• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

World of Tres Concert Impressions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Thorf

Yesterday I attended the world premiere performance of this year's Kingdom Hearts concert tour. Here are my thoughts. Spoiler warning if you're going to one of these concerts and don't want to know about it beforehand.

This is the first time I've been to one of these concerts, as I don't live near Tokyo and haven't previously had the chance to attend one. But this year I took the plunge, and went together with my seven year old daughter, who since KHIII is now also a big Kingdom Hearts fan.

The queues were unbelievable. We arrived almost two hours before the concert was due to start, and there was already a sizeable queue to get in. But that was nothing compared to the queue into the merchandise hall. Luckily, we were able to get inside in time to queue again to buy a programme and some merchandise. I got the CD, and my daughter chose the Kingdom Keyblade baton.

The concert itself was split into two parts. Yoko Shimomura explains in the programme that she had originally expected to do a KHIII concert, but Tetsuya Nomura asked her to do the full story of KH, so the concert was split into two parts: the story so far, consisting of a series of suites for previous games in the series; and KHIII, likewise consisting of a series of suites of KHIII music. Excluding the 20 minute intermission, I think the concert ran for about two and a half hours.

The first half was full of favourites, and the theming was rather nice. It began with Dearly Beloved (III version), then went through each game in sequence. Most of these are included on the CD if you can get your hands on it. Not included are Re:Chain of Memories (which was Scent of Silence and Castle Oblivion, and I rather liked), Pretty Pretty Abilities from coded, Dream Drop Distance (which was also rather good — Dream Eaters, Link to All, and Majestic Wings), Music of Another Time (Union Cross, Back Cover, and 0.2 music, represented by Hand in Hand, Case of the Foretellers, and Wave of Darkness respectively), and boss medley Diabolic Bash.

The second half was glorious, especially towards the end. The opening was Face My Fears -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- (unfortunately not on the CD). It was great, although I thought it sounded a little hollow compared to the orchestral version of Don't Think Twice — a comparison made more obvious since they used the opening demo movie for the imagery. All the suites concentrated on world music, including the battle themes, but also the gummi ship and gummi battle themes. They were refreshing and very nicely done.

But the real treat was undoubtedly the end, which began with the Overture to the Decisive Battle — joining all the Keyblade Graveyard battle themes into one suite — before continuing through Hikari instrumental into the ending sequence music, titled Rhapsody in Tres for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra. While we have both of these in other versions already (or at least we will whenever III's soundtrack is finally released!), their live performances were really spectacular, and it's a shame they aren't on the concert CD.

The encore was Don't Think Twice instrumental version, with Yoko Shimomura herself playing the piano. She was also the MC for the whole concert, and she brought out both Takeharu Ishimoto and Tsuyoshi Sekito to interview.

My favourite pieces of the whole concert were Roxas and Xion's themes in Overture to the Decisive Battle and, strangely enough, Hikari instrumental. Both of these had me crying tears of joy.

And then of course Tetsuya Nomura appearing and announcing an overview of the DLC was just the icing on the cake. It was actually quite surreal for me, because the mere idea of hearing this sort of news direct from the source rather than later through the Internet is not something I've ever thought of, let alone experienced before.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Face My Fears -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- (unfortunately not on the CD)
tumblr_inline_nrfxtbFwxq1qepa63_500.gif

drew0512

Awards
Thank you, seems like a wonderful experience (and I'm jealous). Interesting that they played the gummi themes (probably among my favourite KH3 tracks).

The opening was Face My Fears -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- (unfortunately not on the CD)
MadeupThoughtfulHoneyeater-max-1mb[1].gif

Thorf

Thank you, seems like a wonderful experience (and I'm jealous). Interesting that they played the gummi themes (probably among my favourite KH3 tracks).

It was indeed. Pretty costly, though.

I agree about the gummi themes, they turned out rather nice, and it was great to hear them in orchestral form. One weird thing though was that the imagery for these sections didn't match at all, because they were only showing cutscenes, not gameplay — and of course the gummi ship has no cut scenes.

DeusAxeMachina

Could you elaborate on what themes appeared on the other suite pieces? The ones for KH1, 2, Days, BBS, as well as the KH3 suites and the Decisive Battle Overture? If you can't remember some, that's alright, but I'll take any details I can get.

Thorf

Here's a breakdown of the whole thing. Tracks included on the CD have their exact times noted, otherwise the info is from the programme and my memory. The only one without any detail is Diabolic Bash, which I'm afraid I can't remember well enough. (Some of my analysis may be slightly off, and KHIII track titles are all of course tentative.)

Dearly Beloved from Kingdom Hearts III

Music from Kingdom Hearts
0:00 Dive into the Heart -Destati-, 0:51 Destiny Islands, 1:43 Traverse Town, 2:22 Hand in Hand, 3:25-5:02 Dearly Beloved arrangement

Music from Re:Chain of Memories
Scent of Silence, Castle Oblivion

Music from Kingdom Hearts II
0:00 The Afternoon Streets, 1:44 Working Together, 3:00 Reviving Hollow Bastion, 4:07 Cavern of Remembrance, 4:54-6:05 Deep Anxiety

Music from 358/2 Days
0:00 Critical Drive, 1:30 Sacred Moon, 2:55-5:32 Musique pour la tristesse de Xion

Pretty Pretty Abilities from coded

Music from Birth by Sleep
0:00 The Worlds, 0:59 Dearly Dreams, 2:21 Destiny's Union, 3:20 Night in the Dark Dream, 5:08-6:26 Night of Tragedy

