• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

World Concept for KH4 and beyond

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
So I just read the threads about second world visits and it got me thinking, what if the concept of worlds in KH4 had you visiting a world periodically. Hear me out: instead of a central focus mission, characters in said world (Pain and Panic, Athena, Hercules) would have missions that would pop up throughout the game as you progress through the main story and you could either focus on main missions, or get more of the overall story for that world by following the side quests? It would be a little harder to follow the movie plot but it could flesh the world out a lot more. It's one thing I'm seeing as a giant roadblock at the rate KH is picking Disney movies.

Example: You just finished a main quest for Leon in Radiant Garden. You get to the gummi ship menu/world map and you get an alert notification. "Hamm is having a battle in Verum Rex 2 with Rex and he wants your help training him! Hermes has lost one of his sandals and doesn't know where he misplaced it! Pongo needs you to find puppies that have left the house and are yet to return!" and a main quest notification "Leon said that the key to finding out where Luxu went can be found where Captain Flynn hid his greatest treasure. Coordinates have been added to the map."

AR829038

Awards
I get what you're saying, and it sounds VERY similar to 358/2 Days. Not exactly the same of course—Roxas' missions were merely for the benefit of better equipment/abilities/upgrades/etc., whereas this would be for world development.
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it could be implemented naturally into the broader story or how it could be kept from getting laborious like the Days missions became.

ZeVaine

Awards
I like the idea of the worlds having additional things to do, and a variety of reasons to return, as you progress in terms of story and leveling up/acquiring abilities. We have it to some degree but... to a mixed extent.

I know some people hate this, and call it annoying "back tracking", but I like it when it's done well - because it makes the game worlds feel more fun to explore, and relevant game-wise.

Having the Hercules cups unlock, for example in Kh2 and somewhat in Kh1, was a good example. Maybe more stuff like that and even the rare/mushroom heartless type stuff would be fun.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I mean, Olympus kinda had that with that small sidequest of getting those Hercules action figures. But it was the only world that did it. Something tells me that, if they had more time, the time could have developed "post story" content for the worlds after finishing the main campaign. Instead of giving us a second visit, just a couple of small sidequests that count as worldbuilding.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I get what you're saying, and it sounds VERY similar to 358/2 Days. Not exactly the same of course—Roxas' missions were merely for the benefit of better equipment/abilities/upgrades/etc., whereas this would be for world development.
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it could be implemented naturally into the broader story or how it could be kept from getting laborious like the Days missions became.

Yeah, of course there would have to be a degree of care when implementing a system like this in order to make sure it doesn't hit points of tedium, but with the level cap in KH3 being 50 (cause after that you get next to nothing for leveling up) it could be a better way to level up and get yourself maxed out. The battle portals were a good idea, but there were too few of them and they were just tiny battles.

I like the idea of the worlds having additional things to do, and a variety of reasons to return, as you progress in terms of story and leveling up/acquiring abilities. We have it to some degree but... to a mixed extent.

I know some people hate this, and call it annoying "back tracking", but I like it when it's done well - because it makes the game worlds feel more fun to explore, and relevant game-wise.

Having the Hercules cups unlock, for example in Kh2 and somewhat in Kh1, was a good example. Maybe more stuff like that and even the rare/mushroom heartless type stuff would be fun.
I don't mind the concept of back tracking in theory, as long as I'm not 100% retracing my steps then it shouldn't feel like you're doing the same thing over again. As far as the mushroom thing, we did have the Flan which were pretty similar. It doesn't really need to add anything new to the world either, just give us more to do in it. Like if in San Fransokyo we could have found Yokai masks hidden in places and maybe lead to a fight with an enemy made of those nanobots. It could just be one of those golems but made of bots, nothing fancy. Monstropolis could have us find canisters of energy they lost in the factory during the outbreak, Toy Box could have us find change that Hamm dropped, Arandelle already had the Olaf Minigame and the Slider minigame. Just little things to give us reason to hang around.

I mean, Olympus kinda had that with that small sidequest of getting those Hercules action figures. But it was the only world that did it. Something tells me that, if they had more time, the time could have developed "post story" content for the worlds after finishing the main campaign. Instead of giving us a second visit, just a couple of small sidequests that count as worldbuilding.
It sucked that Olympus was the only one with a side quest. I want more of those even if they are just fetch quests.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I really like the idea of there being new sidequests for the various worlds as the game goes on and you have reasons to revisit the worlds, especially if those quests do some world building or expand the explorable area by completing them.

Yen Sid's Tower could function as a base, where you can get and go on sidequests with other Guardians. Like for example a sidequest where Kairi wants to retread her steps as a child in Radiant Garden, but doesn't want to do so alone.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I really like the idea of there being new sidequests for the various worlds as the game goes on and you have reasons to revisit the worlds, especially if those quests do some world building or expand the explorable area by completing them.

Yen Sid's Tower could function as a base, where you can get and go on sidequests with other Guardians. Like for example a sidequest where Kairi wants to retread her steps as a child in Radiant Garden, but doesn't want to do so alone.
This sounds like a nice idea. Instead of confining some plot details behind Reports, just illustrate them in sidequests.

SweetYetSalty

Awards

So many characters could get development/screentime/backstories with this idea. Also it could bring new group dynamics.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This sounds like a nice idea. Instead of confining some plot details behind Reports, just illustrate them in sidequests.
Yeah would over a more show and not tell method of learning things. We could be going places in side missions to learn more about certain events and find items that expand on the lore in places like scala.

So many characters could get development/screentime/backstories with this idea. Also it could bring new group dynamics.
Yeah it'd be a great excuse to explore different dynamics and also to give us temporary new party members in worlds we've already explored.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I love that the idea is still being expanded upon! It could be what elevates Kingdom Hearts from what it is now to even greater heights!

Back