• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Would anyone have any advice to give me?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

you look atrocious
Okay, I'll just get this out of the way, but I greatly dislike a certain classmate of mine.

This guy is in my third hour class, which happens to be drama. And just recently, we had to be partners for a humorous duet.

Now, I had already disliked him previously for breaking part of a project I had to do for Physical Science which had taken me over a week to complete, which then caused a cycle of the different pieces breaking and needing to be fixed before a week later when I had to turn it in for a grade. So the constant needing to fix it due to his mishandling it made me a very unhappy camper.

This dislike grew over time (2-3 weeks, to be exact) as we were to rehearse our scene and have it memorized so we could perform it in front of the class for a test grade. Now, I had my lines memorized by the 2nd week. And my partner hadn't. He didn't even have most of his lines memorized without having to look at a script. Now, I'm not claiming to be some sort of acting prodigy or something, but it was just something that really annoyed me. Especially since most of the time we were supposed to use for rehearsing, he instead used to goof around and play with the other guys who weren't rehearsing. Having no choice left, I memorized all of my lines and went over them by myself so that I could be prepared for the performance.

Eventually, the day right before the performance test rolled around and I had my lines memorized perfectly and was ready to go. My partner didn't. We tried rehearsing without the scripts and he could hardly do the first page of dialogue without having to look at his script. Needless to say, when we went to perform the next day, it sucked. I had my lines ready and well, he didn't. And he needed someone to read his lines for him or read the script himself to really know what he was supposed to do. Even I had to tell him some of his lines while we were performing.

It may not exactly seem like that big of a deal, but to me, it was very embarassing. Here I was, with not only my lines memorized, but I also had memorized most of my partner's lines and even some of the lines from another group. But my partner didn't have his lines memorized.

And the thing was, he was the one that really needed to get a decent grade on this duet since his grade in that class was in the toilet. So, he should have had the incentive to raise his grade up by doing a good performance. I was one of the four A's in that class; I could have blown off that performance and still I'd be in good shape.

Personally, I'm not all that upset over him doing so crappily on the performance. But when we were first assigned as partners, the first thing he said to me was, "I really need to get a good grade on this, so you better do your part right."

I'm glad my teacher didn't grade us as a group but rather as individuals since at best our grade would have been a C. And I can only assume that my partner made a D. (I didn't look at his grade myself, but I could have sworn I heard him say that's what he made.)

Now, other than that, there's one thing that he does whenever we go to the PAC (Performing Arts Center) and are on the stage. I could be talking to someone or just standing over by myself and for no reason, he will sneak up from behind me and lift me up into the air. Maybe you don't know this about me, but I'm fairly small IRL. I'm maybe 5'1'', 5'2''. A majority of my friends and classmates stand a good head taller than me, my partner including. And for some reason, me being this small sends off this message that says it's perfectly fine to pick me up in the air as though I am a small child. I don't know why though.

And everyday that we go to the PAC, he will do it. I have told him to stop it, but then all of a sudden, he does it again. He'll wrap his arms tight around my waist and lift me up into the air, at least a foot or so of the ground, only putting me down when I scream. Personally, I hate this. I hate being lifted up into the air. Especially since the one lifting me is usually holding on so tight, it hurts. I know they're doing it so they don't drop me, but it feels like if they squeezed any harder, I would break something. And that's why I'm scared of being picked up like this.

But my partner kept doing this. He kept lifting me up in the air, as high as he could, just so he could hear me scream. He never even asked in the first place if it was alright to pick me up like that. He just went and done it. Sometimes, he'd lift me up several times all in one hour. Sometimes, he'd try and lift me higher than before. Such as grabbing me at the knees and lifting me and grabbing me towards my ankles and lifting. And each time he does this, I scream louder and louder. (Higher pitched too, it seems, depending on the height.)

And I've told him to stop it. Yet he won't. And because he does it so many times and because it hurts every time that he picks me up against my will, I began to dislike him even more and more. For this reason and others. It's at the point where I want to switch my schedule around, but are unable to do so due to complications. So, unfortunately, I'm stuck with him for the rest of this semester. And the only thing I would love more than anything would be to have a different class so I'm not stuck with him.

tl;dr? Basically, there's a guy I greatly dislike in my class and I would just like advice on how to deal with him.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Well, with regards to the "lifting" part of your complaint, I think he just has a crush on you. It's an odd thing with people; we'd rather get negative attention than no attention from the person we are interested in.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to actually talk to him about it. If you just tell him to stop, odds are he won't do it (strange, I know, but it's pretty common). You have to try and seriously talk to him, explain to him what's bothering you and why. People generally respond if you are willing to put in that much time to rebuke someone. Who knows, if my above assumption is correct, that could actually cause him to treat you well.

