• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Microtransactions affect Kingdom Hearts 3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijuguy19

I've just watched Angry Joe's review on Deus Ex Mankind Divided and he mentions about the microtransactions in the game and how he's worried that it'll affect gaming in the future in a bad way.=. So it makes me wonder if this is also going to happen for KH3 and even FF15 as well?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
From what I've seen with Square's recent games, the only one with DLC that I waited for the PC version for (Because it made me want to RAWRRRR because it was so extreme, there was some story hidden in the DLC) was FF13-2. SO FAR, they haven't done another FF13-2 DLC wise.

With Lightening Returns, it was costumes that were DLC. And Square seems not to put in true microtransactions very often in their RPGs (I've only seen that in one game, and that was Bravely Default, and you could duck paying for it if you were patient) other than bits of DLC. I think they learned their lesson on FF13-2, but we could see some paid dlc in 15 and KH3. Let's hope it's just alternate costumes or something like that. ^^ Or like the cash shop in FFXIV; you don't have to buy that stuff, and I haven't bought anything from there, I just pay the monthly fee..

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dear god. DEAR GOD.

I had a passing thought about that after watching the Jimquisition about Deus Ex's tacked on microtransaction bullshit. From what it sounds like, much of this stuff is being pushed by corporate at SE Europe...(But SE Japan has quite a number of on-site Japan staff and execs there so lol)

I would hope SE Japan nor Disney didn't really give a damn about this stuff but let's be honest. Both companies like money. I could totally see DLC potion/ether/elixir/tent packs or AP/HP/EXP/ATK/DEF/MAG Up packs for sale.

We should be resigned to the idea of it. Many JRPGs have DLC like this tbh

tiofrodo

Meh, i would wait for FFXV to see if it is something that i should worry about. I don't know about Deus ex but as long as it isn't something that is beyond locked content and is just some kind of booster i don't really care.
Now being kinda off topic, i find it funny how reactionary the industry is perceived to be, like how basically everyone is waiting for the next big money grabbing scheme.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
True but I do agree; let's see what they do with FFXV. If there's microtransactions there THEN we worry. If there's just some paid dlc, then nothing to worry about, especially if said dlc doesn't have anything to do with the main story.

I seriously doubt after FF 13-2 they'd stuff story points in any DLC. I think everyone is aware a pretty good stink was raised over that.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Ugh, just thinking about the Final Fantasy XIII-2 way of including DLC makes me freak out. I want to get my fucking shit ingame and not buy weapons on the PSN or anything.
Please, SE. Please understand.

Luxu

Awards
Well, maybe a DLC further explaining the background lore of Xehanort and Eraqus.

Or maybe explaining the true goals of the MoM.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, maybe a DLC further explaining the background lore of Xehanort and Eraqus.

Or maybe explaining the true goals of the MoM.

That isn't really what this thread is about. DLC is definitely a form of a microtransaction but OP means like content that gives you in-game boosts like the jewel packs in KHUX.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Dear god. DEAR GOD.

I had a passing thought about that after watching the Jimquisition about Deus Ex's tacked on microtransaction bullshit. From what it sounds like, much of this stuff is being pushed by corporate at SE Europe...(But SE Japan has quite a number of on-site Japan staff and execs there so lol)

I would hope SE Japan nor Disney didn't really give a damn about this stuff but let's be honest. Both companies like money. I could totally see DLC potion/ether/elixir/tent packs or AP/HP/EXP/ATK/DEF/MAG Up packs for sale.

We should be resigned to the idea of it. Many JRPGs have DLC like this tbh

Well, because Disney owns the copyright to the franchise, I'm pretty sure that they'd prevent Square Enix from placing volatile DLC practices onto a mainline Kingdom Hearts game. Now I'm not saying that they're wont be any DLC at all whatsoever, rather, the DLC that is available will not make or break the experience of the game.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Well, because Disney owns the copyright to the franchise, I'm pretty sure that they'd prevent Square Enix from placing volatile DLC practices onto a mainline Kingdom Hearts game. Now I'm not saying that they're wont be any DLC at all whatsoever, rather, the DLC that is available will not make or break the experience of the game.
And just why would Disney stop SE from implementing DLC?

Muke

whatever
Awards
What?
Nobody would say 'no' to money in the gaming business.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Lol Disney likes money, man. They didn't stop EA from this similar practice with Star Wars: Battlefront.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...=UP0006-CUSA00640_00-BATTLEFRONT00000:ADD-ONS

Nobody's saying SE would add DLC that would make or break the experience. The stuff in Deus Ex certainly doesn't. It just disgusting that they added that crap to begin with with the hopes of people buying into it.

Disney Infinity was its own brand of wasteful spending on the power packs. Might as well have been a microtransaction. So please do not tell anybody Disney will keep this stuff out of KH3. They'd welcome it.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
And just why would Disney stop SE from implementing DLC?

Where in my previous post did that I say "stop" DLC practices? I said "stop volatile DLC practices". There's a clear difference in the phrasing of the former and latter sentences. What I was talking about was DLC practices that ultimately force consumers to dish out additional cash.

And even so, I clearly stated that paid DLC is going to happen regardless. I just did not want it to be abusive.

What?
Nobody would say 'no' to money in the gaming business.

You completely missed the point of my sentence… did you not read the part of "Now I'm not saying that they're wont be any DLC at all whatsoever?"

Lol Disney likes money, man. They didn't stop EA from this similar practice with Star Wars: Battlefront.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...=UP0006-CUSA00640_00-BATTLEFRONT00000:ADD-ONS
Nobody's saying SE would add DLC that would make or break the experience. The stuff in Deus Ex certainly doesn't. It just disgusting that they added that crap to begin with with the hopes of people buying into it.
Disney Infinity was its own brand of wasteful spending on the power packs. Might as well have been a microtransaction. So please do not tell anybody Disney will keep this stuff out of KH3. They'd welcome it.

Disney Infinity is its own genre of gaming. Toys to life function differently as the toys involved in the game can function beyond the game itself. Same with the power packs. They can be seen as collectibles (albeit fairly terrible ones)… however, I was unaware of the abusive Star Wars Battlefield DLC predicaments so that really opened my eyes and made me re-consider Disney and their stance on abusive DLC practices.

Ultimately, I’m not saying that Disney doesn’t want money, quite the contrary, they want all the money in the world like any other business. I just don’t know how to objectively view Kingdom Hearts and DLC because it just hasn’t been done before. At the end of the day, my personal opinion is my personal opinion. I’m not trying to place it as a definitive fact, so quite frankly, I don’t understand the attacking of my opinion like this.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You didn't really word it as an opinion, which is why you received so much contention.

I can see what you mean by Toys to Life being different, but having to spend X amount of money on multiple random packs in hopes of getting the ones you want/need is pretty similar to the concept of spending money in games for similar "random" packs (I.e. Overwatch, KHUX). The only difference is that it has a physical level to it, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that one would need to spend money in either scenario to get something that serves as an add-on to a game.

It is true we have yet to have DLC in the franchise, but it isn't hard to imagine what it'd be like when there are so many SE games with it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Bravely Default and its sequel, Second, have microtransactions. And those are pretty recent RPG and SE games, so there's that. I honestly don't care if KH3 has microtransactions, and I seriously doubt DLC will be an obligatory means. I, personally, don't have a problem with microtrans, as long as they don't break the experience, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back