But it bothered me less thn memories reviving Maleficent. Just... what?! And to make things more awkward we got Phantom Ursula later on, haha.

kaseykockroach

Awards
It's at least optional, so it never bothered me that much. I kind of forget it's even there, since KH2 doesn't give you much reason to revisit places for secrets and such.
I'd argue Agrabah is equally as pointless and mundane in KH2, except required in this case!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This! I didn't mind Atlantica. The world that bugged me the most was Agrabah second visit. I also wished Pride Lands didn't limit my moveset. But Atlantica was optional.

SoulXaldin

Awards
Although I did enjoy the rhythm mini games, Antlantica didn’t do much to add to KH2 other than give you an Orchalcum for beating it. If you remove it, I guess it would chip off like 30-45 minutes of gameplay but that’s not a super substantial amount so getting rid of it doesn’t change much.

They would have to remove an Orichalcum or place it somewhere else.

Perkilator

Awards
Ehh, I’d still enjoy KH2 either way. The only real benefit I’d see is if a completely new world could take its place (maybe something like Atlantis: The Lost Empire).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No. What's wrong with KH2 couldn't have been fixed by cutting a 30-minute MAX mini-game world.

Willy B

I think that it would make no difference to the game, since it`s an optional world. The singing didn`t bother me, however, the entire world felt repetitive due to the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back