• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will the KH series stand the test of time?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijuguy19

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I've been thinking about this lately. Since the series in the long run has had both good and not good moments over the years and I have to wonder. Will it eventually stand the test of time or at least the current saga? Reason I asked this was because most of the pitfalls the series had may possible have it be aged and not hold up well in the long run. What do you guys think?

Dr_Mario64

I think so. The only game that hasn't aged particularly gracefully is KH1, and to be fair, it WAS the first game in the series so some roughness is to be expected. It was really in KH2 where the series really came into its own and formed an identity as a franchise. It was there that the series gained some consistency in both the plot and gameplay philosophies that KH2 established. If there's anything that would hold people back from playing it later, I would have to argue it's the issue of releasing on so many damn consoles! Granted, we still have the HD Remixes, but the time those will last is anyone's guess.

Venx

KH2 has the greatest gameplay I ever experienced, a great story, great bossfights and amazing worlds if you like disney. KH2 aged great, I never really liked the controls of 1, but you can still play it. Haven't played a KH game where I tought "oh, that is great, but just for the year it was made.".

Kaijuguy19

I don't think anyone knows what you mean by that. Could you clarify.

What I mean is that would the games be able to hold up in future years in terms of how well it's quality in it's gameplay,story,characters,etc elements are done or would they show their age by their flaws.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
KH1 and KH2 have deep systems and mechanics that still hold up under the right circumstances. (Hard modes)

The others? No. They won't stand the test of time. They lack the amount of content and quality of content that makes it worth it. DDD's BASE gameplay (basic movement, mob combat) comes close to a console experience, but no cigar.

The stories don't hold up.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think it does. I still love playing KH1 and 2, and they are still fun to play. The game itself has marked itself in gaming history with one of the most unique cross-overs ever imagined.

Anagram

Banned
I dont think the series will stand. What got it it's start with KH1 was playing at all the "disney kids" of the era. Bringing all your favorite disney characters into an adventure you could take with them while adding Final Fantasy for a little surprise getting a few of that fanbase in.

For the most part is has been this generation carrying the series. Those either older enough to have started with Kh1 or those that jumped in at 2. And many of us are older now and many more, while loving it to extents, also seeing the growing flaws in story, character development, coherency and so on.
And like discussed in another thread the fun of being in the fandom is gone. Back in the KH1 up to post KH2 days yet pre-Days/handheld days the fanbase was incredibly lively. You had theories everywhere, fun and surprisingly deep discussions on nobodies, heartless, Roxas and so on.
There was so much to delve into, talk about or theorize. It was fun then. But now? Now it's almost dead for anyone that remembers the old times. This site included is a shadow of what it was. In older days it was hard to even log on for the slower internet people due to all the traffic.

I think as far as KH1 or 2 goes they'll stand better or maybe fully stand the test of time even if only for a limited time. KH1 was where it started, it was magical, it played on those feelz, it was simple and it took a creative yet original turn on your favorite movies and characters weaving it into a blended larger story.
Admittedly it had gameplay flaws but as mentioned already it was the first so flaws are natural. In this contrast KH2 was superior on the technical standpoint. Gameplay was smoother, faster, slowed better. It however had it's own flaw in the form of being way to damn easy.

So for these reasons of story (KH1) and gameplay (KH2) I think they'll stand the test of time far better than any of the handheld titles will. Console spreading, the advent of interview quotes, incoherent and so many other things they tacked onto the series and story just makes them poor points to jump into the series at. They took the simple yet magical and fun storyline of KH1 through KH2 and made it a convoluted mess.

Of course for all I know some generation some decade later when all these disney movies come out of the "disney vault" will take it up again as we age to the point of no longer caring but I bet you the games they jump in with are KH1 & 2 while asking "what the hell is Days/BBS/DDD/Coded?" =/

Launchpad

Awards
I don't get why people say KH1 is unpolished. The amount of stagger animations, elemental magic advantages, and tech point opportunities suggest a level of polish and depth that no KH game besides 2 has even accomplished..

Anagram

Banned
I don't get why people say KH1 is unpolished. The amount of stagger animations, elemental magic advantages, and tech point opportunities suggest a level of polish and depth that no KH game besides 2 has even accomplished..

I honestly don't know either. Many treat it like it was horrible when the only stand out flaw was, at times, camera. =\

Anagram

Banned
There was also the platforming, and the art style looks pretty rough compared to the newer games, but it's not a bad game at all! I'd personally put it towards the middle of my list.

The platforming was great. The only time I'd call a KH actually and truly interactive. You could do things that'd actually effect the world like using thunder on a power line or fire on merlins door.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I think KH1 will last quite a bit because it will become the sort of the thing where if you consider yourself a "gamer" you'll need to play this game. But I highly doubt 5 years from now there will be a huge surge of people wanting to play Days/COM/DDD/Coded because who has time for that.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Five years from now will be like 2 years after KH3 releases, lol. I can almost guarantee you people will still be playing those games. Especially if they are easily accessible (i.e. the HD collections)

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Regardless of whether it "stands the test of time" in a general sense, I will always love it and play it. Kingdom Hearts is one of my most absolute favorite things in the entire world, and I will continue to love it and play the games until I'm dead.

Launchpad

Awards
KH1 is a game I'm incredibly good at, know just about everything about, and have played 1000 times. I'm not exactly bored of it per say, but I can mentally turn off while I play it, so it's usually therapeutic for me to just run through the game in a sitting or two when I want to think about other things. Skipping cutscenes of course, I've seen them enough times. :p

namine_ftw

I’m a bit unsure as to what you’re asking. If you’re asking will this series be remembered into the future, I will have to say yes based on the premise alone (Disney meets Final Fantasy). KH1 and KH2 were fun, relatively simple games, and many people have fond memories of playing them. KH1 is still enjoyable 13 years after it was released. It was a detailed game that had a lot of heart put into it. You didn’t have to read various translated interviews/play a bunch of games on different platforms to understand the plot as a whole. The first two main installments, I believe, could stand the test of time.

I just don’t see the spin-off games having that same sense of longevity. I can’t envision the current “saga” being held up as anything except perhaps a cautionary tale against console spreading in the future. The plot has become a jumbled, convoluted mess that has even people who have played all the installments struggling to understand what’s going on. It’s not an easily accessible series for new players to get into (especially children) and with many old fans leaving because they’ve become disillusioned with the series, the fanbase itself will just continue to fade away over time.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
There was also the platforming, and the art style looks pretty rough compared to the newer games, but it's not a bad game at all! I'd personally put it towards the middle of my list.

Hmm, you have a rare opinion there :) Most, if not every other forum member on this site, really likes to put one on their list, and for all of the reasons you listed here. They think the story is far better that KHII's (which is my opinion as well), they like the gameplay better, they love the platforming and the world-building, and they especially like the art style of the game! It's on the top of my list as well, and, not to offend KHII defenders, but KHII is probably one of the worst games in the franchise. It's sloppy, rushed, and just seems like it was slapped together for the 2006 release date and only after did they decide to fix it and balance it out with the Final Mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back