As for the whole "incentive" thing, if he doesn't care enough about his grade to work hard, then there isn't much you can do.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say explain, I mean pinpoint exactly what is causing the problem and divulge your emotions on the subject. Even for people with the thickest of skulls, a large heaping of emotional reaction will net you a response. Of course, he could just think you're a freak and leave you alone anyway.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Believe me when I say that I've dealt with much, much worse than you've, Araliya.

My advice to you is to deny him any reaction at all when he harasses you, or at least not his desired reaction. Just as if you choose to feed a stray dog, it will return for more because it knows you will provide what it desires. However, it you were to refuse to feed the stray dog any longer, then it will eventually realize that you will no longer provide it with food, and let you be, at least for a while. People such as this fellow here get their amusement wherever they can get it; at all costs, don't allow yourself to be a source of that amusement for them.

And, while it isn't the most peaceful, nor the most intelligent solution, try to physically fight back when he grabs you, if showing no visible reaction fails. I'm familiar with this sort; words and reason bounce right of their skulls. If you manage to break free, report this fellow's behavior to a teacher, saying that you've been repeatedly harassed and assaulted by this person, and I can guarantee that you wll succeed in getting him to cease bothering you, at least for a short period of time.

Muse

you look atrocious
Well, with regards to the "lifting" part of your complaint, I think he just has a crush on you. It's an odd thing with people; we'd rather get negative attention than no attention from the person we are interested in.

I would hope not. Supposedly, he has a girlfriend. Also, I don't know if this would make a difference, but he's 16 and a Junior.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to actually talk to him about it. If you just tell him to stop, odds are he won't do it (strange, I know, but it's pretty common). You have to try and seriously talk to him, explain to him what's bothering you and why. People generally respond if you are willing to put in that much time to rebuke someone. Who knows, if my above assumption is correct, that could actually cause him to treat you well.

I'm not sure if I would want to talk to him about it. I don't think it would really matter to him if I went up to him and told him that I do not like him in any way and would rather like it if he left me alone completely (which is really what I want to happen). If I told him not to lift me up like that, there's still him hiding behind the curtains and grabbing me from behind. (He happens to do this a lot as well.)

As for the whole "incentive" thing, if he doesn't care enough about his grade to work hard, then there isn't much you can do.

I know. And my personal take on group work is that if you don't do your share of the work, then you can just flunk on your own. Most of the group assignments in my classes grade your individual work as well as the group work, so if I did most of the work, then I'll get an A and pass.

Just to clarify, when I say explain, I mean pinpoint exactly what is causing the problem and divulge your emotions on the subject. Even for people with the thickest of skulls, a large heaping of emotional reaction will net you a response. Of course, he could just think you're a freak and leave you alone anyway.

Divulge my emotions on the subject? Well, as it is right now, it would probably just be a lot of anger than anything. And anger always seem to work.

Believe me when I say that I've dealt with much, much worse than you've, Araliya.

Oh? Like what? o.o

My advice to you is to deny him any reaction at all when he harasses you, or at least not his desired reaction. Just as if you choose to feed a stray dog, it will return for more because it knows you will provide what it desires. However, it you were to refuse to feed the stray dog any longer, then it will eventually realize that you will no longer provide it with food, and let you be, at least for a while. People such as this fellow here get their amusement wherever they can get it; at all costs, don't allow yourself to be a source of that amusement for them.

Well, that makes sense. I can try not screaming when he picks me up, but I'm not sure if I would be able to help it or not.

Believe me, it's not fun.

And, while it isn't the most peaceful, nor the most intelligent solution, try to physically fight back when he grabs you, if showing no visible reaction fails. I'm familiar with this sort; words and reason bounce right of their skulls. If you manage to break free, report this fellow's behavior to a teacher, saying that you've been repeatedly harassed and assaulted by this person, and I can guarantee that you wll succeed in getting him to cease bothering you, at least for a short period of time.

Once again, I'm not sure if I would be able to do that or not. Although I can try to physically fight back, I probably wouldn't be able to do anything to him to make him let go. He's like a wrestler, whereas I'm more like a fifth grader.

Though reporting him to a teacher might be the best option since I even have witnesses to him doing this. :/ So he's likely to take my side in this.

Apollo

Silver Member
Even if you could hurt don't. He might get in trouble for it eventually, and could just turn around and say you attacked him too.

Yeah reporting him would most liekly be your best choice. Just bring witnesses, tell them how it makes you feel uncomfortable, and how it hurts.

Muse

you look atrocious
True, though how would I get either of those on school campus? o.o;;

Saix's bane

The darkness that inhibits between the worlds.

I agree that he has a crush on you and it doesn't matter to some guys that they have a girlfriend. They'll flirt with whomever, whenever. It makes me mad to see guys like that, because it ruins other guys's reputations, but they do exist and there are a lot of them. And please don't punch him in the nuts lol.

GHAST

In all seriousness, just kick him in the nuts. I truly doubt he'll report you or hit you back, and it'll let him know his limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back