Music from Dream Drop Distance
Dream Eaters, Link to All, Majestic Wings

Music of Another Time
Hand in Hand, Case of the Foretellers, Wave of Darkness

Diabolic Bash
Boss Medley

Face My Fears -Kingdom Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres I -Of Gods and Toys-
0:00 Thebes & Mount Olympus Field, 1:20 Thebes & Mount Olympus Battle, 2:52 World Map, 3:25 Starlight Way, 4:19 Starlight Way Battle, 5:35 You've Got a Friend in Me, 7:35 Toy Box Battle, 9:06-10:15 Toy Box Boss Battle

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres II -Tangled with Scares-
0:00 Kingdom of Corona Field, 1:07 Kingdom of Corona Battle, 2:27 Misty Stream, 3:15 Monstropolis Offices Field, 4:01-5:33 Monstropolis Battle

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres III -A Frozen Fracas-
0:00 Arendelle Field, 1:34 Arendelle Battle, 2:57 Desire For All That Is Lost, 4:31-6:21 Major Boss Battle (Sköll)

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres IV -A Pirate's Tale-
0:00 The Caribbean, 1:29 Set Sail, 2:50 The Caribbean Battle, 4:10 The Caribbean Battle 2, 5:23-7:04 Decisive Boss Battle (Davy Jones)

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres V -A Hero's Journey-
0:00 San Franksokyo Field (Night), 1:09 San Fransokyo Battle, 2:10 The Eclipse, 3:11 The Eclipse Battle, 4:19 Final World, 5:44 Keyblade Graveyard Horizon, 7:27-10:19 Cercatori del buio (Armoured Vessels of Xehanort)

Overture to the Decisive Battle
0:00 Rage Awakened, 1:59 Enter the Darkness, 3:20 The Other Promise, 3:53 Vector to the Heavens, 4:43 Forze del Male, 5:27 Dark Impetus, 6:03 Darkness of the Unknown, 6:36-9:06 The Key to All (Master Xehanort Final Battle)

Hikari -Kingdom Tres Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Rhapsody in Tres for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra
(Kingdom Hearts III Ending Theme)

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Here's a breakdown of the whole thing. Tracks included on the CD have their exact times noted, otherwise the info is from the programme and my memory. The only one without any detail is Diabolic Bash, which I'm afraid I can't remember well enough. (Some of my analysis may be slightly off, and KHIII track titles are all of course tentative.)

Dearly Beloved from Kingdom Hearts III

Music from Kingdom Hearts
0:00 Dive into the Heart -Destati-, 0:51 Destiny Islands, 1:43 Traverse Town, 2:22 Hand in Hand, 3:25-5:02 Dearly Beloved arrangement

Music from Re:Chain of Memories
Scent of Silence, Castle Oblivion

Music from Kingdom Hearts II
0:00 The Afternoon Streets, 1:44 Working Together, 3:00 Reviving Hollow Bastion, 4:07 Cavern of Remembrance, 4:54-6:05 Deep Anxiety

Music from 358/2 Days
0:00 Critical Drive, 1:30 Sacred Moon, 2:55-5:32 Musique pour la tristesse de Xion

Pretty Pretty Abilities from coded

Music from Birth by Sleep
0:00 The Worlds, 0:59 Dearly Dreams, 2:21 Destiny's Union, 3:20 Night in the Dark Dream, 5:08-6:26 Night of Tragedy

Music from Dream Drop Distance
Dream Eaters, Link to All, Majestic Wings

Music of Another Time
Hand in Hand, Case of the Foretellers, Wave of Darkness

Diabolic Bash
Boss Medley

Face My Fears -Kingdom Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres I -Of Gods and Toys-
0:00 Thebes & Mount Olympus Field, 1:20 Thebes & Mount Olympus Battle, 2:52 World Map, 3:25 Starlight Way, 4:19 Starlight Way Battle, 5:35 You've Got a Friend in Me, 7:35 Toy Box Battle, 9:06-10:15 Toy Box Boss Battle

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres II -Tangled with Scares-
0:00 Kingdom of Corona Field, 1:07 Kingdom of Corona Battle, 2:27 Misty Stream, 3:15 Monstropolis Offices Field, 4:01-5:33 Monstropolis Battle

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres III -A Frozen Fracas-
0:00 Arendelle Field, 1:34 Arendelle Battle, 2:57 Desire For All That Is Lost, 4:31-6:21 Major Boss Battle (Sköll)

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres IV -A Pirate's Tale-
0:00 The Caribbean, 1:29 Set Sail, 2:50 The Caribbean Battle, 4:10 The Caribbean Battle 2, 5:23-7:04 Decisive Boss Battle (Davy Jones)

Symphonic Suite: The Worlds of Tres V -A Hero's Journey-
0:00 San Franksokyo Field (Night), 1:09 San Fransokyo Battle, 2:10 The Eclipse, 3:11 The Eclipse Battle, 4:19 Final World, 5:44 Keyblade Graveyard Horizon, 7:27-10:19 Cercatori del buio (Armoured Vessels of Xehanort)

Overture to the Decisive Battle
0:00 Rage Awakened, 1:59 Enter the Darkness, 3:20 The Other Promise, 3:53 Vector to the Heavens, 4:43 Forze del Male, 5:27 Dark Impetus, 6:03 Darkness of the Unknown, 6:36-9:06 The Key to All (Master Xehanort Final Battle)

Hikari -Kingdom Tres Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Rhapsody in Tres for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra
(Kingdom Hearts III Ending Theme)

This is one hell of a set-list. Ah man, I wish I could go.

JC:

Website
twitter.com
Thanks for sharing this. I missed the ticket sales in LA (I think they sold out like in a heartbeat lol), then I decided to go to the Dallas' one. It will be my first KH concert! Really appreciate you mentioned the run time so I can plan my trip!

Back